Pecari rex, Equus regina: American Domesticates 3.0

Dathi THorfinnsson said:
Actually, don't forget the OTL Guinea Pig, used as a food source through much of OTL's south america. Your comment about small mammals being too small didn't work out OTL.

Good catch. I was thinking more of mice than guinea pigs when I talked about small rodents. Guinea pigs will be domesticated ITTL as local microlivestock in areas which are too cold for peccaries to be comfortably raised.

If you could make the ferrets into all-purpose verminators, like cats, or even hunting companions, like European ferrets, maybe that would be useful enough to justify it. But, I'm skeptical of the possibilities here, too. But, it's your timeline, and you know what you're doing; so, I won't press the issue anymore.

I always do appreciate feedback. I'll fully admit that the ferret is more for flavor than a serious addition to the alt-domesticate menagerie, so rule of cool was more of a factor for this one than peccaries or horses.

Quipu! I wish more people would do stuff with quipu: it's such an interesting and unique thing to consider. Do you think it could be developed into a true "written" language?

Yes, certainly. By just using a set of different number combinations of knot on a string (sort of like written Morse code) to symbolize different sounds, quipu definitely could become a form of writing. Whether it actually will or not is another matter, but it's definitely possible.

Yes, certainly. By just using a set of different number combinations of knot on a string (sort of like written Morse code) to symbolize different sounds, quipu definitely could become a form of writing. Whether it actually will or not is another matter, but it's definitely possible.
I'm glad somebody brought writing up. I've wondered what Quipu might look like as a written language rather than as knots. I pictured it developing as a script in which characters or syllables of some kind would be represented first by a drawing of the corresponding knot on parchment or stone. It might eventually elvolve into a more complex script which would retain letters based on vertical lines and various arrangements of curves, notches, loops and other shapes within the line. The end result would might vaguely resemble traditional Mongolian script, though more clearly based upon lines and lacking those sweeping brush strokes. I put a sample of Mongolian text so you can see what I mean.

smp_manchu.gif

From omniglot.com.

Quipu script can also look like the oghamic script (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogham). I imagine than a sentence in this script was a like a real quipu : an horizontal line for a sentence and the words of sentence with vertical lines. In the vertical line there were some group of line and/or point for the letters. Like this :

paint3.png

It's a sentence of four words, each combination of points or lines are a letter.

First word : aca
Second word : dag
Third word : c
Forth word : eeb

For this script maya numbers are good.

There are thousands of questions that circulate about the ancient civilizations of the Columbias. The best answers for most of these early civilizations can be made through educated guesses by looking at archaeology. We can infer, for example, that the ancestors of the Katshunva peoples of the North Columbian northeast took over land through intermarriage, as tools and goods traditionally manufactured by them show up in some of their neighbor’s camp sites, and goods made by their neighbors are quite common in their early villages. As they replaced their neighbors through this intermarriage, it can be deduced that the early Katshunva practiced matrilocal marriage, which is a useful tool for tribal peoples in absorbing potential rivals, and that their birthrate was higher than the neighbors they absorbed, which is borne out by their more intensive use of corn and horse milk shown in the remains of their storage sheds.

Similarly, although we have no statement from the ancient Caral people that they were governed by a theocracy, there is evidence for this as their cities were often built next to large pyramids that would have required a lot of labor and do seem to have served no other purpose than ritual. However, educated guesses like these never paint the whole picture. The medieval Europeans also built great monuments for religious reasons, but many of them lived under secular rulers, not theocrats. Ultimately, there is not a lot of certainty regarding these early civilizations.

Pyramid-of-Djoser-Ten-Oldest-Buildings-in-the-World_thumb.jpg

A Caral pyramid

Certainty begins around 600 BC, as the different cultures of the Columbias continued their moves towards civilization and all it entails. While the Katshunva people built higher walls and greater fortifications around their villages and increasingly became more hierarchical-assuming of course, that the great lodges in the centers of their villages were made for chiefs-a major breakthrough was occurring in Middle Columbia.

In the large cities and fertile valleys, the Gasjbataná people were beginning to make records of tribute, history, and religion through true writing. They used images and abstract shapes not to jog their memories like the knotted strings of Caral but to represent words and sounds. By using true writing, they could store and use a tremendous amount of information, more than any one individual could hope to memorize, and leave this information literally engraved in stone for future generations to eventually decipher and read.

From this, a portion of their civilization and way of life can be known for certain. They sacrificed horses, seeing these as a sacred later addition to creation made by the sky gods to reward the first humans who showed the bravery necessary to leave their underworld homeland for the sunlit surface. They put a high value on bloodlines, with the noble families purported to be the descendants of these surface explorers, who led the rest from the underworld to be servants. These noble families were responsible for providing the sacrificial horses for the 260-day ritual year, which was necessary to observe to keep the gods of sky and under-earth appeased.

There are still aspects of their civilization that must be the subject of archaeological guesswork, however. The common people would have had a nightmare using the elite’s 260-day calendar to plant their crops, and so must have used a calendar more similar to the a 365 day solar calendar or 360 day lunar calendar. The presence of ‘desecrated’ temple and palace murals which seem to have been methodically chipped away show that this early civilization had great conflicts between powerful families and cities-conflicts that seem to have resulted in the losers getting literally erased from history, the power of the written word to record information turned into a weapon to remove people from a literate society’s history. Of course, due to the erasure of this information there is very little known about what caused these conflicts or why the punishment of ‘erasure’ was chosen. Writing ultimately has its limits, but as an organizational tool it would provide a great degree of help to the Columbian civilizations.

Just discovered this TL, consider me subscribed. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes and what happened when the Europeans arrive and start regular interaction with these civilizations. Keep up the good work!

And so the wheels of 'civilization' are turning,:D

Yes, though I should point out that with writing they're turning pretty much as per OTL so far. How far and fast writing spreads, well, that could be a little different.

Eckener said:
Just discovered this TL, consider me subscribed. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes and what happened when the Europeans arrive and start regular interaction with these civilizations. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, hopefully I will:)

Will there be massive die-offs in both Europe and the Colombias as diseases cross both ways?

No, for the reasons put forward in the section on disease. The *Native Americans are exposed to germs that give them cross immunity to two of the big killers, smallpox and tuberculosis, while their own germ warfare armory is not nearly as large as the Europeans. There will be more death on the Eurasian side, but it won't be comparable to the havoc wrecked on the Native Americans IOTL, and there will be less death on the *Native American side due to the cross immunities.

Outside of Europe and Eurasia, it depends on which diseases spread where and at what time. Overall the death toll from disease will be the same, but it will be differently distributed-one place might get a gruesomely higher death toll, while another will take less hits from disease than OTL.

EDIT: I should probably put in the caveat that in my answer, 'massive' means 'massive compared to OTL'. The die outs may not be small.

wendolpho said:
Wow, this is great! Subscribed. Please keep this one alive!

This timeline ain't dying, I'm just taking my time to make good product.

No, for the reasons put forward in the section on disease. The *Native Americans are exposed to germs that give them cross immunity to two of the big killers, smallpox and tuberculosis, while their own germ warfare armory is not nearly as large as the Europeans. There will be more death on the Eurasian side, but it won't be comparable to the havoc wrecked on the Native Americans IOTL, and there will be less death on the *Native American side due to the cross immunities.

Outside of Europe and Eurasia, it depends on which diseases spread where and at what time. Overall the death toll from disease will be the same, but it will be differently distributed-one place might get a gruesomely higher death toll, while another will take less hits from disease than OTL.

EDIT: I should probably put in the caveat that in my answer, 'massive' means 'massive compared to OTL'. The die outs may not be small.
The 90% death rates that happened OTL in North America certainly will be avoided, but I could easily see something as bad as the 30% death rate of the Black Death. Even if it's only 10%, that's massive in my book.

The Shipmasters

The descendant Valdivia culture of South Columbia had not changed in many ways following the introduction of peccaries. They were not building great cities or erecting great monuments. Their lifestyle of farming, fishing and pottery was largely unchanged, but peccaries did allow them to redirect their energy by providing an alternate source of food.

The extra source of protein from peccaries did not dissuade the coastal people from fishing. In fact, it made them more willing to experiment with methods of fishing and boat building, as failure meant that they would not have to go without protein, merely forgo a little variety. Trade with the cities of Caral added an impetus to boat-building: boats that carried larger cargoes could make their owners more money, and if they did not have to double as fishing boats then they could be more specialized in shape.

Different experiments were tried and ultimately discarded by the Valdivia culture. The balsa-wood raft, although easily built and capable of carrying big loads, did not last very long in shallow water as the soft wood was destroyed by worms. Hardwood rafts lasted longer, but rafting into open ocean was slow and difficult-which could be fatal if a sailor got blown off course. The principle of the raft was sound, but the shipwrights needed to find a way to gain a raft’s stability without sacrificing a canoe’s ability to travel quickly. The result combined both the speed and durability of a hardwood canoe and a raft’s steadiness by connecting two canoes together using a wooden frame. A flexible balsa mast with a cotton sail could be attached to this frame to catch the wind, propelling the catamaran forward. The Valdivia culture had created a game-changer that would unite the different Columbias as much as-and arguably more so-than horseback-based travel.

PolynesianCatc.100bc.jpg

While writing was being developed, the isthmus that connected Middle to South Columbia would see the arrival of the first catamarans from South Columbia, chasing fish, whales, and the hope of new trade opportunities. The sleepy fishing and farming villages saw the arrival of a new people-the ancestors of the collection of ethnicities currently known as the Awapi, or Water People. Over the next few centuries, the Awapi would become the main connector between Middle and South Columbia. Their revolutionary sailing technology would also create the direct trade links between North and South Columbia in the Antilles Sea as their boatmaking knowledge crossed the narrow isthmus and was enthusiastically adopted by fishermen and merchants looking to make long trips.

Although the idea of water-based trade contacts between Middle and South Columbia seems like an obvious and easy solution to the major geographical barriers between the two, sailing from South Columbia to the Isthmus was no easy feat. The equatorial settlements were separated from the nearest coastal villages in the Isthmus by a harsh coastline consisting mostly of cliffs and impenetrable jungle, making it difficult to land and get supplies. Although technically they followed the coastline for their first voyages, in practice the early Awapi might as well have been in the open ocean.

choco--colombia.jpg

The discontinuous beaches

The people of the isthmus must have been highly surprised when the sailors appeared on their shores. They would never have seen such great ships before, and their own canoes must have seemed quite pitiful compared to the great Awapi catamarans. However, they had a few surprises in turn for the Awapi, who had never before seen horses.

The desert horses had filtered southward into the isthmus from the great civilizations of Middle Columbia, leapfrogging through jungles to open savannahs and seasonally dry forests. Their ability to exploit more arid soil and plants too tough for peccaries made them valuable to farmers in these more marginal areas, even though introducing them to wetter climates was difficult. The jungles and mountains at the south end of the Isthmus provided a choke point, where the terrain was simply too tough and wet for horses to go, effectively blocking them off from entering South Columbia by land.

As contact became more established between the Isthmus and South Columbia, the horses were transported past the choke point and to the equator and the arid lands to its south by the Awapi. Moving horses took great effort-the Awapi would have had to recreate the rafts their ancestors had abandoned to fit horses, cross-tie them to keep them under control, and tow them to the equator. The results were worth it, however. The military and domestic use of the horse was instantly apparent to the lords of the cities of Caral, who showered those who brought them horses with wealth. The desert horses quickly multiplied in this arid land, providing the well-to-do with a status symbol as well as rapid transport. Horses spread rapidly along the arid coast, parallel to the Kechay Mountains were camels still dominated.

horses_Jackson_Mountain_HMA_BLM.jpg

The 90% death rates that happened OTL in North America certainly will be avoided, but I could easily see something as bad as the 30% death rate of the Black Death. Even if it's only 10%, that's massive in my book.

That's true. Depending on how it's distributed, a 10% death rate could mean every major city of a civilization wiped out, or alternatively that everyone, everywhere in the civilization has lost at least one relative they personally knew to disease. Either way, the effect on the survivors will be extremely large.

North of the Great Lakes, hunter-gatherers and pastoralists radiating into the forests from the northern plains began to discover the limits of their lifestyle during the Woodland period.

At first, horses remained extremely useful to these early hunters. They could chase down deer and other animals on horseback, as well as defend themselves against attack. The further into the woods they went, however, the less useful horses became. Deer could outmaneuver horses in the forests, and had to be pursued on foot or trapped in order to ensure a successful hunt. Horses could rarely be ridden in straight, fast routes through the woods, undercutting their military usefulness. Even as they set fires to clear the undergrowth that tripped up their horses, the hunters moved even more northward were fewer and fewer of their herds could survive the winters. Horses could not be sustainably bred in the northern forests. They were no longer a reliable source of meat, hide, or labor.

The local reindeer, on the other hand, were. They could survive extremely harsh winters, produce milk, and pound for pound could pull more than a horse. Just like the wild horses of the southwestern deserts, reindeer could be tamed. However, they could not be controlled as easily as horses. They did not live in hierarchies, and so would not accept humans as ‘dominant’ individuals that controlled them. Most importantly, they were highly migratory, roaming thousands of miles through the taiga to the high arctic.

reindeer_1.jpg

With almost any other species in the Columbias, this would have been a deal-breaker. In fact, it was a deal breaker for the Plains people, who never domesticated the highly migratory bison when the more easily controlled horse was available. But as these pastoralists branched off into the taiga, they did not have the luxury of choice. If they wanted to keep using animals to carry their possessions and have even semi-reliable access to meat or milk, they had to follow the reindeer herds wherever they went.

This is what they did-through the taiga and onto the tundra and back again, the one-time horse pastoralists followed the reindeer. Just as their cousins on the plains did, they attached travois to some reindeer to pull a collection of their possessions and folded tents which could be rapidly set up wherever the herds stopped. Although they did not control their animals nearly to the degree that horse herders and peccary farmers did, the reindeer peoples still culled unruly animals from their herds and did their best to keep the ‘tame’ herds segregated from the ‘wild’ ones, lest their livestock run away.

These pioneers were the ancestors of the people known as the Askimawey [1]. These herders made and still make a living in land that would be considered useless scrub not only by future colonialists, but by many of the other peoples of the Columbias. Even in the far north, however, they were not alone. As they went north and west of their home points, they would meet peoples previously untouched by the domestication of the horse and its butterflies. These would include the Dene, hunters possibly from a second wave of human migration into the Columbias that were moving south of the arctic and the paleo-Hellujar [2] of the high arctic.

The Dene peoples would eventually adopt reindeer herding, copying the Askimawey’s lifestyle and competing with them, a pattern that their descendants would repeat as they encroached on the more southern peoples. The paleo-Hellujar, on the other hand, did not compete with the Askimawey. Their lifestyle did not bring them into conflict with the herders, and the rare moments where these peoples met seemed to end either in trade or the two sides largely ignoring each-other. The paleo-Hellujar were hunters, but focused almost exclusively on marine mammals. They did not even have bows and arrows, using spears and harpoons to hunt seals and other animals at breathing holes. They were masters of survival in one of the harshest environments in the world, but so utterly focused in their method of survival that they did not appear to have any flexibility to adapt in the face of the stimuli presented by the Askimawey.

start01b.jpg

Hellujar Mask-Excavated in a medieval Norse settlement in Groenland, Ivory Island.

This appearance is wrong, of course. All cultures change, even if some are more conservative than others. The paleo-Hellujar would eventually become the modern Hellujar, though it would take a good deal of environmental upheaval and social shock for them to become the culture that still stubbornly hangs on in the High Arctic.

[1] ATL ‘twins’ of the Cree and Innu
[2] OTL known as the Dorset Culture

Something about lacing? Or were you trying for 'snowshoe', which is a different word. At least in Cree.

"Awe" is a proposed proto-Algonquian word for 'relative' (I don't have the vocab list with me right now for the exact cite, but it is free online). The "Askim" implies connection, being tied or laced together.

Keep in mind that, like many of OTL's names for Native peoples, Askimawey is a term that has gone through several mistranslations, mispronunciations, and misattributions. It's the word applied to all the *Algonquian pastoralist/hunters in the taiga, though not all use the term for themselves or think of themselves as related (although their language and culture certainly is). At least it is a term that comes from their own language, unlike Hellujar which comes from Norse (I meant it to be a contraction of Hellulander, but please correct me if that doesn't make any sense).

On a related note, I really should use this opportunity to thank native-languages.org. The basic information they have on their site has been a great help to me in both grounding my understanding of languages and pushing me to greater research.

Last edited: