PC:WI: Have the Hawker Hunter used instead of Republic F-84 Thunderflash & Thunderstreaks!

As it says on the tin.

Get the Hawker Hunter to be ordered and license built for European nations instead of the Republic F-84 Thunderflash & Thunderstreaks?

Regards filers.

I wasn't aware that any European nations built the F-84F & RF-84F under licence. Please tell me more.

However, the Belgians and Dutch did build Hunters under licence IOTL.

Finally, what is the earliest permissible POD?

Last edited:
Have the Hunter enter service 2 years earlier and fight in the Korean war where it dominates the Mig 15s during the last year of the war.

I'm not aware of any serious attempt to sell the Hunter to West Germany. As I understand it there was a half hearted attempt to sell the Saunders Roe 177, but that was torpedoed when the UK lost interest.
In any event the Hawker P1103 would presumably have better matched West German requirements.

How do you figure? They're completely seperate companies and the Lockheed bribery scandal was years after the F-84 was sold to Europe. The two are not even remotely related

America, always evil, you see...

Actually, seems that MDAP funds were used quite ingeniously in some cases. In early 1950's the issue was how to create combat capability as fast as possible rather than just handling pork, like during later years.

France was the main operator of the Mystère IV and at the peak usage operated 6 squadrons. Most of the aircraft were purchased under a United States Offshore Procurement contract and many were returned to US custody after they were retired.[2] In April 1953 the United States government and the United States Air Force placed an order for 223 aircraft to be operated by the French.[2]

This plan provided for the production of military aircraft in Belgium, France, Italy, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Prolonged bilateral negotiations followed, in which numerous financial, technical and productions problems arose. All these have happily been overcome and the United States Government have now signed offshore procurement contracts for military aircraft to the value of $281,540,000 with Belgium, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. An additional contract with Italy is now in the final stage of negotiation.

These United States offshore procurement contracts make provision for the delivery of substantial numbers of the British Hawker "Hunter" and the French "Mystère". The largest single order placed by the United States is for Hawker "Hunter" interceptor planes costing $140 millions, to be built in the United Kingdom. A contract signed with France valued at $86,540,000 is for the Dassault "Mystère" Mark IV, a jet interceptor fighter.

Last edited:
That’s absolutely amazing, I had no idea.
The largest single order placed by the United States is for Hawker "Hunter" interceptor planes costing $140 millions, to be built in the United Kingdom.

The Hawker "Hunter" will also be produced on the Continent for the first time, under US offshore contracts with Belgium and the Netherlands totalling $42 millions.

In addition to these agreements, the United States Navy has signed a contract with the United Kingdom Government to buy a quantity of the Hawker "Sea Hawk" aircraft costing $13 millions under the off-shore procurement programme.
So that’s 195 million bucks worth of Hawker aircraft paid for by the US taxpayer for use by RAF, RN, and the Belgians/Dutch. I wonder if the additional $117M of Hawks for those countries were decided before or after the US aid buy?

America, always evil, you see...

Actually, seems that MDAP funds were used quite ingeniously in some cases. In early 1950's the issue was how to create combat capability as fast as possible rather than just handling pork, like during later years.

France was the main operator of the Mystère IV and at the peak usage operated 6 squadrons. Most of the aircraft were purchased under a United States Offshore Procurement contract and many were returned to US custody after they were retired.[2] In April 1953 the United States government and the United States Air Force placed an order for 223 aircraft to be operated by the French.[2]

This plan provided for the production of military aircraft in Belgium, France, Italy, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Prolonged bilateral negotiations followed, in which numerous financial, technical and productions problems arose. All these have happily been overcome and the United States Government have now signed offshore procurement contracts for military aircraft to the value of $281,540,000 with Belgium, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. An additional contract with Italy is now in the final stage of negotiation.

These United States offshore procurement contracts make provision for the delivery of substantial numbers of the British Hawker "Hunter" and the French "Mystère". The largest single order placed by the United States is for Hawker "Hunter" interceptor planes costing $140 millions, to be built in the United Kingdom. A contract signed with France valued at $86,540,000 is for the Dassault "Mystère" Mark IV, a jet interceptor fighter.

I like that Jukra, I completely forgot about this aircraft.

I might make a post regarding this in the 'Fictionional Inventory of Modern AirForces' . . . a possible Dassault's a Go Go Part II

Last edited: