PC: War of 1812 - "US annexes Canada? Let's get back to that later."

Do you think a sort-of co-administration of Canada by the US and UK is plausible?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • I'll explain my opinion in a post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
hey, all. this idea just occurred to me for justifying how and why the area of Canada could be divided between America and Britain in the way i want it to for narrative reasons. what came to me here is the idea that, since most of Canada was unsettled at the time, (at least as far as the Americans and British would care--this is the early- to mid-19th century we're talking about, here) maybe an alternate War of 1812 which leads to the US annexing roughly the western half of Canada would be handled more to the effect that part of the agreement at the end of the war was that the "empty" parts of Canada be put under a joint administration by the US and UK and they divide the territory on a smaller scale over the following decades. since i only just came up with this in about the past 30 minutes or so, i have no idea how plausible it is so i wanted to run it by everyone and see what they think. any input?

i decided to add a poll this time in case anyone has some thoughts on it but doesn't really have anything else to say.

One idea that I have had for awhile is that the British supply the Confederacy with more ships which leads to greater Union shipping losses during the American Civil war. When the Hudson Bay Company land comes up for sell, the British agrees to that the HBC can sell their lands west of the Winnipeg river to the USA in exchange for the USA waiving the damage claims for sunken Union ships, agreeing that all current British citizens in that area would be not be discriminated against, and that all British economic activity would not be discriminated against.

Based on what you were proposing, maybe to insure that British citizens and business are not discriminated against, the area would be administered jointly by the USA and Great Britain for a time period of 50 years. At the end of 50 years, it would be under total American control.

What do you think?

Last edited:
One idea that I have had for awhile is that the British supply the Confederacy with more ships which leads to greater Union shipping losses during the American Civil war. When the Hudson Bay Company land comes up for sell, the British agrees to that the HBC can sell their lands west of the Winnipeg river to the USA in exchange for the USA waiving the damage claims for sunken Union ships, agreeing that all current British citizens in that area would be not be discriminated against, and that all British economic activity would not be discriminated against.

Based on what you were proposing, maybe to insure that British citizens and business are not discriminated against, the area would be jointing administered jointly by the USA and Great Britain for a time period of 50 years. At the end of 50 years, it would be under total American control.

What do you think?
it's certainly an interesting possibility--in the context of my own ATL project, i could see something similar to that working out as being that an American annexation dating back to the alternate War of 1812 is basically unrecognized and it's a point of contention between the US and UK, then after the Civil War the point is conceded by Britain as a condition for status quo antebellum between Britain and the Union. i admit that my thought process originally had been that it was more that this hypothetical joint-administration was that they just didn't want to bother with it at the time, maybe each became preoccupied with more important issues, and then just start negotiating over time with parts of Canada being fully-recognized as being British colonial provinces and parts being recognized as US territories, but your idea is much more interesting :)
Oh give me a f.... break this is the 10th thread on the same subject. What is the obsession about Canada.
it was the other recent threads that gave me the idea :p i really and truly have nothing against Canada, if anything this is more a relic of much earlier drafts that of the ATL and i want to keep it but be plausible about it as well and avoid being overly-convergent like alot of the ATL specs were up to this point. if it means anything, the end-goal on my part is for the much more populous eastern parts to stay British/Canadian. a more distant idea with this, in that it takes place kinda far in the future after the intended "conclusion" to the ATL from a narrative point, is for the US to fracture to an extent and, ironically, the rump US is based out of the area of Canada and is mostly populated by Native Americans and their descendants as a result of some other divergences. trust me, i'm not trying to just arbitrarily forget about Canada compared to other countries or throw it under the bus for the sake of it.

Last edited: