PC: Columbus discovers "Paradise"?

this thought occurred to me a while back. i forget the source, but i seem to remember reading that, when Columbus first reached the Americas, he thought that it was both Asia and that the Earthly Paradise was somewhere nearby, and believed that to the day he died, and at least one map of the time gives this as a name of North America, as "Parias". ignoring the controversies about Columbus himself, what does everyone think about the plausibility and possible consequences of the name sticking to the effect that, for example, the Caribbean is known as the "Paradise Sea"?

Columbus thought he had found a new land somewhere east of the coast of Japan; given the existing knowledge of Asia (which reported no Paradise found from Zipangu to Europe) and the folklore stating the Garden of Eden was somewhere "to the East", it wasn't exactly strange for him to think he may just have found it.

If the (spurious) news of the discovery of Paradise were to make the rounds, we could see much more interest into colonising the new world from the European powers, since the lack of a guarding Archangel could be interpreted as a rescission of the explulsion.

Kaze

Banned
In a sense in IRL he did discover a "paradise". Unfortunately he discovered gold. Once gold enters into paradise, it sours the place like a poisoned apple it ends it being a paradise.

Deleted member 114175

Well, the urban legend about the names of Greenland and Iceland ("Vikings called Greenland green and Iceland icy so that people would move to Greenland instead") didn't really affect how those islands were settled -- economics affected how those islands were settled, with Iceland always having a higher population than Greenland.

So if the Americas or New World were called "Paradise", it probably wouldn't have that large of an effect on the rate of immigration and colonization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the urban legend about the names of Greenland and Iceland ("Vikings called Greenland green and Iceland icy so that people would move to Greenland instead") didn't really affect how those islands were settled -- economics affected how those islands were settled, with Iceland always having a higher population than Greenland.

So if the Americas or New World were called "Paradise", it probably wouldn't have that large of an effect on the rate of immigration and colonization.
as implied in the OP, my question here is more about the plausibility of the name, kinda like a different thread i made not long ago on "Asia" being a regional name while the continent is called "Tartary" instead