PC: Charles the Bold's niece as Duchess of Burgundy in 1477

Hello everyone!

I'm here with a plausibility check on the following scenario: A hypothetical niece of Charles the Bold (whom I've taken the liberty to named Emma, after an old Queen of the Franks) becomes Duchess of Burgundy.

So, Philip III of Burgundy and Isabella of Portugal have more kids after Charles the Bold. And Mary of Burgundy marries Richard, the son of Francis II of Brittany and Elizabeth of York (the elder one, born in 1444), thus being displaced as heiress since I doubt the States General of Burgundy would accept a personal union with Brittany. Henry VI of England marries a slightly older Anne of York, and his OTL wife Margaret of Anjou marries Louis XI of France. Richard of Montfort's sister Anne marries Edward of Eltham, Henry VI's son.

Philip's second son is named Jean, who marries Margaret's younger sister Anna (b. 1434, IOTL she died young but her death could be butterflied) and she gives birth to a daughter, who is betrothed to the future Maximilian of Austria. They're born months apart, so Duke Philip sees an advantage on the betrothal.

The goal is for Emma to become Duchess of Burgundy (and future Holy Roman Empress) after both Charles and Jean die during the Burgundian Wars. She has an aunt, Isabella, who marries John II of Aragon's eldest son Charles of Viana.

Does this work or am I high?

Last edited:
Britanny would have none of that, it will remain it's independece away from the Habsburgs.
I think it's the other way around, or let me rephrase it, both Burgundy and Brittany would prefer better allies. It could still happen, but only when they share the last surviving heir.

Mary isn't gonna be displaced as heiress just because she's marrying the Duke of Brittany. And she's the heir to her father before Emma and her uncle. It would probably be better to marry Emma to Brittany instead. The Estates can't just handwave away Mary's rights as first legal heir to the Burgundian realms like that. Plus Mary can and probably will press her claim against Emma and that will lead to infighting.

Last edited:
Mary isn't gonna be displaced as heiress just because she's marrying the Duke of Brittany. And she's the heir to her father before Emma and her uncle. It would probably be better to marry Emma to Brittany instead. The Estates can't just handwave away Mary's rights as first legal heir to the Burgundian realms like that. Plus Mary can and probably will press her claim against Emma and that will lead to infighting.

And even if Mary married in Britanny - what's the problem? Britanny from Burgundian POV is infinitely better ally against France than Austria.

A rich dowry and the position of heiress after Mary if she has no children.
She'd be happy with that.

And Friedrich III would immediately grab the dowry and marry her to his son, hehe. She and Maxi are very close in age (only months apart) so she'd still marry here, heiress or not.

She'd be happy with that.

And Friedrich III would immediately grab the dowry and marry her to his son, hehe. She and Maxi are very close in age (only months apart) so she'd still marry here, heiress or not.
A better offer for Mary then Brittany would be Nicholas of Anjou surviving. The Estates would prefer that to Brittany as its the neighbouring realm.