Why the Chinese play cricket (The Pax Imperialis)

There are Tribals, 36 of them to be exact. But with the doctrinal switch to carriers as the core of the fleet, everything ordered from 38 on uses the 4.5" DP as its main battery. Not exactly Battles, but definitely getting there.

1941b Transpacific Pacific Theatre
~April to June 1941 (Transpacific War, Pacific Theatre): Win some, lose some

April 1941: CW forces occupy the New Hebrides and begin preparations for their defence. This action leads to France breaking off diplomatic relations with the CW.

April 1941: US troops under General Alexander Vandegrift capture Labasa on Vanua Levu in Fiji. Engineers immediately begin work to return both the harbour and airfield back into operation.

April 1941: With the CW now occupying the New Hebrides, the Pacific Alliance release three US divisions from the Far East reserve and bring forward their plans to take the islands. A further division is released to reinforce the Central Pacific and four more to relieve the Japanese in the Solomons, allowing those troops to be deployed to Papua for a planned amphibious assault on Milne Bay to outflank the CW line in the Owen Stanley Range.

April 1941: The Pacific Alliance occupies the Gilbert and Ellice Islands without resistance.

April 1941: Additional CW troops from Australia begin reinforcing their positions in Papua. With their arrival, the Japanese drive across the Owen Stanley Range again stalls.

April 1941: US troops begin replacing Japanese forces on Guadalcanal allowing those units to be refitted for the assault on Milne Bay.

April 1941: US engineers restore the air field at Labasa to operations. USMC aircraft are immediately deployed to provide air cover for Vandegrift's troops. These aircraft include F5F Bobcat fighters, who quickly demonstrate their superiority over existing CW single engine fighters, including the existing Spitfire Mk II.

April 1941: Vandegrift's corps in Fiji take Savusavu, securing Vanua Levu and forcing the CW to withdraw to Viti Levu.

May 1941: The Pacific Alliance commences Operation Kingfisher to land in the New Hebrides. CW reconnaissance aircraft detect the invasion force and Admiral Victor Crutchley's Pacific Fleet is ordered to intercept the invasion. The invasion force is covered by both Admiral Frank Fletcher's US Asiatic Fleet as and Admiral Gunichi Mikawa's Japanese Southern Fleet under the overall command of Admiral Thomas Hart. In the following Battle of the Coral Sea, Crutchley's Fleet is able to catch Mikawa's carriers in the first strike sinking the Hiryu and crippling the Soryu. However Fletcher's F5F Bobcats prove superior to Crutchley's Guillemot Mk IIs, allowing his aircraft to claim the Merlin class carrier Osprey and the light carrier St Mary. With only the St Joseph remaining, Crutchley withdraws, giving the Pacific Alliance control of the Coral Sea. Nonetheless, despite fierce opposition from Fletcher, Hart postpones the invasion due to losses in the Wasp and Hornet's air groups.

May 1941: The US 84th Infantry Division lands on Viti Levu.

May 1941: The Colossus class light carrier Glory is redeployed from the Indian Ocean to reinforce Crace's New Zealand Squadron to allow another attempt to relieve Fiji. While Crace fails to achieve operational surprise, allowing Blandy's carriers to achieve the first strike, inflicting damage on the Glory, though failing to hit the New Zealand. However in the massed CW return strike, the Abraham Lincoln is crippled by aircraft from the Glory and Ryujo sunk by Albacore torpedo bombers from the New Zealand. Crace's second strike against Blandy's battleships cripples the Pennsylvania class Indiana and sinks the West Virginia of the same class. Now deprived of air cover and with only two operational battleships, Blandy withdraws to Samoa, leaving the CW in control of the seas around Fiji and Vandegrift's troops isolated, supplied solely by air.

May 1941: With Crutchley's defeat in the Coral Sea and unable to reinforce the Pacific Fleet, the CW order the evacuation of the New Hebrides and Solomon Islands. The troops withdrawn are to be redeployed to hold Papua and Fiji.

June 1941: Admiral Crace takes over command of the CW Pacific Fleet, now reinforced by the Colossus class light carrier Mars from the Indian ocean and Ark Royal from Singapore.

June 1941: CW reserves from India and South Africa begin to arrive in Australia to reinforce the Pacific Theatre.

June 1941: With Vandegrift's supply situation in Fiji becoming desperate and CW reinforcements now arriving, the US begins running heavily defended convoys to Labasa to relieve his situation.

June 1941: Japanese forces land at Port Milne. However, the CW defenders have been significantly reinforced and after three days heavy fighting the 2nd Japanese SNLF Division is evacuted having suffered over 50% casualties.

June 1941: The Pacific Alliance occupy the now abandoned Solomon Islands and New Hebrides.

June 1941: France agrees to lease the Pacific Alliance bases on New Caledonia.

Last edited:
I'm hopefully on to the East Indies but I took a quick break to rewrite the post Great War treaties. Nothing is changing, I'm just making the entries a lot more readable eg

February 1919: The Treaty of Sevres between the Entente, Ottomans and the Empire is signed. complete Russian control of the Turkish Straits is avoided by playing on Balkans League fears, and in the Middle East the Empire's strong position means they are largely able to have a policy of self-determination implemented. This action will greatly increase Imperial influence in the Arab world, with the new Arab states quickly falling into the Imperial sphere of influence.
* The Straits are internationalised under the control of a joint Bulgarian, French, Greek and Russian commission.
* Ottoman Europe is divided between the Balkans League. Vardar Macedonia is divided between Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia, while Thrace is split between Bulgaria and Greece.
* Albania is split between Greece, Italy, Montenegro and Serbia, with the bulk going to Italy.
* Syria becomes a French colony while the Sinai and Gaza are ceded to Egypt. The French annexation of Syria will engender a great deal of hostility throughout the Arab world.
* Iraq, Lebanon, Hajaz, Palestine and Jordan are all created as independent states.
* The rump Turkish state in Anatolia is theoretically independent but effectively becomes a joint French and Russian protectorate with Russian satellite states in Armenia and Kurdistan.
* The Ottoman army is limited to 50,000 men.
* Due to Imperial influence, only moderate reparations are imposed.

Last edited:
No and there is a not a great deal they can do about it
If France still exists after the European War, which like most of European countries I doubt it will, they either have to sell/give it to a victorious PA or will have to explain themselves to the 2T gorilla of a victorious CW who have troops on the ground after pushing the PA out.

The most likely outcome the victorious CW is going to be interesting as the French still have massive debts to the CW from the Great Wars never mind the European War.

Pangur

Donor
If France still exists after the European War, which like most of European countries I doubt it will, they either have to sell/give it to a victorious PA or will have to explain themselves to the 2T gorilla of a victorious CW who have troops on the ground after pushing the PA out.

The most likely outcome the victorious CW is going to be interesting as the French still have massive debts to the CW from the Great Wars never mind the European War.
Yeah they are in hard place

June 1941: Japanese forces land at Port Milne. However, the CW defenders have been significantly reinforced and after three days heavy fighting the 2nd Japanese SNLF Division is evacuted having suffered over 50% casualties.
Has the USMC much influenced the development of the SNLF? IOTL they were never, as far as I know (which is no great distance) organised in divisions, and didn't do much in the way of assaults against defended coastlines.

The assault on Milne Bay seems to have been as ill-designed as IOTL's:

The Japanese landed at Milne Bay on the night of 25 August and ran into trouble in the form of torrential rains, swamps, mud, and flooded streams. They also encountered many more Allied troops than anticipated. The Japanese navy had estimated Australian forces at Milne Bay at about a battalion, but the Australians had recently reinforced their garrison and had six battalions present from the 7th and 18th Australian Infantry Brigades under Major General Cyril A. Clowes. In and around the airfields were 9,458 Australians and Americans. The Australians also had 34 P-40 fighter aircraft.

The Japanese landed 5 miles from the beaches where they had planned to land and 8 miles from their objective. They had no useful maps, nor did they have mechanized equipment to haul supplies inland. The Australian P-40s bombed and strafed beached supplies, oil drums, and barges and thereby destroyed most of the Japanese food stocks. Bombs from a B-17 bomber also damaged a Japanese transport unloading supplies.

Source: https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/12/31/rikusentai-special-naval-landing-forces/

Yeah they are in hard place
I wonder if France completely collapse fiancial would CW own them and if so would the King/Queen become the Monarch of France.

Another thing did the Royal Family not give up their German titles in this timeline due to entering the Great War later and mainly to stop the entente getting to powerful in the Middle East.

If so that could make a very interesting situation either during or post the European War as if due the war itself and French assassinations to weaken Germany’s war efforts by killing of the German line of succession making the British Ruler the heir.

I wonder if France completely collapse fiancial would CW own them and if so would the King/Queen become the Monarch of France.

Headdesk that is not how economies work that is not how debt works and the French economic systems leans on wall street, not London

Another thing did the Royal Family not give up their German titles in this timeline due to entering the Great War later and mainly to stop the entente getting to powerful in the Middle East.

If so that could make a very interesting situation either during or post the European War as if due the war itself and French assassinations to weaken Germany’s war efforts by killing of the German line of succession making the British Ruler the heir.

Pissing of Europe is not a good idea in my eyes but if you want to piss off but sides of the European war be my guest

Headdesk that is not how economies work that is not how debt works and the French economic systems leans on wall street, not London

Pissing of Europe is not a good idea in my eyes but if you want to piss off but sides of the European war be my guest
I meant the French economy thing as a joke that could only happen in one of those timeline where they ignored every possible reason why something wouldn’t work, still put it in and don’t explain why it happened.

As for German line of succession I could see the British Monarch becoming heir by accident and I agree that both getting to that point and crowing the British Monarch the Kaiser would piss off a lot of Europe.

In this timeline the Imperial line of Germany are known for saving and stabiling Germany after the Great War and are heavily involved in the military it would not surprise me if the Entente starts to quietly targeting the line to distablise Germany and stop a potential post war repeat, a few accidents due to bombing here, a costly military action their and the German line of succession would suffer.

I could see this happening 4 different ways 2 during war and 2 post war.

Option 1 the Entente are so successful that the British are next in line simply because they are the only ones still alive.

Option 2 the current German Emperor realises what is happening and name George VI their heir in order to stop the Entente assassinations because they would bring the CW into the war.

Option 3 is the post war equivalent of option 1 were the Entente or more likely rogue/former Entente forces continue the assassination campaign resulting in the British King/Queen becoming heir.

Option 4 is the post war equivalent of option 2 with same forces as option 3.

All in all a lot events have to go a specific way at the right time and place, it’s unlikely but a possibility which makes it interesting and I am sure a ASB could make it happen.

Last edited:
Lease of New Caledonia is not going to end well for the French

At this point, with the exception of the loss of Panama, the war is definitely going the PAs way. To the outside world, they're the horse to back. The French are dependent on the US financially despite their huge debts to the CW (though these are about a third repaid now). At this point in the game this seems a safe bet.

Has the USMC much influenced the development of the SNLF? IOTL they were never, as far as I know (which is no great distance) organised in divisions, and didn't do much in the way of assaults against defended coastlines.

The assault on Milne Bay seems to have been as ill-designed as IOTL's:

Source: https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/12/31/rikusentai-special-naval-landing-forces/

Yep in the OTL the SNLF didn't get above Regiment/Brigade strength. ITTL they're at divisional strength and the US and Japanese have both strongly influenced the other when it comes to amphibious doctrine. They both still have a lot to learn and Milne Bay is sort of the PAs Dieppe

Netherlands navy as at 1940
Another thing I'm doing in my breaks is working out the other naval powers. This one is because the Netherlands are relevant to the TP war

RNLN as at 1930

4 x Rotterdam BB

Laid down 1931
2 x Timor CVL, complete 1934

Laid down 1939
2 x Koningin Wilhelmina BB, complete 1943

Laid down 1941
2 x Koningin Wilhelmina BB, complete 1945

Last edited:
French navy as at 1941
And the French

Marine Nationale as at 1921

6 x Danton BO
4 x Courbet BB
3 x Bretange class BB

Laid down 1922
5 x Normandie BB, complete 1927
1 x Gauchet CV, complete 1925

Laid down 1928
2 x Reims BB, complete 1933
5 x Danton BO disposed
1 x Danton BO training

Laid down 1931
2 x Dunkerque BB, complete 1935

Laid down 1935
2 x Richelieu BB, complete 1939
4 x Courbert BB disposed

Laid down 1939
2 x Richelieu BB, complete 1943
2 x Joffre CV, complete 1942
1 x Danton BO disposed
3 x Bretagne BB disposed
1 x Normandie BB training

Laid down 1941
2 x Richelieu BB, complete 1945
2 x Joffre CV, complete 1944

Last edited:
I meant the French economy thing as a joke that could only happen in one of those timeline where they ignored every possible reason why something wouldn’t work, still put it in and don’t explain why it happened.

As for German line of succession I could see the British Monarch becoming heir by accident and I agree that both getting to that point and crowing the British Monarch the Kaiser would piss off a lot of Europe.

In this timeline the Imperial line of Germany are known for saving and stabiling Germany after the Great War and are heavily involved in the military it would not surprise me if the Entente starts to quietly targeting the line to distablise Germany and stop a potential post war repeat, a few accidents due to bombing here, a costly military action their and the German line of succession would suffer.

I could see this happening 4 different ways 2 during war and 2 post war.

Option 1 the Entente are so successful that the British are next in line simply because they are the only ones still alive.

Option 2 the current German Emperor realises what is happening and name George VI their heir in order to stop the Entente assassinations because they would bring the CW into the war.

Option 3 is the post war equivalent of option 1 were the Entente or more likely rogue/former Entente forces continue the assassination campaign resulting in the British King/Queen becoming heir.

Option 4 is the post war equivalent of option 2 with same forces as option 3.

All in all a lot events have to go a specific way at the right time and place, it’s unlikely but a possibility which makes it interesting and I am sure a ASB could make it happen.

It's wasn't the Prussian Hohenzollerns who saved Germany, it was the Bavarian Wittelsbachs. If Germany gets a new Kaiser they'll come from that line, almost certainly Ruprecht :cool:

Last edited: