Do you approve or disapprove of the way that Douglas MacArthur is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 199 72.6%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 75 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I presume I still have some of my family's prejudice against US bombers' accuracy, a prejudice borne from "a few" "little" targeting "errors" during WW2 ;)
Hey, we were exceptionally accurate!

Every bomb hit the ground*!

All joking aside, yeah, I don't think people quite get the level of.... devastation unleashed.

We just dumped B-52s, the Iowa's main battery, and god knows how many other lesser ships and planes into a urban environment. That is up to 70,000lb worth of bombs just in one B-52. And we unleashed flights of them. And all joking aside, they aren't exactly accurate, we have weather, ground fire, all sorts of issues leading them to drop either too early or too late, which is just gonna add to the destruction.

*Excluding the occasional one stuck inside, leading to a few brown trouser moments.

Did Egypt even have a MiG-17 in 1956? I thought those came a bit later...
Yes, it did

From Wikipedia of the MiG-17
"The Egyptian Air Force received its first MiG-17s in 1956, deploying them against the Israeli invasion of the Sinai during the early stages of the Suez Crisis. When Britain and France launched air attacks against Egyptian air bases on 1 November 1956, Egyptian president Gamal Abdel Nasser ordered the Egyptian Air Force not to oppose the Anglo-French air strikes, and where possible to evacuate its aircraft to Syria or Saudi Arabia, so while Egypt lost large numbers of aircraft, including MiG-17s, losses of pilots were relatively low."

But could also accept a MiG-15

Such a British move. "Confirm they are hostile first! Gotta be prim and proper!" I have to agree with Mac here, that is now way to even try and win a war. This might have been a decent policy in say a local uprising but not on a actual war. If you are at the point where the enemy is just giving away weapons to anyone and telling them to fight to the death you can't do things like this.

Speaking of which a major factor in Nasser managing to keep the canal open right after nationalization in OTL was the Greek pilots staying in place which in turn was directly connected to trouble in Cyprus. TTL Cyprus has been united with Greece without issues, so the Greek pilots are gone and canal operation came to a crashing halt when they've left along with the Brits and French. Likely will have side effects with Greek-Egyptian and Greek-Israeli relations later on...
Wish you'd mentioned that when we were talking about Cyprus a few pages back so I could have worked it into the chapters! Now might be a bit late to add it in :(

While it would make a great John Wayne movie, I can’t help but be disappointed by the direction of this chapter (though probably a realistic outcome given the people involve). If the Suez Canal existed in another Arab country and Nasser invaded to seize control, or if it even bordered Egypt and another country, and Nasser seized it as Egypts own, then I could see a declaration of war resulting. Poland was not that long ago, and obviously Korea, so Egypt would reap the whirlwind.
However the canal is located IN Egypt. It’s Egyptian territory. Sure there are documents/agreements that declare “ownership“ by countries thousands of miles away, but in the eyes of Nasser, and the Egyptians, it’s Egyptian.
Imagine the Thames or the Mississippi under the control of a foreign nation. Wouldn’t the local populations say F the treaties, it’s ours!!
Carpet bombing and invading a country to retain control of that country’s own territory, sounds like the type of thinking that the world just fought a world war to eradicate. As I said, I’m not surprise, but disappointed. Just my $.02

ric350
Have I ever said that Mac was the 'good guy' in the story? Because I'm fairly sure I haven't ;)

Excellent chapter. I can’t help but wish President MacArthur ran for a second term all things considered, but this is still a very appropriate ending all things considered.
I do not have another full term's worth of chapters in me :mad:x'D. Very glad you're enjoying the story! :)

Good Cop, Bad Cop.
You don't want to chance dealing with Bad Cop, He's nuts. You want to deal with me, Good Cop
De Gaulle, off to the sidelines: "Those two are lying, I'm the Good Cop around here!"

Could this save the monarchy in Libya? I know thats a decade later but idiris is an angel comparedbto mommar.
Let the butterflies rise up and spread their wings!

"It's not a war crime, when a democracy does it"
That.... pretty much was Mac's justification in the chapter's opening speech.

MacArthur has his war I will be interested in seeing how you keep this from becoming World War III; which I believe is what MacArthur wanted.
The Soviets are busy being just as stupid in Iran (Radmanesh might have asked nicely, but the rest of the Arabs all know he's just a communist stooge). Besides, if I was going to do a WW3 arc, I would have started it before the penultimate chapter!

Given Dugout Doug just blew up a pretty good chunk of Alexandria, and then coordinated an attack with the former colonizer (UK and France), much less their involvement with Israel....

I think the Middle East is gonna start giving some serious pivoting towards Russia. Or setting up their own polity, or at least a sorta NATO organization....
Not France, I retconned that out. De Gaulle had the good sense to stay out :)
See above about the Russians.

- BNC

Splitting these in two posts so it's not too long :)

So Knowland will win the 1956 election?
Knowland's the GOP nominee, and Mac's popular... he's the obvious frontrunner. Technically the TL ends before the election is held :)

Bombing in Alexandria can also lead to many very damaging issues for archeology, including not being able to dig the Pharos and the underwater remains due to too many unexploded ordinances in the harbor, underground necropolis collapsing due to the shock waves, issues with the watertable making remains impossible to dig, Cleopatra's needle collapsing, ...
Another likely effect would be the coptic and islamic cultural heritage in Cairo being destroyed...
No doubt some valuable (not to mention cool) stuff is lost. Unfortunately preserving them wouldn't exactly be high on Mac's priority list.

Hey, we were exceptionally accurate!

Every bomb hit the ground*!

All joking aside, yeah, I don't think people quite get the level of.... devastation unleashed.

We just dumped B-52s, the Iowa's main battery, and god knows how many other lesser ships and planes into a urban environment. That is up to 70,000lb worth of bombs just in one B-52. And we unleashed flights of them. And all joking aside, they aren't exactly accurate, we have weather, ground fire, all sorts of issues leading them to drop either too early or too late, which is just gonna add to the destruction.

*Excluding the occasional one stuck inside, leading to a few brown trouser moments.
Yeah, the only good thing about what happened at Alexandria is that the city was captured quickly. Can't say the same for Cairo :eek:

Such a British move. "Confirm they are hostile first! Gotta be prim and proper!" I have to agree with Mac here, that is now way to even try and win a war. This might have been a decent policy in say a local uprising but not on a actual war. If you are at the point where the enemy is just giving away weapons to anyone and telling them to fight to the death you can't do things like this.
It was Eden's OTL policy more or less :oops:... soon as I heard about it I knew it was worthy of a Mac rant.

- BNC

De Gaulle, off to the sidelines: "Those two are lying, I'm the Good Cop around here!"
Exactly. If the three other great powers are discredited in the Middle East, that leaves a huge vacuum for France to fill in. I would have said China in a lesser extent, but I'm not sure it can do any more than a spoken support, with France being the only of the two to have some real means to project power and do actually something in the region.

With their influence in Lebanon, they have a good beachhead in the Levant, which make a frightened Syria a good prospect for them. And it could be interesting to see French companies taking advantage of this situation to get their hands on major oil concessions in the region instead of the British and Americans. Notably, I don't see the Iraqi monarchy surviving long to the outcry of nationalist sentiment following the Egyptian war; its fall may be hastened ITTL, and with the Soviets stuck in Iran, the French stand to fill the role of Iraq's best friend.

The Soviets are busy being just as stupid in Iran (Radmanesh might have asked nicely, but the rest of the Arabs all know he's just a communist stooge). Besides, if I was going to do a WW3 arc, I would have started it before the penultimate chapter!
You story and an excellent one. WE simply have vastly different opinions about Douglas MacArthur.

This was simply how wars were fought up until this point and with changes to Korea and avoidance of Vietnam it will be seen as the way wars are fought for foreseeable future. The outrage won’t be there, the populace of the world came out of a war which involved total destruction of cities and extermination of populations 12 years ago, Alexandria is nothing special. The Arab world will also see the West dependent of actions post war not the fact there is one. After all Naser gambled his nation into a war with world powers over 10 years of contract.

So are the French staying quiet about this or do they intend to put the British and especially Americans on blast in the press? Perhaps some reporters wanting to make names for themselves write up some articles akin to, “Only a few short years after the largest war in history, the US was involved in another conflict in Korea. Now only a few years after that they get embroiled in a new conflict in Egypt. As Alexandria burns we must ask, ‘when does it end?’ Has there not been enough death, destruction, and loss of priceless historical places and artifacts? It seems we now know why the Americans have abandoned Europe, for as soon as we rebuild our cities they seeks to bring others to ruin.”

CHAPTER 35

Chief of Staff of the Army General Matthew Ridgway was ordered to use the increased funding to finish bringing existing divisions back up to full strength: MacArthur would not suffer divisions that had four battalions instead of the proper nine. Once production of the ‘President’ series of tanks: the M47 Taylor and M48 Jackson, had time to be ramped up and distributed, remaining Shermans and Pershings could be sold to allies such as France, Israel and Korea.
OTL the Americans did not supply weapons to Israel until after 1967 when the French cut weapons sales to Isreal.
After the Israeli Declaration of Independence in 1948 and in the early 1950s, France and Israel maintained close political and military ties. France was Israel's main weapons supplier until its withdrawal from Algeria in 1962. Three days before the outbreak of the Six-Day War in 1967, Charles de Gaulle's government imposed an arms embargo on the region, mostly affecting Israel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France–Israel_relations

Last edited:
So are the French staying quiet about this or do they intend to put the British and especially Americans on blast in the press? Perhaps some reporters wanting to make names for themselves write up some articles akin to, “Only a few short years after the largest war in history, the US was involved in another conflict in Korea. Now only a few years after that they get embroiled in a new conflict in Egypt. As Alexandria burns we must ask, ‘when does it end?’ Has there not been enough death, destruction, and loss of priceless historical places and artifacts? It seems we now know why the Americans have abandoned Europe, for as soon as we rebuild our cities they seeks to bring others to ruin.”
Was De Gaulle ever capable of keeping quiet?

We'll be hearing a lot from him next chapter.

OTL the Americans did not supply weapons to Israel until after 1967 when the French cut weapons sales to Isreal.
Was an oversight, thanks :)

That said, I think given the events of the last two chapters it makes more sense if Suez is the event that triggers Israel's switch from France to the US, in which case the statement I made in that earlier chapter still holds :)

- BNC

CHAPTER 37

August 16, 1953

West Berlin. It was a city deep behind the Iron Curtain, but spiritually far from the communist world. It was where East and West met, and where the leaders of both groups would meet for the first time since Potsdam. It had once been the heart of Germany, and if negotiations went well here it would be the heart of a new Germany once more.
MacArthur was glad that the people in charge of Presidential transport had finally disposed of the Independence. When Harry Truman had been in charge, this city had been a site of the greatest tensions to occur between the destruction of Nagasaki and the war in Korea. MacArthur had no intention of repeating his predecessor’s actions, his predecessor’s mistakes. He was here on a mission of peace, and he hoped the new Bataan III could represent that in a way that Independence never would.

In addition to himself, Malenkov, and the many translators and journalists, the great, circular, conference table would seat several other important officials from the four great powers: Churchill was once again a welcome sight, as was his deputy and foreign minister Anthony Eden. Prime Minister Pierre Mendès France replaced the ousted Mayer to lead the French delegation, and had promised to keep to the agreements made with his predecessor. On the Soviet side, Foreign Minister Molotov, and Party Chairman Kaganovich would not just support their boss in the negotiations, but MacArthur soon noticed they would do most of the talking for him as well. Malenkov would prove to be a man of few words, but also one who needed few. Clever and fearsome, Churchill would later remark “it wasn’t hard to see how he replaced Stalin.”
MacArthur’s view of his Soviet counterpart was more charitable, thinking the new leader much more agreeable than the old after a conversation on the first day in which he related a story from 1945:
“I hope that the new generation never has to see the disasters of war that we have been unfortunate enough to witness. My home in Manila was destroyed before my eyes, the acrid smoke left behind a reminder of the great tragedy around us, of a city not yet entirely free. We cannot have this happen again, no more German homes, no more American homes, no more Russian homes, turned to ashes because of the failure of diplomacy.
“Sixty years ago, our troops did not stand opposite each other across a battle-scarred nation, instead our nations considered each other amongst our closest friends.”
Then Malenkov, who had so far given no indication as to how much English he understood, replied, “Sixty years from now, I hope both our peoples will continue to say that.”

Malenkov’s primary goal at West Berlin was to keep the Allies at the table, and sincerely hoped for an agreement that would create a neutral, unified Germany. Although he hid it well, he knew that the Soviet Union was outmatched by the West in just about every military and economic factor of importance, and therefore decided that detente would be the best way to advance Soviet interests in the world. There weren’t many ways more likely to achieve detente than a neutral belt of nations crossing the entirety of Central Europe. Malenkov also knew that East Germany was as much an economic burden on the Soviet Union as it was a military advantage, and if that was the only price for convincing the West to abandon the far more valuable West Germany, the Soviet Union would be getting a bargain. In these circumstances, even a ‘bad’ deal would be better than no deal at all.
MacArthur would plainly need little convincing: whether he was driven by an almost obsessive antipathy towards the division of nations, his own stubbornness, or something else entirely, he was determined to find a way to unite Germany. He had used this conviction to pressure the British and especially French into following his lead (after all, would France really choose West Germany over the United States?), but Malenkov knew that would only get so far. They, unlike MacArthur, expressed serious concerns about the possibility of a Fourth Reich rising (a concern Malenkov himself shared) and would only accept a unified Germany if said state could not pose a threat to them in the future.

Malenkov therefore decided that the best proposal he could begin with would be one that was relatively generous towards the West. First, a peace treaty would need to be negotiated and signed by the four powers and the present German governments. Then, a free election would be held, using the same system as used in West Germany in 1949 and supervised by the four powers, to determine the makeup of the united German government. Germany would have freedoms of the press, assembly and speech guaranteed in its new constitution, would be free to trade with whatever powers it chose, and would be permitted to maintain a military open to all citizens except senior ex-Nazis. A similar system would be used for Austria as well, and the two nations would be prohibited from uniting with each other, or from making military agreements with any other nation without the consent of the four powers.
Churchill raised the first objection, saying that the free elections would have to come before any peace agreement, a point which both Mendès France and MacArthur agreed with and Malenkov was willing to concede. The second objection came from Mendès France, who sought more stringent arms limitations for the new German state and even suggested disarming the nation entirely.
MacArthur’s initial response to this was three words long: “It won’t work.” Mendès France demanded to know why not, saying that a disarmed nation could not go on the warpath as Hitler or the Kaiser had done. MacArthur did not even wait for the Frenchman’s remarks to be translated before he began explaining his rationale: the Germans were a proud people who would want their country to seem influential in the world - this was no small part of why reunification had to happen in the first place - and dictating the number of men in their armed forces would just build resentment towards the four powers. In the long run, they would probably ignore such limitations anyway, just like they had after Versailles. He then proposed that the German peace treaty include a point similar to the Japanese Article 9, whereby the German people would renounce war as a means of settling disputes, permitting the military only as a self-preservation force. It could be theoretically unlimited in size, but prohibited from developing nuclear, biological or chemical weapons. This policy had been so far successful in Japan, and all four leaders hoped it would work in Germany as well. If it didn’t, Allied and Soviet nuclear weapons would still be available to prevent the next Hitler. To secure French approval, MacArthur offered American funding for the French nuclear program.

The last matter of discussion would be that of the new German borders. In the East, the Oder-Neisse line agreed at Potsdam had only been intended to be temporary when they were drawn up. MacArthur was quick to say that this was a matter for the Soviets to decide: it was their border after all. Malenkov meanwhile maintained that he could not accept anything east of Oder-Neisse, and had been under the impression that that would be the permanent border ever since Potsdam. In the west, too, the borders for the new Germany would be the same as they currently stood for the divided state, and Germany would be required to renounce any and all claims to territory outside of those borders as part of the peace treaty.
The question was asked more than once: what if the Germans didn’t accept the deal that was presented to them? Konrad Adenauer, Chancellor of West Germany, was a known skeptic of the Stalin Note and could be expected to rebuff reunification efforts. MacArthur brushed the concerns aside: “The new election will settle the matter. If he wins and does not resign, he will be acknowledging his role as the leader of a united Germany. If he does not win, or he resigns and someone takes his place, whoever does will be doing the same, and we can make our agreements with them.”
Then, after two weeks of intense negotiation, Malenkov announced “I think we have a deal.” MacArthur preferred the term ‘victory’.

He would return home to the very opposite.

MacArthur’s White House had always been very much MacArthur’s White House, with him personally dominating events in the building at every turn, but beyond the bounds of the White House walls his administration was one of two conflicting methods of governance.
The first was a “hands off” role for the executive that had not been seen since the days of McKinley and Cleveland. MacArthur believed that Congress had been designed, and its members elected, to make the laws of the land. That wasn’t the President’s job. Compared to his predecessors, he very rarely vetoed bills or even signed executive orders, and he was content to give Congress a much larger degree of independence than it had had since the first decade of the century. When he did not feel strongly about a particular issue, which applied to the vast majority of domestic policy, he would let Congress sort matters out for itself.
The second, opposite, method came into play when he did have a strong opinion about a matter. Particularly with regards to foreign policy, he would insist on micromanaging subordinates when he did not simply handle the issue entirely himself. Those subordinates, who often went ignored regardless, had been chosen for their loyalty to the President.
When the President was absent however, as was the case in late August 1953, the system quickly fell into chaos. Vice President Lodge had needed little time to fall out of MacArthur’s favour, so Ned Almond was put in charge, and Almond, unlike MacArthur, had the loyalty of no-one. Professional politicians hated him for preventing them from forcing their views on MacArthur the way they had on Truman, the cabinet hated him because he seemed inept at handling government affairs, Whitney hated him because he competed for MacArthur’s favour, and without MacArthur around as a unifying figure, communication between the various factions quickly broke down.

But no two men in the MacArthur administration despised each other more fervently than Ned Almond and Charles Willoughby. They had first met, not in one of MacArthur’s headquarters, but in Kansas in 1929, and their feud had begun there. Each thought the other was arrogant, incompetent, and many other negative things. Both sought to be MacArthur’s favourite, producing even more bad blood between them. Willoughby thought Almond, who had joined MacArthur’s staff in 1946, had no place being there as a latecomer, while Almond resented Willoughby’s persistent efforts to imitate his Prussian heritage. One of Almond’s staff officers, when discussing Willoughby’s failure to warn MacArthur about the incoming Chinese forces in Korea, had suggested that Willoughby belonged in jail, and his boss would not have disagreed.
It should have been little surprise then, that when the two men were expected to work together, the result was a disaster. Its name was Ajax.

MacArthur’s support for the plan to overthrow the Iranian government had been lukewarm at best, only agreeing to it at Glasgow so Churchill would not stand in his way at West Berlin. As he did with everything he didn’t want to be bothered with, he quickly shuffled the task onto his subordinate, and as Willoughby was the CIA Director, it was now his problem. Then when MacArthur left for Europe, Almond was told to watch over him. Almond made a half-hearted attempt to do so, which resulted in a spectacular quarrel, and then refused to have anything more to do with the intelligence chief.
Willoughby meanwhile proceeded to utterly mismanage the plan. He began by overruling CIA officials such as Kermit Roosevelt Jr, who had helped create the Ajax plan in the first place: MacArthur had entrusted him with this responsibility, so he would be the one who oversaw the plan’s execution. Then he let his paranoia get the better of him. While many in the American government saw Iran’s recent nationalistic moves, such as seizing the Abadan oilfields, as part of a communist plot sponsored by the Soviet Union, Willoughby also came to believe that this plan was somehow part of a British conspiracy as well, aimed at somehow subverting American influence in Iran and the Middle East in general. To avoid this, he decided the coup would be carried out with a minimum of British influence, and he ignored MI6 reports that had been sent to him and was reluctant to send his own.

The coup, as planned, would have seen the Iranian Shah dismiss Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh and appoint the pro-Western General Fazlollah Zahedi in his place, with CIA dollars being used to bribe key Iranian officials into going along with the plan. When Mossadegh, who by this time had ruled largely by decree for a year, dissolved parliament, the indecisive Shah decided to support the plan, and the order was given to plotters in Iran to begin.
Unfortunately for the CIA, word had gotten out in Iran, and Mossadegh knew what was coming. Colonel Nematollah Nassiri, the commander of the Imperial Guard, was sent to Mossadegh with a message informing him that the Shah had dismissed him in favour of Zahedi. Mossadegh instead had Nassiri arrested, an action that sparked crowds of thousands to take to the streets in protest. The Shah panicked, and fled the country for Rome, never to return.
CIA agents in Iran had to scramble to save the failing coup before the situation spiralled out of control. A plan was proposed to bribe some Iranian officials into launching a false-flag “communist revolution”, which would be blamed on Mossadegh and his ruling Tudeh Party, and give the Army an excuse to crack down on the Prime Minister and give Zahedi control of the government. The only issue was that Willoughby had failed to send anywhere near the amount of funds that such an effort would need. As the crowd in Tehran took control of the situation into their own hands, the CIA agents had no choice to flee.

Theirs had been only one of three plans to replace Mossadegh that week.

The second came from the common citizens, who had tired of Mossadegh’s dictatorial rule and inability to end the economic crisis that the British blockade had caused. As many had done in past societies, these citizens formed a mob, which fought through those Mossadegh supporters who took to the streets, and when they found the Prime Minister, they beat him to death with a variety of improvised weapons. General Zahedi, who had waited in an Army barracks until this point, then declared himself the new Prime Minister, citing the Shah’s order.
That set the stage for the third plan. Word of the CIA coup had not just spread to Mossadegh, but to members of his party as well, including a faction of hardline communists who now sought to take control for themselves. Knowing that Mossadegh was unpalatable to the public, and expecting Zahedi to attempt to seize control as soon as Mossadegh was toppled, they decided to declare the events as an “illegal military coup”. The proper successor to Mossadegh had to come from his party - the Tudeh - and the party had chosen Reza Radmanesh as his replacement. Radmanesh called on forces loyal to “Iran’s democracy” to take up arms against the “traitors”. Although he had convinced the Soviet government to provide him with financial aid, which he used to buy weapons, he was wary of turning the entire Army against him and sparking a civil war which he would be doomed to lose. To that effect, he ordered that pro-Tudeh forces not attack Army barracks, and only those soldiers who came out to fight on Zahedi’s behalf were to be branded as traitors.
For four days, Tehran would be engulfed in either a very large riot or a very small civil war, before General Zahedi himself would be captured and shot by Tudeh forces. Radmanesh described the events as the “thwarting of an insurrection”.

American newspapers had a rather different view. MacArthur had returned to news that Iran had “fallen to communism”.

- BNC
The weakness of a united Germany post ww2 is their dependency on imported oil.
A united Germany trying to go to war post ww2 would have its imported oil cut off and this would collapse the economy and military.
As long as Germany's oil stock is monitored and limited to what it needs for current peacetime use then Germany cannot go to war without oil imported or a massive stockpile of oil.
Stockpiles of copper, rubber, iron ore and other strategic materials etc could be monitored too.

Last edited:
CHAPTER 39

At the beginning of the occupation of Japan, MacArthur had presented the new Prime Minister Shidehara with seven reforms that he believed would advance the cause of democracy and rebuild Japan into a prosperous, modern country. The first had been to give women the vote. The second was to encourage the formation and growth of a labour union movement. American women had been granted the right to vote in 1920. Organised labour’s rights had grown during his lifetime, but in 1948 the Taft-Hartley Act had curtailed union power significantly.
Labour unions, MacArthur believed, were a sign of a well-functioning economy. Capitalism was most successful in raising the peoples’ living standards when you allowed those people the greatest freedom to engage in creative enterprises. Unions were both a way for workers to protect themselves from exploitation and abuse, and a sign that those people were taking control of their own prosperity. Government’s purpose was not to impose restrictions on these liberties, merely to ensure neither industry’s owners nor its workers grew so powerful as to be able to take advantage of the other. Taft-Hartley had tipped the scale too far in the owners’ favour.
Most Republicans had voted for Taft-Hartley and then voted again to override Truman’s veto, and many of them believed it had not gone far enough to weaken unions. MacArthur had stood alone, defying his party as he took a pro-union platform to the campaign trail. When the votes were counted, it was labour’s votes in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York that had helped propel him to the nation’s highest office. He returned to the Republican Party with a mandate: the American people wanted labour reform.

He would need it. If the 1948 vote was anything to go by, he had perhaps half of the Democrats in Congress, and few if any Republicans, on his side in the labour battle.
MacArthur had hoped to put a labour bill to Congress during his first year in office: his mandate was strongest immediately after the election and would only decline with every day that passed. His Secretary of Labour, Courtney Whitney, had been put on the job, only for other events to take over the administration’s attention: first the Bricker Amendment, then MacArthur’s foreign trips, all the while cabinet members clashed with both each other and with Ned Almond. It soon became apparent that there would be no MacArthur labour law in 1953. The President was determined that there would not be such a delay in his second year.
Whitney’s first draft of the new Labour Unions Act 1954 arrived on his desk shortly after MacArthur announced he was nominating Orie Phillips to the Supreme Court. The proposal was heavily based off the Japanese Labour Standards Act of 1947, and envisioned a fairly broad repeal of many Taft-Hartley restrictions. It was bold in vision, but both the President and the cabinet members who saw it immediately knew that it was not practical. Richard Nixon didn’t need to read more than the first page before he declared “Sir, Congress won’t even waste their time with a vote on this.”
Whitney asked him why not, and Nixon replied with another question of his own: “Who would vote for it? In the Senate, we’ve got the twenty or so liberals that backed Truman. Who else?”
Whitney, who had no answer, turned to the President. MacArthur, as he so often did on domestic issues, turned to Nixon, the only one among them who had Congressional experience. “Who can we get?” MacArthur asked.
“No-one, the way this bill is written.” Nixon said. “Here’s how I see it: of the four factions in Congress, you’ll never get the South and you’ll never get the conservatives. Democratic liberals have called for repeal of Taft-Hartley since the day it was passed, so they’re on our side already. The last group is the Dewey wing. They won’t support a strong bill, but I believe they can be convinced to pass a weak one.” Then he sighed, already knowing it would be a hard sell. “If you need a name, the first one I’ll give you is Knowland.”
“A conservative.” MacArthur said. It wasn’t a question.
“He’s the party leader. If you get him, others will follow.” Nixon explained. “Unlike every other conservative in the Senate, he also took your side in the Bricker fight. Whatever his reason, and I think that reason is admiration, he can be convinced.”
MacArthur made a small performance out of lighting his pipe as he came up with a plan. Finally, he made his decision. “It’s about time I visited Roosevelt’s retreat.”

Although it had been called Shangri-La by Roosevelt, MacArthur would rename the Maryland retreat Camp Arthur after both his father and son. The fifteen-year-old Arthur took an instant liking to the place, believing it even more exciting than the White House and asking his father if they could visit again soon.
For the elder MacArthur, it provided much more than mere excitement: it was a place where he could gather the people who would be vital to passing a labour law. Whitney and Nixon were invited, as was Knowland. Joining them would also be Senator Wayne Morse of Oregon, one of the few Republicans who had opposed Taft-Hartley. MacArthur left Nixon to facilitate the discussion, knowing his Attorney General had a better sense of what Congress would accept, asking only for “the best that can be passed.”
By the second day of the discussions, the four men thought they had something approaching a workable bill. MacArthur had been out enjoying some time with Jean and Arthur when he was called by Knowland, who was standing on the other end of the lawn.

“Sir, what are your plans for ‘56?” Knowland asked once MacArthur had walked over.
MacArthur had expected to be asked anything from his experience in Japan to whether he wanted the anti-communist provisions of Taft-Hartley left in. One thing he had not expected was what he was planning to do in the election that was a little under three years away. “I… haven’t made any.” he admitted. “Why do you ask?”
“Well, sir, I personally would like to support your efforts to improve our country.” Knowland said. “The difficulty I face in doing so is that my constituents will disagree with you on this matter, and so will most of the party. An unconditional ‘aye’ vote is a considerable risk for me and my career.”
“And you want my endorsement for the Presidency?” MacArthur asked. There wasn’t any point talking around the matter.
“If you wish to speak plainly, yes.” Knowland said. “And the bill we put to Congress cannot touch Section 14b. Those are my conditions.”
Section 14b gave the states the ability to pass right-to-work laws, a point MacArthur believed did nothing but harm labour unions. Unfortunately, Nixon had made clear that attempting to repeal it would be political poison. He had decided before leaving Washington that the hated provision would stay.
“I would prefer if you could keep this quiet for the time being, but I don’t expect to run for a second term.” As much as MacArthur enjoyed being President, he couldn’t imagine doing the job when he was eighty. Until he said so however, the threat of a second term gave him some leverage over undecided lawmakers, and he wanted to keep that threat on the table for as long as he could. “If I’m still around in ‘56, I’ll give you my endorsement.”
“Then I believe we have a deal.” Knowland said.

The bill that the Camp Arthur discussion, and then further discussion in the White House, eventually arrived at was far from the great restoration of labour’s rights that MacArthur had hoped for. It would not touch Section 14b, or the requirement that unions declare themselves to not be supporters of the Communist Party, or even the ability of employers to spread anti-union messages. What it did do was guarantee strikers the right to a jury trial, should they desire one, in the event of labour disputes, repealing one injustice of Taft-Hartley that unions had been vocal about since 1948.
MacArthur returned from Camp Arthur keen to drum up public support for his new proposal, making mention of the need to give union workers a fair trial in several press conferences. Behind the scenes, the key members of MacArthur’s administration were hard at work convincing Representatives and Senators to support the bill. Republicans, especially those newly elected in 1952, were reminded that this was a key part of the President’s platform and that his failure would hurt the party in the upcoming midterms. Liberal Democrats thanked MacArthur for his efforts to further the cause they had fought for in 1948, and attempted to bring their conservative counterparts on side, an effort that was expected to be in vain but did manage to bring in a few additional votes. The rest of the conservatives, and the Congressional committees that they chaired, were sufficiently convinced by the bill’s weakness that they refrained from opposing it too strongly.
Finally, in early June, House Speaker Martin and Majority Leader Knowland decided they had the votes that were needed. A week later, MacArthur signed the Labour Unions Act 1954 into law.

May 20, 1954

As soon as the operator mentioned who was on the other end of the line, Richard Nixon swore. Dealing with J Edgar Hoover was never fun. He might have been Hoover’s boss, but a lot of the time, it felt the other way around. Hoover knew where your skeletons were buried. He knew where your friends’ skeletons were buried too. There was hardly a soul in Washington he didn’t have a file on, and he made it very clear that if you crossed him, your file would be brought out, those secrets given to the press, and your career, maybe your life, would be ruined. Nixon wasn’t scared easily. Even he was intimidated by the FBI Director.

“Good morning, Mr Nixon.” Hoover’s voice came through the telephone.
“Good morning, Edgar.” Nixon replied, although his morning had just become that much less good. “What can I do for you?”
“It seems I have run into a problem.” Hoover said. “Several of my agents believe that there is cause to believe that subversive elements are seeking to threaten our national security. I have tasked them with employing the usual means in which such matters are dealt with, and so far our investigations have been fruitless. Yet the signals - and these are dangerous signals indeed - they remain.”
“Communists?” Nixon asked.
“They could be. Left-wing elements of some kind, that my people are sure of. Allowing them to continue to operate unchecked would have… unfortunate implications for the country.” Hoover said. “Which is why I find it necessary to request the use of, shall we say, unorthodox methods to investigate this matter further. The only way we can be sure they will not cause harm to our country is if the Bureau is given expanded authority, and the final discretion, to install microphone surveillances, so that characters of suspicion may be monitored.”
“Expanded authority?” Nixon asked, writing a note of Hoover’s request.
“That’s correct.” Hoover confirmed. “It is the only way to protect our nation.”
“Well, Edgar, I can take the matter to the boss.” Nixon said. “You make a strong case, and I believe he will accommodate these concerns, but as always the final decision does not lie with me.”
“Of course.” Hoover said. “Goodbye.”

Nixon had no intention of taking the matter to the boss. He already knew what MacArthur would say. He would say no. As far as the President was concerned, Hoover investigated far too many people for far too many things. MacArthur had needed less than ten days in office before he decided that he wanted to fire the FBI boss. The problem, that the President had explained and that his Attorney General was already well aware of, was all of Hoover’s files. Until a way to avoid them was devised, it would be too dangerous to fire him the way MacArthur might have fired a corps commander in Japan. So Nixon was told to keep Hoover happy, and preferably keep him from sticking his nose in any more lives than he already had, until someone - anyone - could think of a way to sack him without it blowing up in everybody’s faces.
Telling Hoover not to investigate something was like telling the sun not to rise. So he gave Hoover the bullshit about asking MacArthur, safe in the knowledge that Hoover wouldn’t come back later to follow it up. If Hoover did whatever it was he wanted to do anyway, Nixon could truthfully say that he had not explicitly approved it, and that neither had MacArthur. The arrangement suited everyone fine, and it left Nixon free to keep looking for… whatever it was that they needed to break Hoover’s hold on power.

Nixon glanced at the note he had just written, and suddenly he had an idea. Maybe this was what he was looking for all along. He decided he would discuss this with MacArthur after all.

- BNC
One of the big problems with labour unions in America oTL was the amount of influence the mafia had with the unions and the plundering of union pension funds by the mob.
The mob with the teamsters being able to cut of trucking to companies the mob did not like is something the feds need to look at.

Last edited:
One of the big problems with labour unions in America oTL was the amount of influence the mafia had with the unions and the plotting of union pension fund by the mob.
The mob with the teamsters being able to cut of trucking to companies the mob did not like is something the feds need to look at.

Something to note though with Hoover gone, and specifically Dewey (even temporarily) in place ANY suggestion of the FBI "looking" at organized crime is going to be both more focused and in-depth than the Mob will like. Hoover had to be forced into what little he did and quickly as he could he abandoned it.

Randy

Something to note though with Hoover gone, and specifically Dewey (even temporarily) in place ANY suggestion of the FBI "looking" at organized crime is going to be both more focused and in-depth than the Mob will like. Hoover had to be forced into what little he did and quickly as he could he abandoned it.

Randy
Well yeah, Hoover had more important stuff to do. Like focusing on "Communists", who he thought was anyone remotely left of him.

bguy

Donor
Well yeah, Hoover had more important stuff to do. Like focusing on "Communists", who he thought was anyone remotely left of him.

Hoover was also supposedly worried about the possibility of FBI agents being bribed if they started seriously investigating the mob. He had spent all this effort building up the public image of the FBI and its agents and didn't want that image ruined by stories of bribery and corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.