Do you approve or disapprove of the way that Douglas MacArthur is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 199 72.6%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 75 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is gonna be a good one!
This TL is definitely going to be a good one!
Hope you like it! :)

There already was the M8 Scott in WW2, so that name is taken.
I mean, Patton had four tanks named after him, so names can be re-used. I'll keep thinking about this :)

Looks like Patton got to go on that pheasant hunt after all on Dec. 8th 1945.
Well, not that pheasant hunt. He's been out of Germany for a good six months by that point. I'm sure he managed a hunt somewhere in California to make up for it ;)

But here's the big question.
How did he deal with the whole mess involving his niece Jean Gordon?
He and his wife seem to have a good relationship, so I suppose he found a way to solve it?
Jean's fate is just as awful as in OTL.
As for George and Beatrice... they had been together for something like 40 years by that point, and there's five years between his retirement and when Korea blows up: plenty of time for them to work it out. Plus, they were utterly devoted to each other - if nothing else, she stuck by him during a major episode of depression during the 1930s (I imagine George at this time was just as unhinged as he became in late 1945 OTL)... if that didn't break the marriage I'm not sure anything was going to.

Such wonderful names as Rose, Pansy, Tulip, Veronica, Sunflower, and, I kid you not, Snowflake.
x'Dx'Dx'D
Not sure I'll go so far as to call a tank 'Snowflake'. Be a pretty good laugh if I did :)

It would be interesting in this TL to see if somebody ”smelled a big commie rat” (to quote General Buck Turgidson😜), and that spy ring is exposed earlier than IOTL.
Hadn't actually heard about that before. Considering how sloppy security was in Korea, makes me wonder if anyone would notice if a few more spies got caught....

I like this. Patton and MacArthur--can the peninsula hold that much ego without exploding?
Good thing MacArthur only leaves Japan a couple of times a month then.

- BNC

Very unusual pod but indeed that it's very interesting. Watched.
Edit.
Now, I'm also imagining the face of Dough, when and if somebody 'd will communicate him about the Patton's new command... I'm pretty sure that the yells 'd be heard from Washington...

Last edited:
Knowing how much Patton hated Communism. All I have to say Is Beijing or bust baby.
Indeed, but at difference to McArthur, his lack of any political ambitions (aside of how much misplaced, they were) and the main is, at least IMO, that Patton, even if hating them, wouldn't ever to think to question nor to refuse to obey the President orders...

I am looking forward to this; although it will be hard to improve on what Walker did at Pusan and the attack north. Although what was it that Ernie King denied saying when named Commander of the US Fleet. "When the going gets tough they send for the sons of bitches."

Would patton accept the Chinese ultimatum about the USA army no crossing the line or would just say NUTS and try to copy OTL Macarthur and think he could defeat China

Now, I'm also imagining the face of Dough, when and if somebody 'd will communicate him about the Patton's new command... I'm pretty sure that the yells 'd be heard from Washington.
I wouldn't want to be the sorry bastard tasked with telling him! o_O

Although what was it that Ernie King denied saying when named Commander of the US Fleet. "When the going gets tough they send for the sons of bitches."
That's basically the idea that gets him out of California :)

Could be posible that while he wait the President answer if he 'd 'll spending the time along with Bea in his schooner?
I like to think that he sailed it, at least somewhere, sometime between the wars.

You magnificent sonofabitch.
I'm honoured :)

Would patton accept the Chinese ultimatum about the USA army no crossing the line or would just say NUTS and try to copy OTL Macarthur and think he could defeat China
Can't give away the answer to this yet, I'm afraid. Though you might find a clue in the poem "Through a Glass, Darkly" if you look hard enough.

- BNC

Would the Soviet Union and it's allies and/or communist China really risk nuclear war with USA and it's allies and NATO over Korea?

I doubt that the US Army or it's Allies will do any better under Patton as against they did in real life. Afterall, Patton was well known for his "charging" attitude to war and it was exactly that which got the US Army in so much trouble in real life after Pusan. They charged up the valleys and ignored the ridges which was where the Chinese and Korean armies were and which caused the US Army to "bug out" when they were outflanked. Patton would have made the same mistakes IMO. He'd have charged just as happily up the valleys and ignored the same ridges.

Would the Soviet Union and it's allies and/or communist China really risk nuclear war with USA and it's allies and NATO over Korea?
Stalin wouldn't. He knew the USSR would be screwed in such a war, and every action he took during the war suggests he wasn't willing to take hardly any risk that could result in one. Mao I'm less sure about.
Of course, the US didn't know this for sure...

One of the interesting questions is whether Patton resists MacArthur's appointment of Ned Almond to command the X Corps.
That one's going to be fun to write :)

I doubt that the US Army or it's Allies will do any better under Patton as against they did in real life. Afterall, Patton was well known for his "charging" attitude to war and it was exactly that which got the US Army in so much trouble in real life after Pusan. They charged up the valleys and ignored the ridges which was where the Chinese and Korean armies were and which caused the US Army to "bug out" when they were outflanked. Patton would have made the same mistakes IMO. He'd have charged just as happily up the valleys and ignored the same ridges.
There's a lot of good arguments to be made on both sides about this. I don't want to say too much about this just yet, but rest assured that Patton won't be doing just whatever Walker did.

- BNC

Oh the big battle will not in the field but in the UN general staff...you image McArthur and Patton in the same room and with 2 different idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.