Parameters of an ATL 1598 Spanish Succession War w/ an English Heir

Let me lay out the parameters of this scenario, Mary I of England has a son with Phillip of Spain ca. 1556 (we'll call him Henry) and she lives a few years longer, dying in around 1567 or so. Many of the reformation policies are reversed and the Catholic succession is secured. Following the death of Francis II, the Catholic Monarchs secure a betrothal, in 1561, between the five year old Henry and the nineteen year old Queen of Scots, Mary.

Henry von Habsburg ascends to the Throne in that year as King Henry IX and, in his minority, he has a series of strong Catholic regents under the foreign influence of Phillip, who is no longer King (per the terms of his marriage to Mary) but nonetheless exerts influence. Phillip, as per OTL, becomes King of Portugal in 1581. As per OTL, Don Carlos (his first son) dies in 1568. Since the POD is in 1556, all of Phillips's subsequent children are butterflied but we can assume a similar situation whereby he has another three sons who both die young (as opposed to the two IOTL; Phillip III lived) and then two daughters, only one of which lives until 1598. We can call her Isabella to mirror her OTL character for simplicity's sake. At this time, she's unmarried.

Under the terms of the marriage, King Henry IX of England, Ireland, and Scotland (Jure uxoris) stands to inherit the entire low countries. This will presume the butterflying of the 80-years war, as an England actively hostile to the Dutch rebellion will potentially doom the whole exercise.

The terms also stated that "if Prince Charles died without issue, the eldest son or daughter of Phillip and Mary should succeed, as well to Spain and Italy, as the other Dominions" (source).

This lines up perfectly to what would almost certainly be the most controversial incident in European history to that time; Henry would stand to inherit, by the terms of his parents marriage terms, the entire Spanish Inheritance, ruling a massive empire spanning from India to nearly all of the Americas to the entirety of the British Isles, all of Iberia, all of the Netherlands, etc. This would almost certainly not go over internationally (France will be howling) but also domestically as I'm sure many powerful forces in Iberia would prefer the young eligible bachelorette Isabella (whom they could more likely control). The Portuguese may additionally view this as an opportunity to exit.

Spain's domains to that point were not governed by Salic law - presumably Phillip may try to impose it to avoid the succession war, but it may not take. I presume the Netherlands (by merit of the fact that Mary of Burgundy inherited them) are not governed by total Salic law, and in any case Henry's claim to them is rock solid as it comes and he will probably end up with them or part of them following a conflict barring some disaster .

It's fair to assume that the 42-year old Henry will try to push his claim. I would assume France would support Isabella. Where would the Emperor (a Habsburg, though probably not thrilled about the union) stand? Rudolf II (b. 1552) was famously unmarried and perhaps marrying his cousin so as to reunite his great uncle's patrimony or pass it off to a second son provided he has one.

Who else arrays where? Do I have my general understanding of how things would unfold correctly?

Last edited:
An interesting question and caveat here is potential matches for Isabella in this ATL. A French match is unlikely, but perhaps with a Farnese of Parma since they're also descended from Manuel of Portugal? What Phillip does, I assume, is really critical I would suppose

Let me lay out the parameters of this scenario, Mary I of England has a son with Phillip of Spain ca. 1556 (we'll call him Henry) and she lives a few years longer, dying in around 1567 or so. Many of the reformation policies are reversed and the Catholic succession is secured. Following the death of Francis II, the Catholic Monarchs secure a betrothal, in 1561, between the five year old Henry and the nineteen year old Queen of Scots, Mary.

Henry von Habsburg ascends to the Throne in that year as King Henry IX and, in his minority, he has a series of strong Catholic regents under the foreign influence of Phillip, who is no longer King (per the terms of his marriage to Mary) but nonetheless exerts influence. Phillip, as per OTL, becomes King of Portugal in 1581. As per OTL, Don Carlos (his first son) dies in 1568. Since the POD is in 1556, all of Phillips's subsequent children are butterflied but we can assume a similar situation whereby he has another three sons who both die young (as opposed to the two IOTL; Phillip III lived) and then two daughters, only one of which lives until 1598. We can call her Isabella to mirror her OTL character for simplicity's sake. At this time, she's unmarried.

Under the terms of the marriage, King Henry IX of England, Ireland, and Scotland (Jure uxoris) stands to inherit the entire low countries. This will presume the butterflying of the 80-years war, as an England actively hostile to the Dutch rebellion will potentially doom the whole exercise.

The terms also stated that "if Prince Charles died without issue, the eldest son or daughter of Phillip and Mary should succeed, as well to Spain and Italy, as the other Dominions" (source).

This lines up perfectly to what would almost certainly be the most controversial incident in European history to that time; Henry would stand to inherit, by the terms of his parents marriage terms, the entire Spanish Inheritance, ruling a massive empire spanning from India to nearly all of the Americas to the entirety of the British Isles, all of Iberia, all of the Netherlands, etc. This would almost certainly not go over internationally (France will be howling) but also domestically as I'm sure many powerful forces in Iberia would prefer the young eligible bachelorette Isabella (whom they could more likely control). The Portuguese may additionally view this as an opportunity to exit.

Spain's domains to that point were not governed by Salic law - presumably Phillip may try to impose it to avoid the succession war, but it may not take. I presume the Netherlands (by merit of the fact that Mary of Burgundy inherited them) are not governed by total Salic law, and in any case Henry's claim to them is rock solid as it comes and he will probably end up with them or part of them following a conflict barring some disaster .

It's fair to assume that the 42-year old Henry will try to push his claim. I would assume France would support Isabella. Where would the Emperor (a Habsburg, though probably not thrilled about the union) stand? Rudolf II (b. 1552) was famously unmarried and perhaps marrying his cousin so as to reunite his great uncle's patrimony or pass it off to a second son provided he has one.

Who else arrays where? Do I have my general understanding of how things would unfold correctly?

An interesting scenario, to be sure.

But I do have one or two questions:
1) Why is Henry marrying a girl a decade and a half older than him? It makes the window for likely heirs very small - in a decade when he can father kids, she's halfway to menopause. So, Felipe might decide she's not worth it - Hell, Mary Stuart might decide this herself. She wants a Catholic royal husband, but she wouldn't want to marry a kid. Although she was willing to wait around for Charles IX OTL, so I guess there's some sense (very little, but some).

2) I think whether or not Henry/Henri/Hendrik/Enrique is going to be considered a decent candidate for the throne of Spain is going to depend on several factors:
2.1) who is the mother of Felipe's other kids? Is it another Habsburg? Cause then she might have the backing of the imperial branch (for what that's worth) - especially if, like OTL Isabel Clara Eugenia she's betrothed to either her Austrian archducal cousin (Ernst/Albrecht) or the son and heir of the duke of Bragança.
2.2) Have the Valois and Aviz gone extinct as OTL? If yes, then France is hardly in the position to protest about this whole thing, since she's just got out of the throes of a civil war; and Isabel's likely been offered to the duke of Bragança's son as OTL. If no, then the Valois position about this might depend on who's king of France (or is it a regency?), while the Portuguese crown prince is most likely engaged to Isabel before Felipe's breathed his last.
2.3) And most importantly, does Henry have kids? If yes, then Spain's not going to want to be in PU with England anymore than vice versa, so they'll probably take one kid for London and one goes to Madrid. As pointed out, the sex doesn't really matter too much in Spain. Actually, assuming that Henry's been lucky with kids, he might even be a grandfather already (assuming a 16-20year generation gap), which would mean that if he has two sons, he does the reverse of what his parents' marriage contract did. Elder son and his heirs gets England and the Low Countries. Younger son and his heirs gets Spain. If there's only one son, then oldest grandson and younger grandson. And if there's only one male, then oldest grandson and oldest granddaughter.

3) The Spanish cortes won't accept an imperial husband for Isabel. So, if she marries Rudolf, they'd probably drop her like a hot potato. Not to mention that Rudolf made it pretty clear in the mid-1580s he wasn't going to be marrying anybody IIRC. As said above, a Portuguese match (or the duke of Savoy) seems more likely. Farnese as an outside candidate. If Portuguese or Italian are unsuitable, then I'm sure Ernst can avoid getting glass in his food (like OTL, especially since he wouldn't be sent to the Netherlands). Another option, extraordinarily icky, but this is Iberia and the Habsburgs, if the age gap between Henry's second son and Isabel is small enough, why not marry the two of them?

@Kynan's sort of rough family outline on a similar topic from last year (Mary I having surviving issue):

An interesting idea would be an earlier War of the Spanish Succession. Let's say it occurs as of 1599. Here's the family tree to back this up:

Philip II of Spain (b.1527: d.1598) m. Maria Manuela of Portugal (b.1527: d.1545) (a), Mary I of England (b.1516: d.1585) (b), Archduchess Margaret of Austria (b.1567: d.1633) (c)

1a) Carlos von Hapsburg, Prince of Asturias (b.1545: d.1568) m. Elisabeth de Valois, Princess of France (b.1545: d.1565) (a)

1a) Juan von Hapsburg, Prince of Asturias (b.1559: d.1571)

2a) Philip III of Spain (b.1561: d.1599) m. Elisabeth of Lorraine (b.1574: d.1635) (a)

3a) Isabella Clara Eugenia von Hapsburg, Infanta of Spain (b.1562: d.1630) m. Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy (b.1562: d.1630) (a)

1a) Philip Emmanuel, Prince of Piedmont (b.1584)

2a) Margaret of Savoy (b.1588)

3a) Maria Apollonia of Spain (b.1591)

4a) Charles Thomas of Savoy (b.1592: d.1592)

5a) Francesca of Savoy (b.1595)

6a) Isabella of Savoy (b.1598: d.1599)​
4a) Miscarriage (c.1563)

5a) Stillborn Son (c.1565)

6a) Stillborn Son (c.1565)​
2b) Charles Tudor-Hapsburg*, I of England (b.1555: d.1610) m. Archduchess Anna of Austria (b.1549: d.1590) (a)

1a) Princess Mary Tudor-Hapsburg of England (b.1572: d.1619) m. Maximilian I, Elector of Bavaria (b.1573: d.1651) (a)

1a) Maria Anna of Bavaria (b.1595)

2a) Maximilian of Bavaria (b.1599)
2a) Princess Catherine Tudor-Hapsburg of England (b.1574: d.1590)

3a) Stillborn Daughter (c.1575)

4a) Philip Tudor-Hapsburg, Prince of Wales (b.1578) m. Elisabeth of Austria (b.1577: d.1584) (a), Gregoria Maximiliana of Austria (b.1581: d.1623) (b)

1a) Princess Elizabeth Tudor-Hapsburg of England (b.1599)

2a) Prince Charles Tudor-Hapsburg, Duke of Clarence (b.1601)​
5a) Princess Eleanor Tudor-Hapsburg of England (b.1580)

6a) Prince Arthur Tudor-Hapsburg of England, Duke of York (b.1583: d.1584)

7a) Prince Henry Tudor-Hapsburg of England, Duke of York (b.1586)
3c) Diego von Hapsburg, Infante of Spain (b.1588: d.1588)

4c) Carlos von Hapsburg, Infante of Spain (b.1591)

5c) Stillborn Son (c.1593)​
*Tudor-Hapsburg decision was made after the birth of Prince Charles of England and Spain, as a way to delineate the English Hapsburg line from the Spanish Hapsburg one, particularly after the birth of Juan of Spain, the eldest son of Carlos, Prince of Asturias. The decision was informally agreed to shortly after the Prince of Wales' birth, and later formally written into law in 1563.

Red highlights people who have claims that are considered paramount, either by themselves or others.

So, there we have it. We have a childless grandchild of Philip II of Spain, and 7 potential Kings/Queens of Spain. With England being Catholic, the "religion isn't right" argument, if even brought up, is worthless. You have two seperate sons of Philip II of Spain in the running, one elder but with his own country, who will most likely be against the union, the other 8 years old who lacks seniority. Then you have the "proper" heir, Isabella Clara Eugenia, who, as the next surviving heir of Carlos, Prince of Wales, should technically be Queen. And then you've got the ambitious children of England and Savoy, and their partners for their children. It's all a mess, but it could be fun.

Sorry if I've taken this in an odd direction, but I genuinely just think this would be a really interesting area to explore in a Catholic England from the Marian line.

An interesting scenario, to be sure.

But I do have one or two questions:
1) Why is Henry marrying a girl a decade and a half older than him? It makes the window for likely heirs very small - in a decade when he can father kids, she's halfway to menopause. So, Felipe might decide she's not worth it - Hell, Mary Stuart might decide this herself. She wants a Catholic royal husband, but she wouldn't want to marry a kid. Although she was willing to wait around for Charles IX OTL, so I guess there's some sense (very little, but some).
\

All valid points - wanted to focus specifically on this. While there is a considerable age gap involved here, there's some advantages for both parties. IOTL in the 1560s, Mary had to deal with Protestant rebels (granted, partially due to her Catholic marriage), which ITTL Mary will be more than happy to help establish Catholic supremacy in the British Isles. Securing the help of England in securing her reign after returning from France seems like a very attractive thing. Meanwhile, for the Habsburgs, securing an alliance with Scotland will sever the Auld Alliance and give England a free hand going forward hypothetically against the French. The age mismatch is an issue but Henry could probably start having kids with Mary when she's in her very late 20s or early 30s. Not ideal, but perhaps worth it.

You raise an interesting point, however. Since the POD is in ca. 1556, the disastrous War of the Three Henrys will probably be avoided and Charles's death may very well be butterflied. The Charles IX-Anna of Austria match could end up happening here since Mary doesn't die until 1567 changes Phillip's marriage dynamics. This may make the Valois more dynamic.

\
You raise an interesting point, however. Since the POD is in ca. 1556, the disastrous War of the Three Henrys will probably be avoided and Charles's death may very well be butterflied. The Charles IX-Anna of Austria match could end up happening here since Mary doesn't die until 1567 changes Phillip's marriage dynamics. This may make the Valois more dynamic.

Or Anna could wind up marrying D. Carlos - which was also proposed OTL (unless Carlos marries Elisabeth de Valois (which is pretty likely if his dad's not available) or Mary, Queen of Scots, and Anna of Austria marries Charles IX as a sort of double Habsburg-Valois marriage arrangement).

But, to go with your situation, then we have the Valois (Anna had four sons, one daughter, and two stillbirths with her uncle, of whom only one survived infancy. If we attribute that in part to it being a poor match and in part to the terrible medical care they had in Spain, she should (in theory) leave Charles (to whom she is less closely related) with at least four surviving children - two boys and two girls. So, the Valois are alright for now, which means Henryk Valeszy doesn't get recalled from Poland. And the Valois get a cadet branch in Poland (assuming things there move as OTL, i.e. no Janos II Zapolya surviving or something like that).

So, come 1585 we have:
Habsburg England+Netherlands+Scotland with a Habsburg heir
Habsburg Spain+Portugal+Naples+Sicily
Habsburg Austria+Hungary+Bohemia

Valois France
Valois Poland+Lithuania

Could make for fun times.

Is there any conceivable way here France makes a play for the Spanish crowns? I’m not seeing it here immediately (the Austrian succession comes to mind with several degrees closer candidates)