--

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet

--

--

October, 15th, 1952

A massive crowd swelled around the podium as the man they had waited several hours to see came to the stage. Out of the wings walked the Republican Presidential nominee Robert Taft, followed by the man that the people had come to see speak; his running mate Douglas MacArthur. While Taft wasn't a very good campaigner, his running mate made up for his shortcomings with his bombastic personality. People, well some people anyways, liked MacArthur; he was a war hero, a staunch anti-communist and he made Taft seem just a little bit more noticeable. The two men hoped to unseat the Democratic Party from the White House after twenty years of domination by beating Adlai Stevenson. Taft gave a short speech that received clapping a praise from the crowd, but that would soon disappear under the thunderous roar of applause and screams as the former general approached the podium to add a few closing statements.

“No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation. There are those who say that this war is the wrong war, with the wrong enemy, those that would appease Red China. I have said before that they are blind to history's clear lesson, for history teaches with unmistakable emphasis that appeasement but begets new and bloodier wars. Robert and I will preserve the freedoms of America, by pursuing victory in Korea. A victory in November means a victory in Korea, a victory over communism, and a victory over corruption!”

The crowd applauded the two men as MacArthur and Taft left the stage.

--

November 4, 1952

MacArthur held a grin on his face even as his lips held a Cuban cigar in his mouth. He was elated, he and Robert had won, it had been closer than he would have liked, but he had once said “You win or lose, live or die — and the difference is just an eyelash.” About war so he supposed the same was true in politics. As he greeted the President-elect he asked him.

“What’s wrong Robert? You don’t look so well?”

Taft replied “Oh, it’s nothing I’ll be fine.”

What neither men knew was that Taft would not be fine, the heavy campaigning had weakened his body cancer was slowly killing him.

--

November 4, 1952

Molotov nervously looked around the table at the others who comrade General-Secretary Vissarionovich had called up. Molotov knew that Stalin’s mind was going, the strokes, heart attacks, and the Great Patriotic War had taken a great toll on the man; he was even more paranoid than usual. And while Molotov was fairly certain he knew what this meeting was about he could not be sure that it wasn’t just Stalin rounding them all up to be liquidated. The great Georgian sat at the head of the table looking at the others, his heavy face looking into the very souls of those around him before he decided to speak.

“The capitalist Americans have shown their true nature as fascists today in their election of General MacArthur and his figurehead this Robert Taft.”

Molotov didn’t speak though he felt that it wasn’t entirely a bad thing that Taft had been elected. The man did not want to be part of NATO a threat to the USSR’s security and was more like the isolationists that had tried to keep the Americans out of the last war. Beria spoke as if on cue with Stalin’s gaze.

“While the election of the general undoubtedly shows the true fascist nature of the Americans it may be beneficial to us as MacArthur is a man of the east, he will look to be less involved in Europe and more involved in Asia. Trading in Mao for Europe may be a possibility with this administration.”

--

February 15th, 1953

“How bad is it, Robert?” MacArthur asked Taft.

“It’s not good Mac, the doctors say it has spread throughout my body and is inoperable. The stress of the campaign weakened my body and sped up the spread of the tumors. I’ve got a little bit over a month at best.”

--

Last edited:
What happebned to Ike? How close was it? Did Truman think about running when he saw the opposition?

It is hard to believe that Mac would settle for running mate but I gotta say this is the best way to get him into the White House.

It is hard to believe that Mac would settle for running mate but I gotta say this is the best way to get him into the White House.

Hoover final political legacy was trying to create an Taft-MacArthur anti-Eisenhower ticket. I am looking forward to the insanity and interesting times in this TL though.

What happened to Ike? How close was it? Did Truman think about running when he saw the opposition?

1. Ike didn't run and is still in Europe.

2. will be revealed later.

3. He thought about it, but ended up making the same decision as OTL because he didn't want to split the Democratic party because he didn't get the nomination.

Well this is what I get for not starting on an MacArthur presidency TL and getting it out there. However there is another iconic American general who could replace Ike in '52....

Speech. Less.

Alas, Babylon.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Well this is what I get for not starting on an MacArthur presidency TL and getting it out there. However there is another iconic American general who could replace Ike in '52....

I've been doing research for this TL ever since I finished my first semester European History final which I chose to do on Operation Vulture (That might give you a hint at were this TL is headed).

pnyckqx

Banned
October, 15th, 1952

A massive crowd swelled around the podium as the man they had waited several hours to see came to the stage. Out of the wings walked the Republican Presidential nominee Robert Taft, followed by the man that the people had come to see speak; his running mate Douglas MacArthur. While Taft wasn't a very good campaigner, his running mate made up for his shortcomings with his bombastic personality. People, well some people anyways, liked MacArthur; he was a war hero, a staunch anti-communist and he made Taft seem just a little bit more noticeable. The two men hoped to unseat the Democratic Party from the White House after twenty years of domination by beating Adlai Stevenson. Taft gave a short speech that received clapping a praise from the crowd, but that would soon disappear under the thunderous roar of applause and screams as the former general approached the podium to add a few closing statements.

“No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation. There are those who say that this war is the wrong war, with the wrong enemy, those that would appease Red China. I have said before that they are blind to history's clear lesson, for history teaches with unmistakable emphasis that appeasement but begets new and bloodier wars. Robert and I will preserve the freedoms of America, by pursuing victory in Korea. A victory in November means a victory in Korea, a victory over communism, and a victory over corruption!”

The crowd applauded the two men as MacArthur and Taft left the stage.

--

November 4, 1952

MacArthur held a grin on his face even as his lips held a Cuban cigar in his mouth. He was elated, he and Robert had won, it had been closer than he would have liked, but he had once said “You win or lose, live or die — and the difference is just an eyelash.” About war so he supposed the same was true in politics. As he greeted the President-elect he asked him.

“What’s wrong Robert? You don’t look so well?”

Taft replied “Oh, it’s nothing I’ll be fine.”

What neither men knew was that Taft would not be fine, the heavy campaigning had weakened his body cancer was slowly killing him.

--

November 4, 1952

Molotov nervously looked around the table at the others who comrade General-Secretary Vissarionovich had called up. Molotov knew that Stalin’s mind was going, the strokes, heart attacks, and the Great Patriotic War had taken a great toll on the man; he was even more paranoid than usual. And while Molotov was fairly certain he knew what this meeting was about he could not be sure that it wasn’t just Stalin rounding them all up to be liquidated. The great Georgian sat at the head of the table looking at the others, his heavy face looking into the very souls of those around him before he decided to speak.

“The capitalist Americans have shown their true nature as fascists today in their election of General MacArthur and his figurehead this Robert Taft.”

Molotov didn’t speak though he felt that it wasn’t entirely a bad thing that Taft had been elected. The man did not want to be part of NATO a threat to the USSR’s security and was more like the isolationists that had tried to keep the Americans out of the last war. Beria spoke as if on cue with Stalin’s gaze.

“While the election of the general undoubtedly shows the true fascist nature of the Americans it may be beneficial to us as MacArthur is a man of the east, he will look to be less involved in Europe and more involved in Asia. Trading in Mao for Europe may be a possibility with this administration.”

--

February 15th, 1953

“How bad is it, Robert?” MacArthur asked Taft.

“It’s not good Mac, the doctors say it has spread throughout my body and is inoperable. The stress of the campaign weakened my body and sped up the spread of the tumors. I’ve got a little bit over a month at best.”

--
MacArthur would be 73 years old when he took office, and pushing 74 when he became POTUS. Way too old.

1948 would have been more realistic, although you'd have to have him beat Dewey in the primaries, and have to bring him home from Japan to campaign. No way Truman was going to let that happen.

MacArthur would be 73 years old when he took office, and pushing 74 when he became POTUS. Way too old.

1948 would have been more realistic, although you'd have to have him beat Dewey in the primaries, and have to bring him home from Japan to campaign. No way Truman was going to let that happen.

Please snip rather than quoting the entire thing as it takes up needless space.

He did try and run in OTL and Taft did talk about making him his VP during the 52 election. Seeing as I've already written a fair deal of this TL and all my research is based on a 1952 Pod not a 48 Pod that drastically changes Japan I will continue along this line.

Plus as you said there is no way Truman would have allowed him to come home for the primaries. A Taft-MacArthur 1952 ticket is the most realistic way to get Mac to be president without creating countless butterflies. Mac is old but he wasn't elected to be president he was VP to make Taft more attractive to the electorate his becoming president wasn't exactly anticipated.

Hmm, I tend to dislike MacArthur, but...Interesting so far, I have subscribed so I can see where you are taking this.

Is it treason to plot the death of someone who wasn't POTUS IOTL? :-}

I'll be watching this with interest and fear.

*Cough* Ronald Reagan *Cough*

He was still old. For it's time, this would have been unprecedented, but it's a possibility.

Gauging by how much faster he is likely to age due to continuous stress from holding the office itself, I think his Health is going to decline to the point where he is forced to recuse himself from the running in 1956. However, there then comes into question what kind of legislation would be drawn up as compared to ten years later (63-64) in regards to succession, and if allowed, who he would pick as his Vice President.​