Out with the Old Firm (Scottish Football 2012-?, SFL rejects Rangers)

June-July 2012: The End of an Era
901d325abe82b6d1531e7b1fc914e749.jpeg

12th June, 2012

The darkest or the brightest day in Scottish football history, depending on whom you ask. HMRC confirmed today that they would reject a proposed CVA for Rangers to continue operating, meaning they would have to be liquidated and reformed. This, of course, would mean losing their membership of the Scottish Premier League. Much gloating over Facebook and Twitter followed by opposition fans, glad to see off a club they felt was damaging the reputation of the Scottish game. Some papers reported an end to 140 years of Rangers history, while others were more sceptical that the club would just go away after the liquidation. Whatever the truth, this will be the end of an era.

14th June, 2012

Charles Green today announced that he had purchased Rangers' assets in a deal worth £5.5 million. The business and the assets of the club are now owned by Sevco Scotland 5088 Ltd., a company held by a Green-led consortium. This was despite a last minute bid by former manager, Walter Smith, who has been offered the position of chairman by Green. Sources indicate that he is highly unlikely to accept.

Late June, 2012

Much discussion has been made over what is to be done with Rangers, with the question of their SPL membership being raised given their reformation. A transfer of a membership share between the old company and the new company would require a two-thirds majority of the twelve current SPL clubs; however, eight clubs have already declared their intention to reject this proposition. Only Celtic, Kilmarnock, and Ross County have not declared their voting intentions. The vote will be held on the 4th of July.

4th July, 2012

Rangers' application to join the Scottish Premier League has officially been rejected as expected. The vote ended 10-1, with Kilmarnock abstaining, and only Rangers themselves in favour. The issue will now turn to the Scottish Football League, with 30 teams in three divisions now voting whether to accept Rangers as a member, and if they do, whether they will place them in the First Division or in the lowest Third Division. The former option has been strongly opposed by representatives of several clubs, including the Raith Rovers chairman Turnbull Hutton, who decried the proposal to send them only one division below as "corrupt".

29th July, 2012

In a stunning vote, the SFL clubs have rejected the proposed entry of Rangers into the SFL, whether in the First Division or the Third. Clubs voted 17-13 not to offer the new company the membership that would have been afforded to the old one. In an emergency vote triggered by the increasing likelihood of SFL rejection, the three senior regional non-league bodies have also rejected the possibility of Rangers' entry.

It has been confirmed at the last minute, therefore, that multiple clubs will play in higher divisions than expected in the next season, which begins within a week. Dundee now find themselves playing in the Premier League after finishing a distant second in last season's First Division, whilst play-off losers from the Second and Third Divisions, Airdrie United and Stranraer, will be promoted after all. The remaining slot in the Third Division will be filled by the champions of the South of Scotland Football League, Dalbeattie Star, who accepted an invitation by the SFL. Meanwhile, Rangers have been left to the Scottish football wilderness...​

(So this is my debut in TLing, I've wanted to explore this one recently. Any feedback is welcomed.)

The darkest or the brightest day in Scottish football history, depending on whom you ask.​

An excellent way of putting it. This is a strong start to what is a very interesting premise, although if I had to make one criticism I would question what exactly has caused such venom to be aimed to Sevco? I could understand a demand for greater punishment in a more chaotic scenario but the idea of the Lowland League turning away thousands of new away supporters and pies at Ibrox based on spite seems a bit off.

All the same, can't wait to see where you take this!

I could understand a demand for greater punishment in a more chaotic scenario but the idea of the Lowland League turning away thousands of new away supporters and pies at Ibrox based on spite seems a bit off.
The Lowland League wasn't around until the restructuring of 2013-14, though there had been discussions around introducing a fifth level of the Scottish pyramid, which the 3 regional divisions (Highland League, East of Scotland League, and South of Scotland League) would want to be a part of. A league accepting Rangers would make the idea of introducing that league or its representatives into the pyramid unpopular, because it would afford a quick comeback opportunity to a club that they had made clear they didn't want to continue in their league system. Or, at least that's how I feel it would have worked. I see where you're coming from though.

(OTL the EoSL and SoSL weren't put directly into the pyramid anyway, instead contributing clubs to the new Lowland League. So it ultimately wouldn't have mattered, but I see them acting in long-term self-interest.)

Ramontxo

Donor
So what if the Rangers and the Celtics ask together for a transfer to the english Premier League? Íf so would them have been accepted? Maybe a first league place would be an option?

So what if the Rangers and the Celtics ask together for a transfer to the english Premier League? Íf so would them have been accepted? Maybe a first league place would be an option?

There's really never been an appetite on the Premier League's part to allow Rangers and Celtic to play for them. I doubt that changes here, and the events I feel would make accepting Rangers in particular unappetising.

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
1 - a part of the fanbase of the Ugly Sisters keep on moaning how the "Scottish league" is "holding them back". They overlook two things:
1a - Sky TV does not wish to see their fans shitting over the image of the self-proclaimed "best league in the world" with songs featuring such gems like

Now they raped and fondled their kids
That's what those perverts from the darkside did
And they swept it under the carpet
and Large John he hid
Their evils seeds have been sown
Cause they're not of our own
Well the famine is over
Why don't you go home?

or
Roamin in the Gloamin with a shamrock in my hand,
Roamin in the Gloamin with St Patrick's fenian band.
And when the music stops, fuck King Billy and John Knox,
OH its great to be a Roman Catholic.

The former is not very nice about the Catholic Church and Irish immigrants, the latter glorifies the terrorists of the IRA.

1b - In the EFL? In their dreams ... at best they would be EFL/Championship yo-yos. So no revenue from European competitions. I'm not talking about about "European glory" here, but only participation in European competitions - Rangers 2012 lost to a Luxemburger half-amateur outfit, remember? ... hurr-hurr

2 - IMO it should had been the Spartans or Edinburgh City, not Dalbeattie Star, to make up the numbers in the SFL.

3 - IMO the AU SFL thumbing up its nose at Rangers 2012 should had resulted in them being taken in by EOFL. And at that point an emergency meeting of the "fancy handshake brigade" :) at the SFA would had resulted at sudden introduction of promotion and relegation between the SFL and a team meeting SFL membership criteria who had won one of the semi-pro leagues.

Last edited:
The Lowland League wasn't around until the restructuring of 2013-14, though there had been discussions around introducing a fifth level of the Scottish pyramid, which the 3 regional divisions (Highland League, East of Scotland League, and South of Scotland League) would want to be a part of. A league accepting Rangers would make the idea of introducing that league or its representatives into the pyramid unpopular, because it would afford a quick comeback opportunity to a club that they had made clear they didn't want to continue in their league system. Or, at least that's how I feel it would have worked. I see where you're coming from though.

(OTL the EoSL and SoSL weren't put directly into the pyramid anyway, instead contributing clubs to the new Lowland League. So it ultimately wouldn't have mattered, but I see them acting in long-term self-interest.)

Not sure why I thought the Lowland League was already around, must be getting my dates mixed up!

I can understand Sevco being refused automatic entry into the SFL but surely there’d be an appetite for giving them a path back somehow? I remember at the time discussing it and there seemed to be an acknowledgment that even if they got rejected from the SFL something would be arranged. Even some of my Celtic supporting mates seemed to be wary of making sure that Sevco could never return. Not all of them mind you but it’s hard to see the antipathy of hardline Celtic fans becoming the consensus without a far more damaging initial collapse.

The Summer 2012 Transfer Window
_61457860_rangers1.jpg

9th July 2012

The question on everyone's minds in the current transfer window of Scottish football: What will happen to the Rangers players? With their SPL membership rejected, there has been a split between contracted employees who intend to remain (including current manager Ally McCoist) and those who wish to leave. Five top players have found new clubs on free transfers, on the advice of the players' union who insist that they are free agents, while six more are refusing to join the new company[1]. Several of the players who remain have been assured by representatives of the board that they are confident that they will play in the Scottish Football League next season.

However, any transfers are yet to gain international clearance, as Rangers still seek compensation for the moves and thus the SFA will not authorise them. Charles Green has publicly insisted that his company retained the contracts from the old company through TUPE rules. Muddying the waters further, of course, is the fact that the SFA are arbiting over transfers for a company that is to be liquidated on behalf of a new company which are not yet members. The confusion continues.

Late July-Early August, 2012

Several more Rangers players have asked to leave with the news that they will not participate in any SFA sanctioned league this season. Dorin Goian, Maurice Edu, Carlos Bocanegra Of the first team from last season, only captain Lee McCulloch remains, who has previously made it clear that he is sticking with his club whatever happens. Ian Black pulled out of a deal agreed in principle, and a move for Kilmarnock midfielder Dean Shiels ultimately fizzled out after the announcement.

Rangers has announced its plans to host exhibition matches and restructure, and reapply to the regional leagues next season. McCulloch will be joined by several youth players - including standouts Barrie McKay and Lewis Macleod - as well as several experienced players who are still free agents. The hope is that trading on the Rangers name will allow them to build prominence and pay off their debts.

The Rest of the Scottish Clubs

The July-August transfer window has been fairly eventful for the 12 clubs in the Premier League.

Celtic, now unrivalled in financial dominance in the league, signed the impressive Fraser Forster from Newcastle United early in the window. Various first team players and fringe players left, however, including the midfield star Ki Sung-yeung (to Swansea) and defender Cha Du-ri (to Fortuna Düsseldorf). With the incoming range of players looking overall rather thin, the transfer deadline day has brought them defender Efe Ambrose, as well as Venezuelan striker Miku on loan. Niall McGinn and Mo Yaqub have left to join fellow Scottish clubs, Aberdeen and St. Mirren respectively.

Hearts saw their top scorer and Scottish Cup Hero last season, Rudi Skácel, leave, as they struggled with financial difficulties of their own, whilst St. Johnstone brought in Gregory Tadé, Nigel Hasselbaink, and Peter Pawlett (loan) from fellow Premier League clubs. Aberdeen brought in, along with Niall McGinn, Jonny Hayes from Inverness. Dundee made several signings to cope with a surprise season in the Premiership, including ex-SPL player Davide Grassi.[2]

-----

[1] Leavers are as in OTL. This does not include Gregg Wylde and Mervan Celik, who had already left in March.
[2] Assume that most transfers happened in this window as in OTL, except for players going to Rangers.​

Can you tell I have no idea what I'm doing in terms of writing yet? Next update will be a brief detour for how the Scottish clubs in Europe this season did.

Ramontxo

Donor
For both the Truthful Panda and for the Aesthetic Acid thanks a lot for the theaching. Having being a Football fan since always have heard of this proposal before. You always learn something here

Last edited:
Join the (English) northern premier league. You’d imagine they’d walk their way into league one with consecutive promotions before it got harder. That’s, what, 5 promotions in a row required.

Ramontxo

Donor
By the way being a Basque Nationalist of my age and times means (or used to, life changes) that I am, and will be, an Liverpool and Celtic fan.
I was lucky enough to pass six summers in liverpool in the seventys with a Scots Calvinist family, I will always love (but havent been in contact for years) Sorry for the interruptiom

I'm a Celtic fan, and I know how the board operates. Unrivaled dominance means a reduction in spending, with Celtic not attempting to really do better in Europe. The presence of Rangers could motovate the board to spend some money on better players. Now, that's gone.

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
Join the (English) northern premier league. You’d imagine they’d walk their way into league one with consecutive promotions before it got harder. That’s, what, 5 promotions in a row required.
Not possible. Besides the EFL/Sky TV not wanting the Old Firm, UEFA is almost certain to squash such a deal. It very, very rarely allows clubs to play in other countries.

For both the Truthful Panda and for the Aesthetic Acid thanks a lot for the theaching. Having being a Football fan since always have heard of this proposal before. You always learn something here
I spent quite some time on the pieandbovril forum - hence I'm not totally ignorant about "fitba" :)

BTW - Sevco could spend a season in the Juniors. The Juniors are an interesting oddball feature of Scottish Football. Too long to describe here, simply google for the wiki.
Heck, the structure of Scottish Football is one big oddball mess :) - there are four organisations running it more or less in parallel. And I'm not even counting leagues like the SPFL, Highland, Lowland, South of Scotland ...

I'm a Celtic fan, and I know how the board operates. Unrivaled dominance means a reduction in spending, with Celtic not attempting to really do better in Europe. The presence of Rangers could motovate the board to spend some money on better players. Now, that's gone.

Didn’t Celtic have one of their best European runs when Sevco where in the third division?

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
Didn’t Celtic have one of their best European runs when Sevco where in the third division?
A case could be made that this was in large part a team assembled for a fight for the title against the now defunct Rangers.
However, IMO the corelation between domestic and European success is close to nil - a "title decided on final day" race era Celtic was pumped 5:0 by a Slovak outfit ...

A case could be made that this was in large part a team assembled for a fight for the title against the now defunct Rangers.
However, IMO the corelation between domestic and European success is close to nil - a "title decided on final day" race era Celtic was pumped 5:0 by a Slovak outfit ...
This. And IMO, the transfer dealings of Neil Lennon were superb, defense wise. Which is very important for European games. We now have Rodgers at the helm, who neglects the defense, whereas Lennon paid it due attention.

Next update will be a brief detour for how the Scottish clubs in Europe this season did.​

Here’s hoping the butterflies lead to a better Motherwell run in the Champion’s League. Not winning the tournament of course but at least the semi-finals!

Last edited:
Didn’t he sign Efe Ambrose?

I always think of "Efe Ambrose" as "Iffy Ambrose" , since I could never guess which version would show up. I see the same thing since he moved to Hibbs....strangely enough after Neil Lennon is at the helm.