"Our Struggle": What If Hitler Had Been a Communist?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by The Red, Nov 8, 2016.

1. FickleCrossroad In an Urban Society, Everything Connects.

In a totalitarian state, the concept of not being willing to sacrifice all for the state because of a pre-existing belief system is too dangerous to ignore. If anything, pacifism is a threat.

2. MernStahl This will never happen

I wonder if the DAR will get the bomb (and if they do, before the Anglo-Americans). The Germans had lots of good physicists and certainly plenty who might sympathetic to communism but I'm not sure how comfortable, on the whole, they would be with the new regime - a lot of them were middle class and the German science movement was more conservative back then, in some ways. And Hitler might pay more attention to the grounds fighting than more theoretically minded stuff as well.

This is assuming they aren't purged or flee in any civil war or anything.

It's the same issue with the Reichswehr officer corps I guess - The Red has kept a lid on what happens to the superb German officer class, given many of them disliked communism but were incredibly important for Germany's success OTL.

I await with baited breath!

3. BootOnFace Buoyant Armiger

Well when it came down to it, the Soviet Union ended up patronizing the Orthodox Church in WWII to get more people to fight Germany. If it's a war of survival, then I bet this Hitler would rather be practical than go full Cultural Revolution during a war.

4. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

Well Hitler committed a genocide aganst the Jewish people when he should of been spending the cash on trying to fight off the massive beheamoth that is Russia. What's to stop him from putting Ideolgy over commonsense in this tl?

Lenwe likes this.
  5. BootOnFace Buoyant Armiger

Because this is a different, far more competent Hitler. He's shown a lot of practicality and flexibility in this TL.

Aloha, Cregan, Bookmark1995 and 6 others like this.
  6. Indicus Stuff

Torontum, Ontarium Minor, Imperium Romanum
    Yeah. I suspect he would, while being somewhat anti-clerical to satisfy his supporters, at least be ambivalent to Christianity.

Cregan, rjd1997 and The Red like this.
  7. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

Well, the different between this Hitler and OTL Hitler is that OTL Hitler, despite whining about his oppression, was coddled by the German establishment.

Hitler isn't being coddled, which means he may need to develop the skills to be a leader.

On the other hand, Mao may have been a competent militant, but he was shitty at everything. So being a competent usurper does not equal competence in governance.

8. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

I don't think that participating in non-violent direct action or a peace march would be particularly good idea for a German citizen's health but the DAR doesn't quite believe in thoughtcrime either. I'm aiming for nuance here but I don't want to spoil too much, although I might do another sneak peak into the future soon.

9. rjd1997 Well-Known Member

Was Mao a competent militant? I was under the impression he was just good at political maneuvering/backstabbing and getting people to follow him.

10. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

Hell, he was able to push the nationalists off of the mainland.

Again, good guerilla, but a bad administrator.

11. Cregan Well-Known Member

Mao basically wrote the book on modern guerrilla warfare. Whatever his many other despotic faults, the man was an excellent military commander.

12. ASDFG56 Proud veteran of Blackbeard and Pittsburgh.

He was also quite the poet as well.

Awesome stuff by the way Red. You've done the unthinkable and made me sympathize with Hitler. At this point, you're probably my favorite writer in this site with zepplinair and his Asian TLs at a close second.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  13. BootOnFace Buoyant Armiger

He literally wrote the book on modern guerilla warfare. It's called On Guerilla Warfare. There's also another book by him on guerrilla warfare called On Protracted War.

14. GDIS Pathe Well-Known Member

An anti-science genocidal dictatorship with control Europe fights the rest of the world into a stalemate despite not possessing nuclear weapons and having declared entire fields of science as "jewish"? Colour me doubtful

15. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

Thanks so much! That's really made my day. :happyblush

Admittedly I'm still a bit perplexed by the nature of the "sympathetic Hitler" viewpoint that's arisen but I've heard some very well considered takes on it and it's always uplifting to know that people put so much thought into something I've written.

16. Tanner151 War Commander

Hey, The Red, I just purchased the Red Führer and am so far loving it. Great stuff!

The Red and Aloha like this.
  17. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

I mean, it would be far easier to code the TL as an Axis wank if anything. The intent was explicitly stated as a means of getting the Nazis to exist long enough to carry out Generalplan Ost, hence you have the Soviets acting so self-destructively as to consciously lose the war, the Luftwaffe getting its house in order miraculously fast and the Allies not immediately dropping The Bomb and not even doing so when they have a large enough stockpile to knock out Germany in the one go. I don’t see how people can be annoyed that the Nazis lose eventually when they’re given such implausible levels of luck to begin with.

18. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

Thanks! I hope you continue to enjoy it. :extremelyhappy:

Tanner151 likes this.
  19. Arcvalons The internationale unites the world in song.

This timeline make me think of another premise, "What if Hitler had been a(n economic) Liberal", but it sounds boring.

The Red likes this.
  20. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

I think it’s an interesting idea and could go in many different directions. My main question would be “How?” but that question’s integral to this TL as well and I’d like to see how a “Liberal Hitler” story would go about it.