"Our Struggle": What If Hitler Had Been a Communist?

Chapter LXXX
The only firm gain in a revolution is that which has been won by the mass of the proletariat. The only gain worth recording is that which really has been firmly won.

~ Vladimir Lenin, Won and Recorded

1591280452589.png

The stillness and cover granted by the large Hameler Wald forest brought a great relief to Peter, having fallen back into the woods with so many others after the disastrous rout that had unfolded in their failed assault on Lehrte. The concrete, the metal armour, the death, and the stench of human flesh all felt far away amongst the trees. Being here, sat upon an old stump, he felt a oneness with nature, as if he were wrapped in Gaia’s arms, protected from the horrific images he had just witnessed.

Or perhaps it had been the morphine the medic had administered to him before removing the bullet fragment from his arm.

Peter took a glug of water from his canteen, and poured the remaining contents over his head in an attempt to shake off the grogginess of the drug. Standing up to refill it from a nearby steam he felt more confident on his feet but also became aware of his friend Klaus arguing with some others nearby.

“Why did you call the retreat? We were making progress until you broke us off like that!” A private exclaimed bitterly, apparently uncaring about Klaus’ superior rank.
“We were getting massacred out there because we didn’t know what we were up against, so I got some of us out of there whilst we were still alive.”

Those grouped around them watched on distastefully, some of them wary of Klaus’ rank, others bitter about the retreat, some wallowing in defeat, others angry that they had retreated at all.

“It was our duty to go in if the main infantry attack faced serious resistance and we were carrying that out,” The private, clearly in the latter camp, protested, “we were pinned down its true, but the communists were arrested in pinning us down

“You will address me by my rank, private.”

“I respected your rank and look where that got us, your rank doesn’t mean shit any longer. It’s all gone to hell.” The private spat on the ground, and stormed off, there were many other groups in the forest after all. The rest of the division had been forced into a chaotic rout when the forces defending Lehrte had gone on to the advance.

“He’s right, in a way, it is clearly over for us.” Klaus mused to no-one in particular.

“Don’t say that,” A corporal urged reassuringly, “we can regroup, head back to our lines, fight another day.”

“No, it’s not just our defeat here it’s this entire situation.”

Klaus spoke on and louder, more disorientated soldiers gathered around him.

“I don’t know about any of you but what we were up against in that town, that strength, that unity, that’s what Germany needs. I’m finished fighting for the Junkers and the Krupps and the Kaiser,” he took off the remains of his officer's coat, “I’m joining the future.”

Klaus began to walk away and Peter followed, he had no idea how he could talk his friend out of this but this was too far. Surely?

“That’s desertion.” One of the group called back.

The click of loaded weaponry stopped them back in their tracks, Klaus froze but Peter instinctively swung round and drew his sidearm, before he could process what he was actually doing.

“Those who wish to leave are allowed to leave,” he declared somewhat hesitantly. His hand was shaking but those with their rifles pointed at the two of them took a step back. Slowly Klaus turned to his side and began to walk away, trying to keep his eye on the rifles, Peter now did the same, his own gun fixed on the shocked troops, until they blurred in amongst the rows of trees.

They were safe, for the moment, but their bridges were burned.

“What exactly are we supposed to do now?” Peter asked angrily, the question was meant to sound rhetorical but he was genuinely curious to see if Klaus had any sort of plan.

“Well, we need to make sure we aren’t being followed, and then we try and avoid bumping into any other Reichswehr personnel in this forest. Then, if we can get out whilst achieving both of those things, we go back to Lehrte and tell them we were in the Soviet Union for the last year and during that time we were recruited by Soviet military intelligence and now want to defect.”

“Does such a thing even exist?”

“Does it matter? Hitler broke with Stalin before all this started; they'll hardly be able to double-check and at any rate we do know things about the Reichswehr’s plans. Enough to get us a hearing at least. We don’t exactly have a large number of other options.”

“We could ditch our uniforms, lie low until this all blows over. You’re already halfway there.” Klaus laughed at the state of his own burnt clothing, not much more intact than his coat had been.

“That will be the plan of a good number of those back there,” Klaus theorised out loud, “but the Communists will be looking out for that and if we were to be found out later whilst doing so, well, remember what Marx said, “We shall not make excuses for the terror”. We’d be better getting ahead on that.”

“Or putting our heads in the lion's mouth…”

Klaus shrugged whilst they continued to wander through the woods until they found a clearing directing them back towards Lehrte. Some smoke was still billowing from the town but there were now figures sprawling the outskirts, perhaps looking for scattered Reichswehr elements such as themselves. They grew nearer and Peter felt his stomach turn much as it had done before the beginning of the battle.

“Hold up your hands,” Klaus urged under his breath before breaking into a smile at the venomous faces of the People’s Guard patrol before he cleared his throat.

“The world is one of an ever present struggle, our struggle.”

---

“In the midst of the mighty struggle for the freedom and future of the German worker, I am speaking to all Germans who resist tyranny to announce once again: victory. The grounds for it are: to give all German people insight into the tribulation we have lived through; to express our thanks to the deserving workers and sailors; and to direct, once again a call to resist.

We have seen the losses, individually surely heavy, which the People’s Guard has suffered in battle within the past three months. When you consider that, within this time, we have erected a front which reaches from the Rhineland to Saxony, then the sacrifice has not been in vain. The fascist tyrants have been driven back wherever they have attempted to break the solidarity of the German worker, united, and free.

We are now on the offensive. The coming battles-”

Gerda Muller stepped out of the silent room of the Radio Einheitsfront recording studio, where Adolf Hitler was finally making his speech. This was the third take and if she thought it was coming across as too phlegmatic still. Hitler would undoubtedly be demanding a fourth as well. Such were the demands of keeping the Social Democrats happy, alongside the need to give due reverence to what had occurred; large parts of Hamburg’s docks and the surrounding area were still smouldering. From the window she could see that even those buildings and streets untouched by the blasts were covered in ash. The random craters caused by the naval artillery had crippled the city’s water supplies in an ironic twist. The deaths were in the thousands.

She wondered if a victorious speech was what the people of Hamburg wanted to hear, she certainly didn’t, but the outside world had to know what had gone on and if it might do some good in that regard then they should use every means at their disposal to broadcast it. She turned from the window, trying to get the ash out of her own hair and flinched at the sight of a Reichsmarine sailor walking through the corridor. Her heart stopped before she saw the People’s Guard men behind her pushing him forward with stahlrutes.

Following the men curiously she saw Goebbels grinning impishly at the head of the procession, leading the captured sailor down towards one of the empty recording studios like the pied piper. The man never grew tired of ingratiating Hitler, so this must have been something important if it meant missing the third take of the General Secretary’s triumphant speech.

The sailor was lowered down gently onto a seat by the microphone, staring ahead of himself silently. At least he seemed to be staring, his eyes were too swollen to really make out properly, his face had been beaten black and blue, ironically the swollen pieces being the ones that weren’t still covered in ash. The sailor flinched as Goebbels handed him a script and whispered something to him that was unintelligible outside of the booth. The sailor acknowledged whatever it was with a barely discernible nod and soon after began reading.

“My name is Paul Wennecker, chief artillery officer of the battleship SMS Schleswig-Holstein. I was ordered to shell workers and civilians in Hamburg, whether men, women or children. This was the order given by the would-be dictator Von Schleicher and the would-be Kaiser Hohenzollern and I followed it of my own free will. I now must come to terms with my crimes but I implore all fellow men of the Reichswehr and Reichsmarine not to be used in the way in which I was.

Lay down your arms and desert, return to your homes and families. In spite of my crimes I and my fellow sailors are being well treated for the United Front seeks no reprisals, only an end to the fascist tyranny which the would-be Duce and would-be Kaiser have attempted to impose on Germany. Return to your homes and families now and this nightmare will be over all the sooner.”

The recording broke off, just as Hennecker began to sob into the still audible microphone. His voice had sounded pained, perhaps his vocal cords had been damaged in escaping the fire but now his crying sounded like a low shriek. Thankfully the microphone was also cut-off at that moment.

Gerda continued to examine the man, now soundlessly weeping in the booth. It looked like the man might rather be dead, brought so low by the defeat and his subsequent capture he would be reduced to parroting the enemy’s line. She realised at that moment that she had been in the crosshairs of these people for too long to feel any sympathy for them but, up close, it was clear they were still human.

Fascists of course, but human at some level.

What if they could be reclaimed?

---

The painting is Night-time encounter with a madman by Otto Dix

It may be time to start thinking about administrative divisions. Will all the substates be abolished in favor of Gaue, making the DAR (on paper) less federal than the USSR? Does this maybe become (one of) the issues the Social Democrats and Ruralites take up in opposition to the Communists?

It may be time to start thinking about administrative divisions. Will all the substates be abolished in favor of Gaue, making the DAR (on paper) less federal than the USSR? Does this maybe become (one of) the issues the Social Democrats and Ruralites take up in opposition to the Communists?

I could see Germany ending up closer to the RFSFR than to the USSR. There's no large minority needing its own republic left within its borders.

Another thing to discuss... Is there anything analogous to the soviets building up, or is all the action going through the political parties, and potentially trade unions? I could see them settling for a more traditional parliamentary structure in the absence of similar organs.

I could see Germany ending up closer to the RFSFR than to the USSR. There's no large minority needing its own republic left within its borders.

Another thing to discuss... Is there anything analogous to the soviets building up, or is all the action going through the political parties, and potentially trade unions? I could see them settling for a more traditional parliamentary structure in the absence of similar organs.

Saxony seems to have been left to fend for itself; continuing the revolution in the east could involve some divergences from the Hamburg model, whatever that model ends up being. And Saxony has enough existing regionalist sentiment for a postwar reform of their local revolutionary structures (which they have maintained on Berlin's doorstep, while fending off Bavaria+Austrian and Italian aid on another front) to be... taken the wrong way.

Last edited:

If they do set up a parliament, I suspect it will be a parliament looking like this—
1591289692214.png

I don't think the Social Democrats are going to last very long once the German Civil War has ended.

If they do set up a parliament, I suspect it will be a parliament looking like this—

I don't think the Social Democrats are going to last very long once the German Civil War has ended.

Eh I think people are influenced by their opinion of Hitler OTL.

If you look at Russia, the Bolsheviks initially had quite a few (smaller) non Bolshevik groups trailing along. They didn't really turn away from a pluralism that could make room for allies until the left SR revolt and assassination attempts over Brest Litovsk. Here, it's working pretty well so far and the social democrats are in a much better position thanks to being a full party rather than leftist breakaways from anti revolution parties.

There's also a lot of competing worker organizations in Germany with trade unions. And it's a country with a much more developed proletariat than Russia so I don't envision things going on the same track.

Eh I think people are influenced by their opinion of Hitler OTL.
It's less that and more being influenced by the future snippets the author has given us to show how the DAR will turn out. We know it's going to be a country with a "Volksführer" and forced labour camps for political dissidents. Now, it's not impossible that those things will coexist with genuinely multi-option democratic elections. But they usually don't.

It's less that and more being influenced by the future snippets the author has given us to show how the DAR will turn out. We know it's going to be a country with a "Volksführer" and forced labour camps for political dissidents. Now, it's not impossible that those things will coexist with genuinely multi-option democratic elections. But they usually don't.

Eh you could say today's US has forced labour camp for dissidents considering how it runs its prisons and how it cracks down on activists. x'D

You could also say the US isn't genuinely multi-option democracy of course, so you may have a point.

Please don't regard this as being negative, constructive criticism is always wecome and appreciated. It's not a matter of you being dull either, your posts are always very perceptive, it's my fault if the narrative is too vague. Basically the United Front have loaded the docks with ships, including the yacht, filled them with explosives and flammable materials and then blown them up. The chain of so many explosions was meant to make it impossible for the Reichsmarine to land and this worked even if they had already partially landed by the time it was ready to go but as you say, it also means blowing up your own city centre.
That's what I assumed they did when I read it - although I can see how some people would get confused.

In any case, I've been loving these new updates; very interesting to see the German civil war unfold. I guess the German Worker's Republic is going to have even less naval capability (at least in terms of surface ships) than OTL's Third Reich, with the destruction of such a significant part of the Reichsmarine.

I think I may have missed something in this timeline though - OTL, the Kronprinz Wilhelm was scuttled in 1919 along with the rest of the High Seas Fleet. Did this scuttling not happen ITTL? I probably just forgot (curse my terrible memory), since it's been a while since I read the earlier parts of the timeline.
edit: my bad - I had somehow gotten confused between the Schleswig-Holstein and the Kronprinz Wilhelm. Should have reread the post before I asked my question, lol. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
“The world is one of an ever present struggle, our struggle.”
You see kids, reading does come in handy. :) It can literally save lives! I see that his secret read through of Hitler's book has saved his life. I suspect we will see him later in the armed forces for Red Germany.

I think Hitler will initially allow the political parties that make up the United Front to form their own political blocks in the new People's Parliament. But these parties will later be subverted and will have little power compared to the Communist Party. Most likely similar to the past and current situation regarding multiple parties in the People's Republic of China. There are several official parties in the PRC but they hold no effective power at the national level.

I think Hitler will initially allow the political parties that make up the United Front to form their own political blocks in the new People's Parliament. But these parties will later be subverted and will have little power compared to the Communist Party. Most likely similar to the past and current situation regarding multiple parties in the People's Republic of China. There are several official parties in the PRC but they hold no effective power at the national level.

Could also be like the USSR, where there's technically democratic institutions but they're not where the power is so they're mostly for show and everything happens inside the party.

Chapter LXXXI
The world crisis is still in its first stage, the process of disintegration has only begun. The farther this process advances, the more must the terrorism against the workers be sharpened. But this terrorism serves for their political education. In the course of development, fascism will be compelled to destroy its own organizations; nature sets a limit even to the greatest joy in thralldom. Famishing fascists cease to be fascists. Resignation kills individuals, but not classes.

~ Paul Mattick, The Future of the German Labour Movement

1591517101864.png

The studio executives office was large but the gathering of so many people within it had made it a claustrophobic and stuffy experience. It would have been worse if it weren’t for the dark December night outside. One person received the gathering’s attention, he who had extra space behind the executive's desk and one of the few chairs in the room, playing with a radio nestled around several awards that didn’t belong to him.

“This is the voice of free Germany, bringing you the news from the fronts in the fight against tyranny.

After several weeks of fighting, Leipzig has been liberated and its workers and citizens now celebrate. Earlier this morning the fascist forces were driven from the eastern outskirts of the city in flight at the victorious march of the People’s Guard whose troops comprise many of the city’s inhabitants. From Hamburg, Chief of the Workers and Citizens Defence Council Hans Kahle announced that the final victory in Leipzig belonged to its people, much as the final victory over the tyranny of the so-called Third Reich shall soo-”

The bullish, defiant declarations were brought to an end by the Crown Prince turning off the radio, leaving a troubled silence amongst his would-be court.
“That message, gentlemen, has been playing hourly since this afternoon.”

“Surely we can’t trust Bolshevik propaganda, Excellency?” Hermann Goering spluttered.

“I’ve been listening to the Bolsheviks in Hamburg for some weeks now Goering, and though they dress everything up they’ve never lied about a specific military matter. Neither does Von Schleicher I suppose, he merely keeps us in the dark.”

“The Chancellor certainly does seem to have retreated into his own world lately,” Mused Alfred Von Hugenburg, who owned the Babelsberg film studio in which this meeting of minds was now gathered. Hugenburg’s German National People’s Party had been more tangentially involved in Von Schleicher’s coup than the Crown Prince and his Volkisch Bund but their Stahlhelm militia had fought alongside the Blackshirts in pacifying the Marxist parties all the same. With all filming at the studios postponed amidst the ongoing conflict the studio made a handy barracks for both parties and a place on the outskirts of Berlin for the party leaders to meet away from prying eyes.

“Perhaps we help remind him of the promises he made to our parties,” Goering grumbled frustratedly, rubbing his fingers over the scars of his previously burst knuckles, “liven up the streets a bit like we did in the Summer, show him we’re still here and we mean business.”

“No we tried the show of strength approach before and it only caused Von Schleicher to try and curry favour with the foreign embassies and pursue quick victory strategies. And where has that gotten our cause? The Reicshmarine devastated, our enemy consolidated and strengthened, he burned the best Reichswehr divisions in trying to regain control of our railways and wherever they were victorious they had to retreat due to these new enemy advances!”

The Crown Prince smacked the radio sending it flying off the desk.The assorted figures gathered around the desk flinched to avoid the lumpy box flying onto the floor. He was breathing heavily and saw the alarm caused by his lack of restraint, even in the faces of his adherents.

He closed his eyes and controlled his breathing, repeating a mantra to himself internally.

Calm, composed, regal.

He opened his eyes again.

“It is increasingly clear to me,” He went on, his usual tranquil manner having returned, “that Von Schleicher never intended to make me anything more than a figurehead and he likely would have dispensed with the Volkisch Bund altogether in order to appease the progressive and Jewish elements. At any rate he is now leading us down to the road to defeat. By sticking with him we are rallying our banners to a lost cause.”

“It is a grim picture you paint, excellency.” Goering's gaunt face sulked, his sharp features now casting shadows.

“Yes but one of opportunity,” The Crown Prince now beamed, “we have word that Von Schleicher is preparing to send the majority of Reichswehr troops stationed in Berlin out of the city to help shore up the disintegrating front in Thuringia. I have told him we will gather our own Blackshirts so they can also be deployed as auxiliary units to hold the line. We can use these activities to mask a consolidation of our forces and then march on Berlin after there is only a skeleton force left to oppose us. I will then declare my accession to the throne and you men shall at last join me in saving Germany.”

“But Von Schleicher already suspects you are plotting against him.” Hugenberg argued. The Crown Prince shuddered at the thought, perhaps the theatrics outside of the Reichstag hadn’t been a good idea, “Surely he wouldn’t allow such a force to march anywhere other than where he expressly wants it to go?”

“That is correct Hugenberg but consider this; he genuinely believes the Reichswehr is the basis for the Germany he wants to build and the Volkisch Bund units must be under Reichswehr control and supervision. But Von Schleicher does not micromanage the institution he adores like he perhaps should have. For he is not the only Reichswehr man I chose to rely upon.”

The Crown Prince looked through the gathering.

“Isn’t that correct Generalmajor Waegner?”

Generalmajor Otto Waegner emerged from the crowd of blackshirts in civilian dress but with an equally determined look on his face.

“You are at my Command excellency, as it was with your father. I can assure you that you can rely on the support of many within the Black Reichswehr.”

For the last decade the Black Reichswehr had been the trick up the German sleeve, a secret army that circumvented the limitations imposed on Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. It was almost three times as large as the official number of Reichswehr troops and had finally been unleashed in the opening stages of the civil war. It officially did not exist but its size had made it hard to keep hidden and so it had remained an open secret amongst the German establishment with the acknowledgement that any journalist or left-wing politician who called too much attention to it in public would be made an example of to anyone else thinking about changing the status quo. This secrecy and subterfuge had helped the organisation to maintain the reactionary fervour of its Freikorps forebears and Waegner was an excellent testament to that. He had drifted away from the drunken brawling of the original Volkisch Bund to pursue real change in the Black Reichswehr and now he was perfectly placed to facilitate such action. The Crown Prince didn’t have much time for the man’s bizarre economic theories but he knew he could count on his loyalty.

“The Generalmajor can arrange himself to be responsible for the transfer, the Black Reichswehr was always an ugly secret even to those who held it dearly. Von Schleicher doesn’t suspect him and will leave the matter in his hands. He will lead our march into Berlin alongside Chancellor Goering and myself. Of course I shall need a Minister President of the Prussian state, Hugenberg, and if you accept you will march at my side also.”

Hugenberg did not immediately react, he was a businessman and used to such negotiations.

“It is not just a matter of my loyalty excellency, even if you were to secure Berlin, the Stahlhelm and your Blackshirts cannot defeat the People’s Guard and the Reichswehr on their own. Even if we presume the Generalmajor can bring the Black Reichswehr over to our side, I can’t help but fear this plan leaves Von Schleicher and ourselves weakening each other with the Bolsheviks slaughtering whichever of us is left.”

The Crown Prince disdained Hugenberg's cynicism but it was to be expected, such men loved only money and though they might mould their politics to suit it, at the end of the day they believed in nothing other than what they could see in their balance book. Of course the plan seemed a suicidal move to such a man but vanity, vanity was universal. And who better to manipulate a man’s vanity than a royal?

“Your loyalty is paramount!” The Crown Prince exclaimed jovillay. “My father caused much consternation when he first became Emperor but he resolved that with three letters. One each to the army and the navy and one to the Prussian people. Now Hugenberg, your media empire, if I can update those letters to the Reichswehr and Reichsmarine, and the German people, we can carry out the same effect. Wouldn’t that be correct? I don’t have much understanding of these matters, only that you and your peers would be capable of such a thing.”

The media mogul smiled at the thought.

“Well the logistics of such an operation would be difficult but, then again, we wouldn’t have Von Schleicher to constrain us at the very least.” Hugenberg thought out loud, “with all my resources I suppose it could convince the Reichswehr to come over en masse to us. Perhaps even gain us some funding from monarchists and conservatives who have erstwhile been wary of Von Schleicher’s rule. However-”

The plea to the main’s ego was working, the Crown Prince wouldn’t allow it to slip now.

“We have no other choice, Hugenberg, this is our only option now. We need the Stahlhelm to stand with us and we need your media control. If you think it is doable then you are indeed essential and the decision rests in your hands. Will you see us defeated? Led astray by Von Schleicher and eventually delivered up to the Bolsheviks and their fellow tribespeople? Or will you let your belief and love of your nation guide you? For what it once was, and what it can be again, what say you Hugenberg?”

The portly man raised himself out of the disgustingly modernist Wassily chair and raised his right hand towards the darkened sky.

“Hoch der Kaiser!”

The men gathered around him followed.

“Hoch! Hoch! Hoch!”

The Crown Prince sat back and revelled in the moment. The court was established and all his at last.

“Gentlemen, the time has come to put heaven and hell in motion.”

---

The photomontage is War and corpses - The last hope of the rich by John Heartfield

Last edited:
This TL just keeps getting better and better, the last couple of chapters had some good combat action in them but this last chapter with behind the scenes plotting and scheming is just as thrilling and intriguing. :cool:

Amazing. When they're staring in the face of Communist!Hitler, this is clearly the right time for intrigue, infighting and petty power-plays. Of course. What could possibly go wrong for them?

Even with a German red army bearing down on them, the various different flavours of the hard right are still going Full "Judaean People's Front".

Amazing. When they're staring in the face of Communist!Hitler, this is clearly the right time for intrigue, infighting and petty power-plays. Of course. What could possibly go wrong for them?

Even with a German red army bearing down on them, the various different flavours of the hard right are still going Full "Judaean People's Front".
No they're going full "People's Front of Judea"!

Babelsberg film studio
The world's first permanent film studio, or at least the first to continue operate as such.
I can assure you many in the Black Reichswehr have your support
I think this is a bit back to front.
The Crown Prince didn’t have much time for the man’s bizarre economic theories but he knew he could count on his loyalty.
Corporatism, IIRC. At least he'd actually studied economics.

Well, looks that the reactionary faction has started to fight each other. I wonder if Otto Strasser is hanging out with Hitler.