@Wolf-Salami I agree with forming a "Drugs & Medicine Division" would help tremendously with* how specific which drugs should be legal and illegal as to make sure none of the criminals gain a foothold and the like.

I could see Almaty gaining more recognition from tourism as well, maybe if we created* a Eurasian tourism organization between every member, they would get a tremendous boost of income and popularity from foreigners that wants to escape the growing hassle from their home nation.

Last edited:
Since I want the airships to stay around, we should make sure the Hindenburg from crashing so we should do a German-Soviet airship industry by making better machinery and piping that can handle hydrogen from leaking.

I don't thing it would ever crash TTL, or at least not as severe if Germany isn't embargoed fro mcertain materials, and also cooperates with us in AIrship building. I only doubt it would be named Hidnenbrug TTL, most likely rather named Luxemburg, Liebknecht or Thälmann.

I don't thing it would ever crash TTL, or at least not as severe if Germany isn't embargoed fro mcertain materials, and also cooperates with us in AIrship building. I only doubt it would be named Hidnenbrug TTL, most likely rather named Luxemburg, Liebknecht or Thälmann.
True but should still develop better machineries and piping for the airships once we have better technologies and materials so it stays relevant.

Russia does have fairly large Helium reserves. Although I haven't found when Helium extraction started IOTL.
Seeing how most of it comes from Siberia I would argue most of that extraction and industry is rather recent. At the same time we have Russian physicist Pyotr Leonidovich Kapitsa discovering in 1937 to 1938 that helium-4 has almost no viscosity at temperatures near absolute zero, a phenomenon now called superfluidity. The global Helium production charts however don't show Russia until the 1970ies/ 1980ies, indicating that around that time overall Russian production and exports have at least officially started.

I'm not super positive of the specifics of what late 1920s views of coke and heroin are; but if they are still seen as a form of medicine then they should be treated as such, with drug addicts / addiction seen as a societal / medical issue rather than a straight forward criminal issue as this means that people are more likely to seek help as they wouldn't fear the punishment and shame other wise.
Cocaine was a very useful local anaesthetic and heroin is used in pain control and is still used in Europe for this for people with terminal cancer.
Also, I feel that in the same way that the old imperial Russian state rose money and an international profile through its state run vodka distilleries, we should do the same with Marijuana farms, after all, why should it only be Kulaks that rake in the profits?
As everyone in the soviet union had their own dacha they could grow their own weed without the need to buy it for farmers.
Also, if I may add another suggestion for a city to advertise, I suggest Almaty.
Samarkand could make a good tourist spot or the silk road in general.

Windows95

Banned
Plus, with having a marijuana economy, you also have an economy of growing hemp, to be used for alternatives to concrete and textiles, especially given Russia's environment makes it hard to breed sheep and wool.

Plus, with having a marijuana economy, you also have an economy of growing hemp, to be used for alternatives to concrete and textiles, especially given Russia's environment makes it hard to breed sheep and wool.
Hemp was produced in the Russian Empire and the soviet union on a large-scale OTL.
Hemp seed is a useful by product for human and animal food.

Last edited:
We should have a few sectors for each SSRs that mainly focus on growing marijuana/weed as it'll help keep growing food stuff while also the recreational/clothing materials.

Opinions on some points gleamed from new (to me) messages.

re: RPGs
One pretty vital detail is that the USSR of OTL was much more favorable to science fiction than fantasy. When Zinaida Bobyr made the very first Russian translation of Lord of the Rings into Russian in 1966, she added a framing device featuring characters lifted directly from Stanisław Lem's Eden where the alien "ring" artefact was studied and concluded to be some sort of a device that contained information from a different civilisation. This framing included a letter allegedly written by Tolkien and another Tolkien allegedly received from his friend who worked at "Problem Research Institute in Derbyshire." The translation wasn't published even in that way, as the book was thought of as "anti-Soviet". (Russian magazine Mir Fantastiki offers a thorough article on Bobyr's translation, including the framing parts she wrote that had not been published anywhere until this point; link in Russian).

Science fiction, meanwhile, was widely published and promoted, with USSR being one of the few places which downplay the "sci-fi ghetto" trope. The works of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells were very popular in the USSR. Yakov Perelman, writer of popular science books that have always been selling very well and still can be found in bookstores, had dedicated some of his work to the idea of space flight long before it was realized, and it was also a part of the House of Entertaining Science that was his concept (Russian Wikipedia article; it's called a museum there, but, judging from Grigoriy Mishkevich's biography of Perelman, it was much more interactive than your usual museum of the time).

So, maybe that's the direction you could go in? It'd certainly be unusual.

re: hemp
Russia has a long history with hemp, actually. Hemp is very versatile and can be produced into many different things aside from drugs. But if it is made into a legal drug, it could be promoted as an alternative to tobacco, since some studies claim that it's way less damaging to one's health. Imagine Belomorkanal marijuana.

And, hey, as long as the heracleum fiasco does not happen, I'm fine with various agricultural developments.