Status
Not open for further replies.
Well! It's been 2 exciting years so far since I first embarked upon this journey wholesale with a thread. To celebrate this occasion, I have compiled a map of the world as it stood one hundred years ago (and minus 10 days). I do hope this will help ground some of the concepts that guide Our Fair Country more, and as always, feel free to ask questions! I'll respond to earlier questions as well. But most importantly, thank you all for spending these last two years reading, commenting, and enjoying this timeline. On to the next year!

Wait, so was Egypt a true colony of Britain, or was it the nominal province of the Ottoman Empire that in practice was under British rule that it was in OTL?

Freedom Map of the World, January 2020
fBL2eFn.png

Do you mean when you tackle Yugoslavia in autumn? I would love more information on this!

There will be some new information on the conflict by the end of winter, but the full exploration will take some time.

Was Britain ever allied with the USSR during the Cold War?

Nope, Britain was firmly against the USSR the entire conflict. Often allied with France, Portugal, and Italy to preserve European power in Africa, where much of the Cold War was fought.

Wait, so was Egypt a true colony of Britain, or was it the nominal province of the Ottoman Empire that in practice was under British rule that it was in OTL?

Egypt fell under the stewardship of the British, and legally was a British protectorate and an Ottoman province. Similar to how Tunisia and Morocco are coloured French blue, despite retaining their extant monarchies and under French protectorate status.

Lovely Freedom Index map, @Kanan ! I think democracy is generally at least somewhat better off ITTL than in OTL, especially in the Middle East, Asia and parts of Africa?

What's going on in Guyana, Ecuador and Paraguay that leads them to being so low down on the Freedom Index?

Also who rules Kurdistan, and how can it stay so authoritarian in the sea of democracy that is TTLs Middle East? Is it one of the few allies of Israel, or has it allied with the (presumably immensely rich ITTL, too?) Gulf states? And what is up with Indonesia?

And do you have any material or information on Hurueneo? It once was German East Africa as far as I remember - was Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck active there? How did it become a full democracy?

Also who rules Kurdistan, and how can it stay so authoritarian in the sea of democracy that is TTLs Middle East? Is it one of the few allies of Israel, or has it allied with the (presumably immensely rich ITTL, too?) Gulf states? And what is up with Indonesia?

I seem to remember that Kurdistan is an authoritarian communist state in TTL, but I may be wrong.

@Kanan Is Ireland not gonna be part of the AES, because I don't see them in the blue box in the top right corner?

The countries in the Red, Green, and Beige boxes (Zollverein, Europe, Latin Monetary Union) have all signed Olso I to form the AES. The nations listed in the blue box to the right are the ones who have signed on to Oslo II, which is is explained in the bottom portion of the graphic. The nations *NOT* listed in the blue box to the right are the ones who are entered in Oslo I (AES) only, not Oslo II

I'd love to learn more about the Middle East and Korea in this TL. Also Mexico since they've lost a lot more territory than in OTL. I'm honestly surprised they haven't completely collapsed with so much territory lost... Anyways, loving this as always!

It's no doubt different in this world, but in OTL France the signing of treaties and decisions relating to this kind of sovereignty have almost always been associated with the Presidents of the Republic.

Given that in TTL the French president is Asselineau, who in OTL is to French ultra-sovereignism what Alex Jones is to American conspiracism, the signing of this treaty may seem kinda surprising, even if the Cherpion government would support it, there could be a blockage at the presidency level.

How is this treaty globally seen in France? Are there any attempts to block it? What could be the consequences of this signature? How did this get accepted ?

It's no doubt different in this world, but in OTL France the signing of treaties and decisions relating to this kind of sovereignty have almost always been associated with the Presidents of the Republic.

Given that in TTL the French president is Asselineau, who in OTL is to French ultra-sovereignism what Alex Jones is to American conspiracism, the signing of this treaty may seem kinda surprising, even if the Cherpion government would support it, there could be a blockage at the presidency level.

How is this treaty globally seen in France? Are there any attempts to block it? What could be the consequences of this signature? How did this get accepted ?

The France update said that the Post Dictatorship consitution "gave most power to the president of the council of ministers, with the president being a mostly ceremonial post"

Status
Not open for further replies.