Status
Not open for further replies.
While I posted this in the Map Thread, it also should be posted here. This is a map of the United States of America, New England's western neighbour. The United States is a union of 43 states, and shares a colonial history with New England. Her current North American borders have remained unchanged since the end of the Spanish-American War in 1898, where the territories of Cuba and Puerto Rico were captured. Puerto Rico was the last territory to become a state, ascending to the union as the 43rd state on the 1st of August, 1955.
It's so beautiful I genuinely might start crying. :eek:

It's so beautiful I genuinely might start crying. :eek:

Thanks for that! It took... some time. I'm still not really happy with it, because there's a bunch of silly errors I'm seeing now. But it was great training for when I do the New England map. Though I am glad I got the monster that is the United States out of the way.

HPQ2tjN.png

hphsp.jpg

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I love everything about this :D Your map work is seriously amazing!!

I'm glad I (sort of) inspired you to create your own thread.

Seriously though keep this up! I'd be interested to know what OTL UK and Ireland look like? And the Commonwealth.

Last edited:

Thanks! Glad you think so!

I love everything about this.

Glad to hear!

As a New Englander, this brings a tear to my eyes

I'm really happy another New Englander enjoys this and doesn't think it's nuts :p

What's the status of LGBT rights in New England?

New England was the first country in the world to pass a law that legally recognised Same-Sex marriages, which came under the government of Prime Minister Chris Dodd (1990-1993) after the Supreme Court of New England ruled a marriage ceremony held in Provincetown, Plymouth was illegal and void. The government of John Kerry (2001-2005) was the first to have the Ministry of Health and Statistics New England recognise gender reassignment surgery and identification, the former of which is covered under New England's universal healthcare system. There are no laws, nor have there every been any, against restricting any LGBTQ+ New Englander from military service.

While not fully related, New England, like Canada, has never had any restrictions or limitations on abortions, and they are all fully funded by New England's universal healthcare system.

I love everything about this :D Your map work is seriously amazing!!

I'm glad I (sort of) inspired you to creat your own thread.

Seriously though keep this up! I'd be interested to know what OTL UK and Ireland look like? And the Commonwealth.

Thank you! Since getting involved in graphic design, I've really tried with my maps to always improve.

You really did. I started to look through Hail, Britannia and finally decided that Our Fair Country would also benefit from something similar.

XYqsB2h.png

While not nearly as important or powerful as a New England town, New England counties are historical divisions of the provinces of the Commonwealth of New England. Today, the only use that each one sees is as a division of the provincial court system. Only in incorporated regions of the country do counties have any significant amount of power, these being in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. Vermont and New Hampshire have the weakest functional counties, while Victoria County, Adirondack, is the only one with a functioning government in that province. In the southern four provinces of Plymouth, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Long Island, the county governments have been abolished, and all former county duties were taken over by the provincial or municipal governments.

Last edited:
This is fantastic.

...Makes you wonder about the US though, with New England staying with Britain. How did slavery end in America? What's the status of black civil rights in the country? How well-off are Americans compared to New Englanders? Hopefully things aren't too bad but with half the North missing I imagine the Southern planters would dominate American politics for some time longer than OTL.

As a Mainer myself, I unforunately would suggest splitting Maine in two, as it seems realistic in this scenario. If you look at Election Results, Polls, almost anything maine, there is a "ccultural" divide between north/south or Coastal/Inland

While that is true of Maine in reality, this Maine is much different. About 70% of Maine speaks French, and the majority of the English speakers all live near Portland and to the New Hampshire border, meaning not only a cultural divide, but a linguistic one! But there's no real desire to have a new province formed, Maine has been whole for many decades.

How about a wikibox for Brooklyn?

I'll start it soon!

This is fantastic.

...Makes you wonder about the US though, with New England staying with Britain. How did slavery end in America? What's the status of black civil rights in the country? How well-off are Americans compared to New Englanders? Hopefully things aren't too bad but with half the North missing I imagine the Southern planters would dominate American politics for some time longer than OTL.

Stay tuned for a wikibox series on America, it's one of my next largish projects that's not a wikipage. It's going to deal with slavery, the civil war, and the civil rights movement.

As for comparing how well off people are, in general New Englanders are more wealthy, but that's only because southern New England skews the numbers. Places in northern New England are as poor as say Mississippi or Alabama.

This is wonderful! One quibble - per the wikiboxes, Massachusetts Bay, Long Island, and Connecticut are all listed as 2nd in population.

Gah I thought I fixed all those small issues :mad: thanks for pointing it out, I'll fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.