Status
Not open for further replies.
European plurality Rhodesia? That's a lot of ethnic cleansing, I see.

Basically, South Africa was at one time granted temporary control over a bunch of British colonies in the region, and they were... less than pleasant. A string of like-minded governors came into power, and then when South Africa finally went into batshitinsainistan mode, the cleansing stopped across all of southern Africa (except South Africa)

OOC, who is the MP for Needham?

I do not have full access to data at the current moment, but Needham is no longer a town, and is part of the City of Boston. I believe that it is Ward 17 or Ward 18, meaning it would be represented by Maggie Hassan or Dan Cullinane respectively.

Natal, nice.

What exactly is the ethnic groups left over there. Also is South Africa balkanised like Rhodesia?

Because of South Africa's pariah nature, we really aren't sure what ethnic groups are left in that country. The rest of southern Africa is much the same, with a much lower black population. South Africa has the same borders we know today, just Natal is removed. It's about ~75% of KwaZulu Natal today, and is able to connect Lesotho and Swaziland to the outside world.

Nice work, though why is Malta a crown colony?

The British Empire never quite dissolved in this timeline, buoyed by no massive World War II to really ding it, and the fact the Empire was just bigger. There was much less of an appetite to let things go, which is why true African independence didn't happen until the 1970s and 1980s, and the only reason the UK had to give up a bunch of American colonies is because of pressure from the United States prior to the Great War, which was having rallies in support of the Central Powers and several politicians from the Midwest wanting to join in on the side of Germany. The British worked to ease the tensions, granting agreements for more autonomy in the future to American holdings, and to finalise a "Peace with Honour" with the Central Powers. Malta, being at the receiving end of this "Empire will never die" stick, remains a Crown Colony.

Because of South Africa's pariah nature, we really aren't sure what ethnic groups are left in that country. The rest of southern Africa is much the same, with a much lower black population. South Africa has the same borders we know today, just Natal is removed. It's about ~75% of KwaZulu Natal today, and is able to connect Lesotho and Swaziland to the outside world.

What did South Africa do exactly.

Anyway what can you guess? Is it mostly Indian, White, Black, some equal mix of the three?

Also with Australian and British parliamentarians, i'm sure parliament time must be a zoo.

Did Canada retain the monarchy when it left the Commonwealth or did transition into a republic. And is there much of movement within Canada to return to the Commonwealth.

Bulldoggus

Banned
I do not have full access to data at the current moment, but Needham is no longer a town, and is part of the City of Boston. I believe that it is Ward 17 or Ward 18, meaning it would be represented by Maggie Hassan or Dan Cullinane respectively.
Would it be merged with Newton?

What did South Africa do exactly.

Anyway what can you guess? Is it mostly Indian, White, Black, some equal mix of the three?

Also with Australian and British parliamentarians, i'm sure parliament time must be a zoo.

International estimates can guess that the political structure of South Africa allows for Whites, Mixed Race, and Indians to have some form of political power and not face discrimination, so it is believed that these groups constitute the majority of South Africa. Afrikaans is the main language taught and spoken, with English and German an acceptable secondary language, the use of native languages is believed to be forbidden in all matters involving government affairs, and it could potentially be illegal to speak native languages in large groups (i/e a rally), but this is not known.

There's still extreme discrimination and ethnic cleansing of South Africa's native populations. Bantustans are believed to still exist, although with little to no authority and could only exist as a means of gathering forced labour workers. Most international observers agree that outright murder of natives has ceased on a national basis.

Did Canada retain the monarchy when it left the Commonwealth or did transition into a republic. And is there much of movement within Canada to return to the Commonwealth.

Canada has retained the Monarchy. There is little appetite to rejoin the Commonwealth in Canada, due to the continued dislike of the War in Burma. Since the Commonwealth is much stronger than what we know it as, there is a legal requirement for Commonwealth members to send soldiers to Burma in some capacity, while one could just ignore this, both Canada an Nigeria quit the organisation in protest of the War. They both used it as a thread to try and get the Commonwealth Parliament to vote against a resolution supporting the War, but it was to no avail. Canada remains on good terms with the United Kingdom all all other Commonwealth realms otherwise, and is still has observer status, allowing it to participate in such things as the Commonwealth Games.

What's going on in Burma ITTL that makes war there neccecaryily, and why is it so controversial?

I'm working on the wikipage.

Would it be merged with Newton?

Nope, as towns were annexed by the City of Boston, they became neighbourhoods and retained a large amount of legislative and political autonomy. Not as much as a New England town, of course, but still a sizable amount of power. Newton and Needham are separate neighbourhoods.

Commonwealth: Apartheid in South Africa
2PirZGT.png

Apartheid in South Africa is the term used to describe the ongoing conflict in southern Africa that has to do with the Republic of South Africa and its dealings with its neighbours and internal struggles. While the term Apartheid first meant simply the system of racial separation enacted in the country stating in 1948, it has become shorthand for the state-sponsored Ethic Cleansing of southern Africa by South Africa, which began in 1953 with the Xhosa Genocide. The ethnic cleansing spread across South Africa, to which the Natal province put up fierce resistance, with an English-Zulu alliance being formed in the province to resist South Africans. The United Kingdom has been involved since 1951, fighting with South African forces and attempting to maintain control of former colonies. At its maximum extent, South Africa controlled all of Namibia, Natal, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana, Southern Rhodesia, and portions of northern Rhodesia. With the signing of the 1990 Ceasefire, combat operations between South Africa and the Commonwealth has ceased, resulting in the de-facto independence of Namibia, Natal, Lesotho, and Swaziland. Botswana was able to sign a peace treaty with South Africa in 1975, declaring total neutrality in the conflict. The Southern Rhodesia Government-in-Exile still claims authority Rhodesia, which is a bi-racial democracy after the Shona genocide and other state-sponsored ethnic cleansing in the region. South Africa is currently the only nuclear-armed nation in Africa, and has used its nuclear weapons as a deterrent from future invasions, despite widespread condemnation from the international community.

Last edited:
Commonwealth: Commonwealth of Natal
NgmDDQp.png

The Commonwealth of Natal is a country located in southwestern Africa. Natal is the only white-majority country located in Africa, a result of European colonialisation and the ongoing southern Africa conflict, which saw mass ethnic cleansing of the indigenous African population. Natal, once having been a province of South Africa, declared independence, and formed a biracial democracy, to which it gained worldwide recognition and support in their fight against South Africa. Since its inception, Natal has been engaged in conflict with South African-aligned terrorists within its borders, and up to 1990, an open ground war against the Republic of South Africa.

Since the Gaborone Ceasefire was signed in 1990, Natal has seen explosive economic growth, and a return of the Zulu diaspora, accounting for a majority of the nation's population growth. Natal is a bilingual country, with all schools teaching English and Zulu. Despite all of these efforts and holding the traditional Zulu homeland, of the Zulus remaining world wide, Natal only has twenty percent of them. There are nearly twice as many Zulu refugees living in Europe (~2 million) as there are Zulus living in Natal (~1,000,000). Up until 2014, Natal was considered to be in a state of Humanitarian crisis due to the South African conflict, but economic growth, population stablisation, and major reduction of terrorist attacks caused the United Nations to change the country's status to "unstable."

Natal enjoys diplomatic recognition of most states world-wide, only South Africa and their ally Israel do not recognise their independence. South Africa's Province of Natal claims all of the Commonwealth as its territory, along with the historic borders of the province.

Last edited:
Yikes, South Africa sounds like a total nightmare.

It really is. Hitler never rose to power in this timeline, and was never a Holocaust as a result of no Nazism. Thus, Fascism was never actually discredited and condemned on the widescale it is in our timeline. While this doesn't make mass ethnic cleansing more palatable by any means, it does mean a hyper-radicalised South Africa turned out a bit... different... Basically, everything below Congo (Zaire) minus Angola and Mozambique is in some varying degree of humanitarian crisis.

It really is. Hitler never rose to power in this timeline, and was never a Holocaust as a result of no Nazism. Thus, Fascism was never actually discredited and condemned on the widescale it is in our timeline. While this doesn't make mass ethnic cleansing more palatable by any means, it does mean a hyper-radicalised South Africa turned out a bit... different... Basically, everything below Congo (Zaire) minus Angola and Mozambique is in some varying degree of humanitarian crisis.

Can we get a (provincial) map of South Africa itself, including the alt-Bantustans?

Map of Southern Africa - 2018
Can we get a (provincial) map of South Africa itself, including the alt-Bantustans?

WWyOd1Z.png

The Republic of South Africa officially consists of the Cape Province, Transvaal, the Orange Free State, Natal, Bechuanaland, and South West Africa. Of these provinces, the Republic only fully controls Transvaal and the Orange Free State. Bechuanaland is de facto independent as Botswana, South West Africa is de facto independent as Namibia, and most of Natal is independent as the Commonwealth of Natal.

While the status of the "Black homelands" I/E Bantustans are unknown as of 2018, they are believed to still be in operation with some nominal form of self government. It is known that they are host to labour camps, where the Government will contract them for labour across the country, before having them returned to the Bantustan. It is believed that indigenous Africans are not allowed to leave Bantustans without special permission, and doing so is punishable by death. The South African border is patrolled at all times, and it is host to a large border wall.

Last edited:
Technically, so is New Ireland, but they mis-spelt it as "Maine". :p

Also, shouldn't Maine still have all of the area disputed with New Brunswick ITTL, given that the New England colonies stayed with Britain?

I prefer to think of Maine as Maine as *originally intended*, and PEI as New Ireland, considering it was the first proposed one. :p

I'll admit in my eyes I never really mind the OTL Maine border if only because it was a quite-even middle between the extreme claims both ME and NB had.

Status
Not open for further replies.