Status
Not open for further replies.
French and English across New England and Canada
i'm loving the attention to detail & the worldbuilding, keep up the good work!
also; a quick and dirty sketch i made to compare language areas
upload_2018-1-16_21-39-35.png

i'm loving the attention to detail & the worldbuilding, keep up the good work!
also; a quick and dirty sketch i made to compare language areas
View attachment 365764

Thanks, I will try!

That's also perfect! It looks correct to my knowledge, so I'm adding it to the threadmarks as an official part of the Our Fair Country universe. Thanks for making it!

kUaugPT.png

The American Civil War was an event triggered by 13 states (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, West Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Salado, Jefferson, and California) seceding from the United States after President William Seward (1861-1861) began to push for the abolition of slavery in the United States, and outlawing slavery in the Indian Territory. President William Seward was assassinated in 1861 which saw Vice President John McLean take office, only to die shortly after. Newly elected President pro tempore of the United States Senate Abraham Lincoln then took power and attempted for years to keep the Union together amid a mounting secessionist crisis and politics instability.

The secession crisis gripped the south as the House of Representatives voted to outlaw slavery in all remaining U.S. territories, and the Senate agreed to it, with the votes from Delaware, Maryland, Missouri, and Kentucky giving a majority to the abolitionists. Alabama was the first to secede, followed by West Florida. South Carolina was the third to leave, while Arkansas and Tennessee voted on the same day. North Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi also voted to secede by late 1863, and representatives of the states met in Montgomery, Alabama to discuss a new political Union. Viewing the (kinda) strong federal government of the United States as a detriment to their rights, a modified version of the Articles of Confederation (1781-1800) became the foundational document of the Confederate States of America. Louisiana and Salado petitioned to join the Confederacy, followed by Texas and Jefferson. After a strong debate between "Californios," Hispanics who lived in California, and the White slave holders in the state, California became the final state to secede, joining the Confederacy in December of 1863.

An uneasy peace took place between the Rebels and the Union forces, until March 18th, when the Confederate Army of Eastern Carolina launched an invasion of Norfolk, Virginia and the Army of Tennessee launched a similar attack in Paducah, Kentucky. The Rebels believed attacking the states would result in their secession, making the Confederacy the true defender of slavery and states' rights. The measure had the opposite effect, and the Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri legislatures overwhelmingly passed resolutions supporting the United States and raising militia to fight back against the rebels.

The war would last almost seven years. It would be the bloodiest conflict the United States was ever engaged in, and would remain a mark on the country for generations. The damage to the country was breathtaking, and the expansion of the federal government's power one of the largest in the country's history. Abraham Lincoln would go on to win the 1864 election and would win again in 1868, leading the United States through the war, and overseeing the beginning of the Reconstruction Era. It was under President Lincoln that the United States Constitution was amended to abolish Slavery.

Last edited:
Well we’re a back bench type of town. :p

Any chance of a list of all MPs?

I can actually supply a list of MPs from a (long abandoned) project based on your old maps. It’ll need significant changes to match the changes but it gives us some names if nothing else.

Well we’re a back bench type of town. :p

Any chance of a list of all MPs?

I do have a list of MPs. I think I will do an infobox series on the front benches, and just put out a list of all the MPs.

I can actually supply a list of MPs from a (long abandoned) project based on your old maps. It’ll need significant changes to match the changes but it gives us some names if nothing else.

I'm unsure of who this is directed at, is this to @VT45, who has the excellent Confederation of New England, or if it references my own older maps with New England, which did not include Long Island and had a smaller Adirondack.

Why could he be leader of the Labour Party in 2006, when he's only been MP (for the 2nd time) in Ward 12 Boston since 2009?

Same way Jagmeet Singh is currently the leader of the New Democratic Party while not being an MP. The 2005 election was brutal on Labour, only 8 MPs were elected in a landslide defeat for the Kerry Government. Kirk, who stepped down in protest against the Kerry Government's ongoing ethics scandal in late 2004, was chosen as the leader because of his stance against his own party and leadership.

Same way Jagmeet Singh is currently the leader of the New Democratic Party while not being an MP. The 2005 election was brutal on Labour, only 8 MPs were elected in a landslide defeat for the Kerry Government. Kirk, who stepped down in protest against the Kerry Government's ongoing ethics scandal in late 2004, was chosen as the leader because of his stance against his own party and leadership.
Like to see more of these stories!

Can we get a list of when the US states became states ITTL, please.

Code:
North Carolina    18 February 1800
Maryland    6 March 1800
Ohio    25 March 1800
New York    7 April 1800
Georgia    10 April 1800
Tennessee    23 April 1800
Pennsylvania    29 April 1800
Virginia    1 May 1800
Delaware    5 May 1800
South Carolina    9 May 1800
Kentucky    3 June 1800