Status
Not open for further replies.
3D26f8U.png
Who are those candidates on the graph who (presumably) dropped out?

2019 Namibian general election
gxv0Gkq.png
The 2019 Namibian general election was held on 25 August 2019 to determine the composition of the Nationalversammlung and the Government of Namibia. Early voting took place the week prior at designated consulates in Ovawambo, Namaqua, Botswana, and Germany. Incumbent Chancellor Jonathan Cronenberg of the Christian Democratic Movement defeated Opposition Leader Calle Schlettwein and Greens leader Garth Owen-Smith.

Several pre-election polls found that the election would be unusually competitive. The Christian Democratic Movement (Christlich-Demokratische Bewegung) has won every election since 1981 general election after the War of Independence against South Africa. However, Calle Schlettwein, the newly-elected leader of the Social Democratic Union (Sozialdemokratische Union), undertook a campaign across the country, making a point to visit even small villages along rural highways, and personally held 'listening sessions' in civic centres and meeting voters individually. The deteriorating environmental situation along Namibia's coastline boosted the popularity of Garth Owen-Smith and The Greens (Die Grünen), as an increased attention was placed on the fragile ecosystem of the country, and the need to preserve it.

Chancellor Cronenberg remained personally popular, but discontent was beginning to rise among the country's citizens. Wage growth was nearly flat, with inflation beginning to increase well above the normal rate of 4% a year, mostly driven by the decrease of the German-Namibian Development Grants, which had come to compromise nearly half of Namibia's budget in recent years. In response to this, and the failure of the Chancellor to negotiate a return to the higher payment amount during his trip to Berlin in mid 2017, the Ministry of Finance began printing more money to make up the shortfall. The opposition condemned the move, but the Government defended it by saying it was a temporary measure until the Grants were restored.

There was further disagreement over the Government's planned investment into the Trans-African Railway, which would run from Walfischbai to Beira in Mozambique. Most saw the project as largely a misuse of funds, and contested that it was a temporary jobs programme to boost the party's odds in the election. Cronenberg was also attacked for leaked phone calls with Namaqua President Dawid Boois, in which he asked the country for economic assistance to try and balance the budget.

Through the course of the election, Chancellor Cronenberg did not campaign, instead the party attempted to position himself as a leader working tirelessly to run the affairs of state, and to tackle the country's problems. Schlettwein continued his campaigning across the country, visiting every constituency and all four states during the course of the campaign. As polls predicted that the Christian Democrats would actually lose their majority, Cronenberg became to campaign, and cast the Social Democrats as dangerous radicals who would harm the country's international standing, and make the country's financial situation even worse. He also attacked the Greens, alleging their policy would mark the end of Namibia's economy.

The sudden, and aggressive, campaign worked. The Christian Democrats were able to secure a reduced majority, and the Social Democrats saw their representation increase to 21 seats, an all-time high for the party. The Greens also gained a seat, winning Kunene's First District. The Social Democrats considered the election a success, as they also captured the State Council of Walfischbai and the State Council of Konkiep, leaving only Lüderitz under the control of the Christian Democrats, giving the Social Democrats a working majority in the Rat der Regionen, the country's upper house, for the first time in history.

YQTJ5k2.png

Deleted member 107125

What is Moonrise Kingdom like ITTL? I assume that Sam and Suzy’s dynamic would be different given that Suzy in ITTL’s version of the film would be a New Englander and Sam would be likely be different. Very few actors would actually be New Englanders, except Edward Norton, whose mother would be American and whose father might be a New Englander, Kara Hayward, and Harvey Keitel.

Last edited by a moderator:
gxv0Gkq.png
The 2019 Namibian general election was held on 25 August 2019 to determine the composition of the Nationalversammlung and the Government of Namibia. Early voting took place the week prior at designated consulates in Ovawambo, Namaqua, Botswana, and Germany. Incumbent Chancellor Jonathan Cronenberg of the Christian Democratic Movement defeated Opposition Leader Calle Schlettwein and Greens leader Garth Owen-Smith.

Several pre-election polls found that the election would be unusually competitive. The Christian Democratic Movement (Christlich-Demokratische Bewegung) has won every election since 1981 general election after the War of Independence against South Africa. However, Calle Schlettwein, the newly-elected leader of the Social Democratic Union (Sozialdemokratische Union), undertook a campaign across the country, making a point to visit even small villages along rural highways, and personally held 'listening sessions' in civic centres and meeting voters individually. The deteriorating environmental situation along Namibia's coastline boosted the popularity of Garth Owen-Smith and The Greens (Die Grünen), as an increased attention was placed on the fragile ecosystem of the country, and the need to preserve it.

When was Walvis bay merged with Namibia? When it was retaken during the war of independance

Are there anglo and afrikaners who lived in Nambia who decided to stay there and side with the germans? the Infobox says 1.3% togethere, how are they seen there?

How are the more than 10% of natives treated there? Who represents them?

@Kanan I love the seating chart/plan design for the Nationalversammlung; I haven't seen one done on a diagonal before, only straight benches or a U-shape. Nice touch!

Could you post a larger version of the constituency map when you get a chance?

How did Namibia become so German?

The Namibian coast is pretty desolate, and this Namibia is lacking a lot of the interior and north where pre-colonial settlement was thickest. It wouldn’t take much German settlement to overwhelm local populations when mining got started. Look at those vote totals for a clue.

Though that doesn’t mean @Hindustani Person’s fears aren’t also true. A small Euro population could still oppress the natives.

And even if natives have equal rights, it’s clearly saying something that all three party leaders are white; de facto prejudice, at least, has left a legacy.

What is Moonrise Kingdom like ITTL? I assume that Sam and Suzy’s dynamic would be different given that Suzy in ITTL’s version of the film would be a New Englander and Sam would be likely be different. Very few actors would actually be New Englanders, except Edward Norton, whose mother would be American and whose father might be a New Englander, Kara Hayward, and Harvey Keitel.

Where is Conan O’Brien ITTL?

I'm sorry, I really don't know much about pop culture :frown: I'm afraid I'm not really able to answer those questions. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!!

Is there much of a push in Namibia for union with Germany?

All of Namibia's major parties push for Namibia becoming a State of Germany.

When was Walvis bay merged with Namibia? When it was retaken during the war of independance

Are there anglo and afrikaners who lived in Nambia who decided to stay there and side with the germans? the Infobox says 1.3% togethere, how are they seen there?

How are the more than 10% of natives treated there? Who represents them?

Walvis Bay was merged with Namibia during the Anglo-ownership of Namibia (which it was a British mandate for a few years after taking it from Germany).

The Anglos and Afrikaners who live in Namibia are mostly refugees from South Africa, either from before independence or post independence. They mostly fade into the background noise, and are just seen as another minority group in a German state.

@Kanan I love the seating chart/plan design for the Nationalversammlung; I haven't seen one done on a diagonal before, only straight benches or a U-shape. Nice touch!

Could you post a larger version of the constituency map when you get a chance?

Thank you so much! I did want something different for Namibia!

Here you go!

How did Namibia become so German?

Namibia was the land set aside by the South African government as a "German Homeland," much like Natal (the South African province, not the independent country) is an "Anglo Homeland" and the smaller "African Homelands" throughout the country.

I just hope that there is no apartheid or any equivalent system there

Namibia is a fully democratic state, so there are no formal barriers to political, social, or economic activity.

The Namibian coast is pretty desolate, and this Namibia is lacking a lot of the interior and north where pre-colonial settlement was thickest. It wouldn’t take much German settlement to overwhelm local populations when mining got started. Look at those vote totals for a clue.

Though that doesn’t mean @Hindustani Person’s fears aren’t also true. A small Euro population could still oppress the natives.

And even if natives have equal rights, it’s clearly saying something that all three party leaders are white; de facto prejudice, at least, has left a legacy.

This. The Germans here were resettled by the South Africans of *all* Germans that lived in the entire region of southern Africa. This is why their density in this area is so high, and why there are *no* other Germans in South Africa or Namaqua or Ovawambo. South Africa has, in the past, run propaganda campaigns to induce (white) immigration to its country, so it had targeted ethnically white Germans from other German-speaking African states like Hurueno or Kamerun, who feared persecution by the new majority-rule governments. After independence, Namibia has created strong ties with Germany, and encourage Germans to move to the country, promising riches in its mining industry.

What does Germany think of this?

That is very, very interesting for me (as a German), too. Would we accept Namibia as a new state?

so it had targeted ethnically white Germans from other German-speaking African states like Hurueno or Kamerun, who feared persecution by the new majority-rule governments.

Do you have any more information on Hurueno (and/or Cameroon)?

Also, sorry if I am missing something here (I don't follow the TL that closely after all), but what are Lesotho and Natal like in the view of this totalitarian North-Korea type Apartheid South Africa?

Actually, another small question popped up. This article says that one of the last communist holdouts was in Bavaria. Where would the Reds have held out in Bavaria? Maybe in my hometown of Memmingen? Or somewhere in the nearby mountains? Actually, Bavaria in OTL is one of the most conservative states of Germany. Thus why I find it very interesting where the last communist holdout(s) of Bavaria were.

Really awesome, that includes nearly the whole history of Germany! I just now got around to read it all!

I didn't quite get two things, though:

1. Was Franz von Papen elected democratically? In a free and fair election, in a rigged one? Was the/a Great Depression the reason why previous governments of Weimar Germany lasted for under a year (the last pre-von Papen government lasted for 18 days only!)?
  2. Why did Germany and Poland decide to just invade the Soviet Union? To "stop the spread of Bolshevism" or something like that? What was the casus belli?
And a few questions about the German parties - their infoboxes are just as lovely and extremely well-made as all the other Germany-related content of this post!

• What are the (main) differences between DVP, NPD and Zentrum? The NPD seems to be Euroskeptic, but otherwise centrist or even centre-left? How nationalist is the NPD?
  • Why is the Zentrum party rated as centre-left? These policies in OTL would be centre-right, even right-wing.
  • How far left-wing is the Green Party ITTL?
  • How different are SPD and PAP?
  • What party is Angela Merkel be in ITTL? I find her sharing a party with Bernd Lucke implausible, but policy-wise, she should be in DVP.
  • Also, what would OTL AfD/right-wing populist voters vote in OFC's Germany?
  • Are any parties banned in TTLs Germany?
  • What parties not represented in the Reichstag are most notable?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.