Status
Not open for further replies.
What waterways did New England try to purchase up to?

The River Mohawk. It forms the border between Adirondack and New York for much of its length, however between Herkimer and Utica, it juts north across the banks of the river. Schuyler and Herkimer are the two New York towns on the "New England" side of the River Mohawk, and have been the regions coveted by the Yankees.

Question OVERLOAD Zyxoriv! We just had this issue on another thread, and I don't really want to see another member panicking over too many questions!

Building on my previous Adirondack border question: are there any natural borders for the boundary of the province below the Albany-Troy-Schenectady area?

I saw that Rutherford B. Hayes was on the New England Prime Ministers list despite being born and raised in Ohio IOTL.

So now I'd like to ask a question: are there any other famous or important people who are from the New England region ITTL but not IOTL?

I saw that Rutherford B. Hayes was on the New England Prime Ministers list despite being born and raised in Ohio IOTL.

So now I'd like to ask a question: are there any other famous or important people who are from the New England region ITTL but not IOTL?
His parents were from Vermont though, so the chances of the family moving to the Ohio in this TL would be rather slim... Making the fact that RBH is a native New Englander logical.

Why did South Vietnam win the civil war ITTL?

Fervent anti-communist support by both the Commonwealth and the United States. Plus, no free lunch from China, as the KMT dictatorship had set in already.

Why did Hawaii stay Independent ITTL?

The British and French stood fast to the treaty to protect the islands. It defacto became a British protectorate where historically some maps would paint it pink (think of British actions in Africa where indigenous leaders would still rule) but the British didn't have a royal governor there. They did have a naval station, however.

Building on my previous Adirondack border question: are there any natural borders for the boundary of the province below the Albany-Troy-Schenectady area?

No. The boundary is roughly the former Manor of Rensselaerswyck, which was considered the southern boundary of Albany county after it was torn away from the Province of New York.

I'd love to see a list of the Mayors of the largest New England cities

I'll add it to the list :)

If their history can be traced tangentially to the region, they are New Englanders. The Bush family, for instance, are actually from upstate New York.

In general, if a person's ancestors immigrated to New York City, I also reserved the right to have them immigrate to Brooklyn or Boston.

His parents were from Vermont though, so the chances of the family moving to the Ohio in this TL would be rather slim... Making the fact that RBH is a native New Englander logical.

Correct. Both of his parents were Vermonters, ergo his family and descendants are from New England. Likewise, Northeastern Ohio is vastly different in this timeline, as it was settled by New Englanders. Many of the people there actually live in New England.

Correct. Both of his parents were Vermonters, ergo his family and descendants are from New England. Likewise, Northeastern Ohio is vastly different in this timeline, as it was settled by New Englanders. Many of the people there actually live in New England.

Isn't that where the Western Connecticut thing comes from?

If their history can be traced tangentially to the region, they are New Englanders. The Bush family, for instance, are actually from upstate New York.

In general, if a person's ancestors immigrated to New York City, I also reserved the right to have them immigrate to Brooklyn or Boston.

Thanks for the clarification.

Because Northeastern Ohio is completely different, I am guessing that John Brown (born in Torrington, CT but raised in Hudson, OH) is pretty much non-notable ITTL?

I'd also like to ask a question about the banking industry.

IOTL, J.P. Morgan & Co. and Wells Fargo, two of the biggest banks in the history of the United States, were founded in New York City. But J.P. Morgan and Henry Wells were both New Englanders, as were the parents of William Fargo (I just looked that up). Since you're implying that most New Englanders that lived in New York City IOTL lived in Brooklyn or Boston ITTL, do those banks have their main operations in New England instead of the US? (If so, Wells Fargo would obviously have a different logo.)

Mᴜʜ Wᴇsᴛ Gᴜɪɴᴇᴀ ᴘʟs

I'll work on it today!

Thanks for the clarification.

Because Northeastern Ohio is completely different, I am guessing that John Brown (born in Torrington, CT but raised in Hudson, OH) is pretty much non-notable ITTL?

This is correct. He was just a school teacher of little note in Litchfield County.

Are any such stations presently maintained?

Does Hawaii have a naval force, or does it have some kind of defence agreement with other powers?

Hawai'i has a Coast Guard, and nothing else. Because of its close ties with the United Kingdom, anyone who would try and attack them would most likely face hell from the Commonwealth.

The United Kingdom does maintain a base in Momi Harbour.

I'd also like to ask a question about the banking industry.

IOTL, J.P. Morgan & Co. and Wells Fargo, two of the biggest banks in the history of the United States, were founded in New York City. But J.P. Morgan and Henry Wells were both New Englanders, as were the parents of William Fargo (I just looked that up). Since you're implying that most New Englanders that lived in New York City IOTL lived in Brooklyn or Boston ITTL, do those banks have their main operations in New England instead of the US? (If so, Wells Fargo would obviously have a different logo.)

This is correct. New England's largest banks are J.P. Morgan & Co., Wells Fargo, and the Royal Bank of New England (RBNE).

West Papua
SbZzt0U.png

West Papua, also known by its official name Netherlands New Guinea, is a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands located in Oceania. Together with Papua New Guinea, the two countries occupy the island of New Guinea. West Papua is the last remnant of the Dutch East Indies, and is known as a tourist destination for Australian and Japanese travellers, who go to see the country's pristine beaches and untouched interior. The capital, Hollandia, is the home port of the Dutch East Indies naval squadron, which patrols the waters between West Papua and Indonesia, with whom the Netherlands has been engaged with a low-level conflict in since the former's bid for independence. West Papua was briefly occupied (1969-1972) by Indonesia, but a multinational coalition of forces (Netherlands, United States, and United Kingdom) invaded Indonesia to topple the country's fledgling Communist government. Despite forever renouncing a claim to West Papua, the nationalist government which took over in the early 1980s denounced the agreement with the Dutch, and proclaimed the territory belonged to Indonesia.

West Papua is also known for its high income inequalities, as well as several uncontacted and rural lifestyle of many of its citizens outside of the shoreline. The economy has been in a cycle of constant stagnation and recession, stemming from the 1986 Act of Deportation, which removed those identified as "Asiatic" and "Indonesian," in a measure to try and keep West Papua free from outside interference.

There is broad support for the country to unite with Papua New Guinea, although West Papua refuses on the grounds of the poor security which could be offered by Papua New Guinea. Instead, the two counties share special rights such as a single market and limited border controls, as well as an agreement to respect the lifestyles of the indigenous populations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.