Status
Not open for further replies.
6EKJYsi.jpg

Really awesome work about a terrifying country.

What does the “younger” generation (those who didn’t know the war, so millennials and younger for a comparison with IRL America) of Afrikaners think about the government and policies of the country? I guess that most are aware of the brutality of the regime (although some may not know/accept the worst bits, a bit like among some Chinese Mainlander IRL), but surely many people would want to be able to speak against the regime and not like that prominent protesters are arrested, i can kinda see a mindset like

“Yeah democracy would be nice but it would weaken us and external power which refuse categorically to negotiate with us would take advantage of it, and even if we do democratize they wouldn’t recognise us until we end the bantustan/apartheid system which is incompatible with our current economy and would make ME poorer”

I can see many people being sympathetic to liberal and egalitarian ideas but preferring subsidised services, and once people start having families surely highly subsidised parenting services would make older people want to keep the status quo for sure.

Still I wonder if there is a slow generational change, because while right now international dialogue seems impossible maybe 20 years in the future it will be.

And the legalisation of overnight stay for Black South African is interesting, is it done on a more individual scale or have large slums and “townships” appeared already? I guess that before that black South African working temporarily outside of the bantustans were kept in camp?

Also were there any uprising in Bantustans? I remember you saying that South Africa used WMDs against its own people, is it true and was it used against bantustans?

Now I'm wondering, are there any dog or cat breeds (either New England specific or not) that are unique to this TL?

What a beautiful cat!!

Outside of IRL breeds common to the region (eg, the Maine Coon cat) there are no new unique breeds to New England.

God, this is... awful. I don't know what to say.

It is quite bad. :closedtongue:

Jeez, I knew South Africa was bad ITTL but I didn’t realise they were North Korea-esque...

Yeah. It should convey the horrific position that the country finds itself in, and how the ideology of the initial coup of the 1940s/1950s... really never left.

How would the international and investigative journalist fare or worse in TTL South Africa? I think sometimes there are journalists who are trying to report about the realistic conditions are suffered from getting harassed by the government.

They would be arrested for crimes against the Government of South Africa. South Africa officially bans all foreign reporters inside the country, and attempting to do so is a capital offence.

Really awesome work about a terrifying country.

Thank you!

What does the “younger” generation (those who didn’t know the war, so millennials and younger for a comparison with IRL America) of Afrikaners think about the government and policies of the country? I guess that most are aware of the brutality of the regime (although some may not know/accept the worst bits, a bit like among some Chinese Mainlander IRL), but surely many people would want to be able to speak against the regime and not like that prominent protesters are arrested, i can kinda see a mindset like

“Yeah democracy would be nice but it would weaken us and external power which refuse categorically to negotiate with us would take advantage of it, and even if we do democratize they wouldn’t recognise us until we end the bantustan/apartheid system which is incompatible with our current economy and would make ME poorer”

I can see many people being sympathetic to liberal and egalitarian ideas but preferring subsidised services, and once people start having families surely highly subsidised parenting services would make older people want to keep the status quo for sure.

The younger generation is mostly apathetic to the "cause." There isn't exactly a ton of support for the government, but they know to shut up and not speak out, lest the police show up at their door in the night, never to be heard of again. Young Afrikaners who do want to escape, sometimes find a way through Namibia or Natal and make their way to Britain or New Zealand. There is an active anti-Regime community outside of the country, and there is hope that the youngest generation will be the future of the country. While the results are skewed because it was only done by those that escaped, most young Afrikaners are staunch anti-Racists.

Still I wonder if there is a slow generational change, because while right now international dialogue seems impossible maybe 20 years in the future it will be.

This is very possible! The reality is that it will take an incredible long time for the people to change and for the new Government leadership to take hold that shakes off all the negative policies of the past. While each generation has been better than the last, they are still horrifically racist and totalitarian.

And the legalisation of overnight stay for Black South African is interesting, is it done on a more individual scale or have large slums and “townships” appeared already? I guess that before that black South African working temporarily outside of the bantustans were kept in camp?

It's been done nationwide. You legally need a reason to be outside of a Bantustan, but the government does have a visa you can apply for that is generally a "free contractor" wherein you are allowed to linger around designated areas in cities during the day to offer your labour. This has created some slum areas outside the city where these people live (illegally). Sometimes "slum cleaning" takes place by the army.

Also were there any uprising in Bantustans? I remember you saying that South Africa used WMDs against its own people, is it true and was it used against bantustans?

There have been a few. The most major uprisings have been in the Bantustans, and it was at the "Request" of the Bantustan leaders that "all measures" be taken to ensure the "complete independence" of these "countries." Thus, South Africa treated all rebels like an enemy combatant force that was attacking a loyal ally, and most often simply used the chance to test any and all new weapons they had developed.

Wait, I hate being a shitty killjoy, but not 'all' non-white citizens were in Bantustans, the cape Malays, coloureds, and Indians were second-class citizens

Technically the truth. but many Coloureds and the Asian population were classified as "white, non-citizens" and afforded the right to live outside of Bantustans. Only recently was citizenship extended to them by simply reclassifying them as white. The South African government has, indeed, adopted an insane racial binary that there is no straying from.

What percentage of the South African population (including Bantustans) is White?

By the TTL South African government's estimation? Around 55%. What we would understand and reasonably call white? About 30%.

Hello I'm commenting on this! I just read the 2014 Connecticut election post from way back on page 29 and I have to remark that New England Labour definitely seems to have an age and gender problem. The Kirk Ministry having so few women in it is definitely surprising, and having Paul Kirk as PM, Bernie Sanders trying to oust him, and Nancy Wyman as the party's president makes it feel very old. It's an interesting bit of worldbuilding to give Labour these flaws.

How are French South African relations? I imagine France may be at least somewhat sympathetic to the regime do having a kind of similar situation in Algeria.

Do the New England House of Commons and Massachusetts General Court both meet in Parliament House? If not does the General Court meet at the old state house or another location in the city?

2018 Mexican presidential election
gxv0Gkq.png

The 2018 Mexican presidential election took place on 26 August 2018 to elect the President of Mexico for a six year term. Voters elected the majority of the members to the country's Electoral College. Elections also took place across all Mexican States, except Yucatán, which maintains a different electoral cycle. The election was the first in a century in which under half of the voting population participated in the election, which many attributed to voter apathy.

Incumbent president César Camacho Quiroz suffered from poor approval ratings, and his Partido Liberal Federalista (PLF) had suffered a severe blow in the 2015 Mexican general election, removing his government's majority in the Senate, and slowing down his ambitious plan implement the Plan de Reforma para México, the ambitious restructuring of the economy that his opponents believed was unnecessary.

The election was marked by the first mass political demonstrations in the country since the Fall of the Council, with the populist political Carlito Vivanco directing his Gran Movimiento del Águila (GMA) [Grand Eagle Movement] in large mass rallies and marches through the streets of Mexico.

The presidential election was won by Beatriz Mojica of the Unión Social y Democrática (USD). This was the first election since 1976 that the election went to the final round of the Expanded Electoral College, and represents the lowest share of the popular vote to win an election in Mexican history. The election was also notable for the winner, USD, losing a large number of seats in both the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate.

qFArRwI.png
tMnd4SD.png

jBJ7woZ.png

Wow... Mexico, taking America's electoral college and ramping up the confusion to an 11. I have seen convoluted electoral processes, but this one really takes the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.