Our Fair Country: The Commonwealth of New England

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Kanan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. CanadianTory MacKay 2020

I need to know who the potential leadership candidates are.

2. True Grit Creek

It's probably been said before, but I'll say it again, with Carbone and now Romano you really have a knack for finding obscure figures IOTL who could very reasonably have become prominent ITTL.

Temeraire, Kanan, Seef and 4 others like this.
  3. terranova210486 Well-Known Member

What did Stan Lee (R.I.P.) do ITTL?

Pokemon Master likes this.
  4. msmp A Most Ingenious Paradox

@Kanan first, your dedication to this timeline is phenomenal. Second (and this is not a request for an infobox or anything, just a general question), what's the status of the Korean peninsula ITTL with a still extant USSR, but no WWII to trigger the Korean War? I apologize if I have missed it, but I only saw one or two references to a united Korea somewhere and wanted to double check.

5. Pokemon Master What's it to you?

if he ended up being a New Englander, I hope he got knighted

6. Threadmarks: Imperial Nostalgia

Kanan Timeline Raises New and Troubling Questions

7. Gladsome Well-Known Member

Well, that at least seems like a fairly benevolent take on enduring support for Imperialism. Brings to mind the Labour Imperialism of the 40s and 50s mixed with some more modern attitudes.

JanSmuts321, Pokemon Master and Kanan like this.
  8. Kanan Timeline Raises New and Troubling Questions

The Baltic countries agitated even more for independence, and after this point it became clear the Soviet State could no longer hold on to it. The Soviet Army was withdrawn, and Gorbachev agreed to elections in the territories, free and fair, to then grant them independence. Gorbachev remained in office until his recent retirement. Francisco Louçã did indeed receive the Nobel Peace Prize. There are a lot of conspiracy theories, pretty much all you can think of.

The Flight Blackout Crisis was the final climax of the era of the Cold War, when they finally agreed that this type of brinksmanship was no longer a smart idea moving forward. The Soviet hardliners were beaten back, and Gorbachev's reforms were finally allowed to be fully implemented.

Albania is currently run by the Albanian Transitional Authority. The Communist government was recently overthrown after the Soviet Union withdrew forces.

It was a fully German team.

I, for one, hope we don't do a new election soon. Unless this time I take a week off from work to prep for it.

He did.

Leonard Mirra (Haverhill-Methuen)
    J.R. Romano (Derby-Orange-Milford)
    Robert Goguen (Moncton)

Just some of the names floated out there.

Thank you!!

Thank you so much!

The Korean Peninsula is a united, democratic presidential republic. There was never a Korean War, and Korea was jointly administered in three sections following the Pacific War between the Republic of China, United States, and United Kingdom. The United States held the bulk of the territory, and had the capital in Pyongyang, where it remained since then. The rural, poor south was administered by the United Kingdom, while areas of the north were administered by China. The United Kingdom was given control over China's mandate after the Chinese Civil War flared up, and eventually the two powers agreed to release Korea as an independent country in the 1960s.

Quite. Imperialism today is seen as "yes, we had done some things quite wrong. Horrific in fact. But the way we have gone about righting those wrongs and granting independence to some nations might have, in fact, made things worse. We must now strive to make the world a better place, and atone for the damage we have caused."

NVB, msmp, UrbanNight and 11 others like this.
  9. George Grant's Ghost Active Member

If the Imperial Party only dates back to 2004, what was the main right of centre party in the Commonwealth Parliament prior to that?

Seef and Analytical Engine like this.
  10. CommanderVonBruning In command of the torpedo gunboat 'Blitz'

I must say, what I really like about OFC is that it takes a POD in the distant past to essentially create a mish-mash of our own world with several later PODs applied, meaning that in piecemeal segments you get a somewhat recognisable world before you look at the bigger picture and realise that it's completely different. So you get "what if WW1 was more of a stalemate", "what if the Weimar Republic just went authoritarian instead of fascist", "what if Britain remained a superpower", "what if the USSR never fell", "what if the EU never existed and Europe was still divided between power blocs", "what if Apartheid never ended", "what if the Nationalists won the Chinese Civil War", "what if India was never partitioned" all applied in their own little theatres as offshoots of a larger tide of history which in less capable hands could very easily have come across forced and out of place, but instead has enough detail, effort and polish to be really effective. Well done Kanan!

11. Unknown Member

What's George Soros up to ITTL?

Ferd42 likes this.
  12. Danishbro Well-Known Member

I noticed that the New England Constabulary celebrate their 200 year anniversary today so I created some fanart!

[​IMG]

13. Arthur Marston Well-Known Member

What photo was this made from?

msmp and Pokemon Master like this.
  14. The Professor Pontifex Collegii Vexillographiariorum

The OTL Royal Newfoundland Constabulary going by the badge on the wall ;)

msmp and Flashman like this.
  15. Kanan Timeline Raises New and Troubling Questions

This is awesome!! thank you so much for making it!

I'd also like to remind everyone that Our Fair Summer Contest is still ongoing, and there's a month left!! We only have one entry at the moment, but I know several people are working on theirs. I hope to see more entries!

Temeraire, Onerom, Gladsome and 3 others like this.
  16. Israel_Dan the Man Well-Known Member

The imperial nostalgia wikibox is amazing! 1000/10 work as always Kanan! And I salute New England on its 200th birthday!

Quick question, are Russians a majority in the USSR? And does Ukraine kind of hate being in the USSR due to the Holodomor (if that has happened ITTL).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Kanan and Ferd42 like this.
  17. Threadmarks: The Peculiar Relationship

18. NotA_Potato Well-Known Member

Another day, another great post by Kanan!

My biggest point of interest is:

“Ramping up nuclear and biological testing in Antarctica”

Well that is a side effect of civilization in that continent. Can you elaborate some more on this?

Gladsome, Kanan and Pokemon Master like this.
  19. Threadmarks: 1996 United States presidential election

20. Pokemon Master What's it to you?

@Kanan How did you come up with the parliamentary ridings for the Maritime provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc.)?