Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kanan first, your dedication to this timeline is phenomenal. Second (and this is not a request for an infobox or anything, just a general question), what's the status of the Korean peninsula ITTL with a still extant USSR, but no WWII to trigger the Korean War? I apologize if I have missed it, but I only saw one or two references to a united Korea somewhere and wanted to double check.

Imperial Nostalgia
EKVA3hT.png

Well, that at least seems like a fairly benevolent take on enduring support for Imperialism. Brings to mind the Labour Imperialism of the 40s and 50s mixed with some more modern attitudes.

What became of the Baltic after this hefty crisis, @Kanan ? Did they gain some autonomy or something? Were there independence referendums? Did Gorbachev have to go? Did Francisco Louçã recieve a posthumous Nobel Peace Prize? Did anybody else have to go? Are conspiracy theories circling, e.g. that Soviet involvement was covered up or that Germany shot down the plane intentionally, or that the fuel tank was deliberately tampered with?

And this gets me to another question: Do we have any information on winners of Nobel Prizes? Especially the Nobel Peace Prize would interest me - these are interesting and inspiring personalities in most cases. But also the other prizes in Physics, Chemistry, Medicine etc. pp.

The Baltic countries agitated even more for independence, and after this point it became clear the Soviet State could no longer hold on to it. The Soviet Army was withdrawn, and Gorbachev agreed to elections in the territories, free and fair, to then grant them independence. Gorbachev remained in office until his recent retirement. Francisco Louçã did indeed receive the Nobel Peace Prize. There are a lot of conspiracy theories, pretty much all you can think of.

Also, you said that the Cold War ended in 2004. Did that have something to do with the Flight Blackout crisis? Generally, what information do we have on the USSR, @Kanan ?

I think the USSR is the next country you should focus on...

The Flight Blackout Crisis was the final climax of the era of the Cold War, when they finally agreed that this type of brinksmanship was no longer a smart idea moving forward. The Soviet hardliners were beaten back, and Gorbachev's reforms were finally allowed to be fully implemented.

I just looked at the democracy index map again, and Albania is really authoritarian. Not quite as bad as Israel or South Africa, but still very authoritarian. Is it ruled by Hoxha's cronies? Or even, like North Korea in OTL, by a son or grandson of Enver Hoxha?

Albania is currently run by the Albanian Transitional Authority. The Communist government was recently overthrown after the Soviet Union withdrew forces.

I know that the 1952 flag of Germany is the flag of the British/Commonwealth Mandate, but what team won that World Cup? A "native" German national team? A military-based team? A team enriched with Commonwealth players?

It was a fully German team.

Ooo I hope we see a new election soon!

Also I have to ask, did Jeff Jacoby write those editorials to his son Caleb ITTL, I just realized he was a columnist

I, for one, hope we don't do a new election soon. Unless this time I take a week off from work to prep for it.

He did.

I need to know who the potential leadership candidates are.

Leonard Mirra (Haverhill-Methuen)
J.R. Romano (Derby-Orange-Milford)
Robert Goguen (Moncton)

Just some of the names floated out there.

It's probably been said before, but I'll say it again, with Carbone and now Romano you really have a knack for finding obscure figures IOTL who could very reasonably have become prominent ITTL.

Thank you!!

@Kanan first, your dedication to this timeline is phenomenal. Second (and this is not a request for an infobox or anything, just a general question), what's the status of the Korean peninsula ITTL with a still extant USSR, but no WWII to trigger the Korean War? I apologize if I have missed it, but I only saw one or two references to a united Korea somewhere and wanted to double check.

Thank you so much!

The Korean Peninsula is a united, democratic presidential republic. There was never a Korean War, and Korea was jointly administered in three sections following the Pacific War between the Republic of China, United States, and United Kingdom. The United States held the bulk of the territory, and had the capital in Pyongyang, where it remained since then. The rural, poor south was administered by the United Kingdom, while areas of the north were administered by China. The United Kingdom was given control over China's mandate after the Chinese Civil War flared up, and eventually the two powers agreed to release Korea as an independent country in the 1960s.

Well, that at least seems like a fairly benevolent take on enduring support for Imperialism. Brings to mind the Labour Imperialism of the 50s mixed with some more modern attitudes.

Quite. Imperialism today is seen as "yes, we had done some things quite wrong. Horrific in fact. But the way we have gone about righting those wrongs and granting independence to some nations might have, in fact, made things worse. We must now strive to make the world a better place, and atone for the damage we have caused."

I must say, what I really like about OFC is that it takes a POD in the distant past to essentially create a mish-mash of our own world with several later PODs applied, meaning that in piecemeal segments you get a somewhat recognisable world before you look at the bigger picture and realise that it's completely different. So you get "what if WW1 was more of a stalemate", "what if the Weimar Republic just went authoritarian instead of fascist", "what if Britain remained a superpower", "what if the USSR never fell", "what if the EU never existed and Europe was still divided between power blocs", "what if Apartheid never ended", "what if the Nationalists won the Chinese Civil War", "what if India was never partitioned" all applied in their own little theatres as offshoots of a larger tide of history which in less capable hands could very easily have come across forced and out of place, but instead has enough detail, effort and polish to be really effective. Well done Kanan!

I noticed that the New England Constabulary celebrate their 200 year anniversary today so I created some fanart!

This is awesome!! thank you so much for making it!

I'd also like to remind everyone that Our Fair Summer Contest is still ongoing, and there's a month left!! We only have one entry at the moment, but I know several people are working on theirs. I hope to see more entries!

The imperial nostalgia wikibox is amazing! 1000/10 work as always Kanan! And I salute New England on its 200th birthday!

Quick question, are Russians a majority in the USSR? And does Ukraine kind of hate being in the USSR due to the Holodomor (if that has happened ITTL).

Last edited:
Another day, another great post by Kanan!

My biggest point of interest is:

“Ramping up nuclear and biological testing in Antarctica”

Well that is a side effect of civilization in that continent. Can you elaborate some more on this?

@Kanan How did you come up with the parliamentary ridings for the Maritime provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc.)?

Kanan doesn't come up with anything.

She actually lives in the world of OFC, and her computer is a link between worlds.

The occasional retcon is to throw us off the truth, but my mind simply cannot fathom any other way such a meticulously crafted world can be made.

2019 Maine Flag Referendum
gxv0Gkq.png

The Maine flag referendum was held on 4 August 2019 to determine the next flag of Maine. The current flag of Maine, emblazoned with the English-language "Province of Maine," had long been a source of contention among Maine's francophone majority. The flag, adopted in the early 1940s, was done so by the Yorkies, a powerful Anglophone political machine which controlled Maine's politics until very recently. The shifting demographics, and widespread acceptance of French as the lingua franca of Maine, led to a groundswell of opposition to Maine's current flag. With politicians from the Maine Liberal-Conservative Party, Maine Labour Party, and Acadian-Farmer-Worker's Party all supporting the drive to change it. It wasn't until the 2017 Maine general election, did legislation get proposed and passed which authorised a referendum on the issue. The major contentious issue surrounding the legislation was not that the flag was potentially going to change; it was the voting system that would be employed.

The Maine Labour Party had won the election on the promise of electoral reform, and pledged to implement it first in this referendum, before introducing it across the province. After being defeated several times, the bill was finally passed in mid 2018, in which two flags chosen in a provincial contest would be sent to a vote against the current flag of Maine. The election would be conducted using instant-run off voting, in a system identical to the one used in Australia. Members of the Australian Electoral Commission would be employed to help train returning officers in conducting the vote. Despite the strong opposition from the Liberal-Conservative Party and the Acadian-Farmer-Worker's Party, Labour remained united as a group and passed both this legislation and legislation to implement it across the province for local and provincial elections.

The flag campaign was heavily influenced by undeclared money, and the strong support of the current flag by the Yorkies. Several federal MPs weighed into the debate, the most notable being Scott Brown, who advocated for the current flag to remain. Despite supporting it initially, the Liberal-Conservatives unexpectedly strongly endorsed retaining the current flag, and vowing to challenge the result in the court system no matter the outcome because of the voting system used, which they allege is not legal to be applied in the province. In a surprising result, which polls did not capture, the current flag came in last, garnering only thirty per cent of the vote. The so called Compromise flag of Maine was designed by a committee in the Legislative Assembly came in a close second, but the ultimate winner, which had been championed by Maine's Acadian community and had come from the Madawaska Chamber of Commerce, had been able to edge out the Compromise flag for the first position, and ultimately captured a majority of the country's voters.

After the referendum took place, Premier Robert Duchesne pledged to respect the outcome of the referendum, and announced on 6 August that the new flag would be flown across the province effective on 1 January 2020, and money would be allocated from the provincial budget for citizens to obtain the new flag for personal use, free of charge, if they submitted the older design to the government. Despite the opposition by the Liberal-Conservatives, the Legislative Assembly passed a bill on 7 August that made the changes permanent to bind the government to the results of the referendum.

Zr6AZaB.png

Big thanks to @Turquoise Blue for giving me the idea for this box, and for @rsha1s for designing the runner-up flag!

Status
Not open for further replies.