Our Fair Country: The Commonwealth of New England

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Kanan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Gladsome Well-Known Member

Well, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about important historical events as you did for the 2002 flight blackout, a look perhaps at some of the other Crown Colonies as you did for Suez, or some closer looks at European states like Portugal, Italy or the Netherlands. Anything on political developments in the Commonwealth is always interesting.

Of course, pretty much anything you decide to do would be fantastic, but those were just a few ideas I had.

2. DimensionalZodiac previously VA1967

Is the US map still current?

3. George Grant's Ghost Active Member

Amazing work as always! I would also love to hear more about the Commonwealth, any of the Realms, or the British Crown Colonies.

Kanan, Teiresias, Butter569 and 2 others like this.
  4. UrbanNight Well-Known Member

I second this call for more on the British Crown Colonies, in particular information about Hong Kong.
    And, @Kanan, don't worry if things are hard at the moment; you're still an inspiration to us all.

5. DPKdebator Hmm...

Where would most of the New England Irish live? Looking at the ancestry map of New England, it looks like in places like Massachusetts, overall the Irish are concentrated more in cities than in OTL Massachusetts.

6. Pokemon Master What's it to you?

there's probably a lot in Connecticut and Long Island, too

7. Rattigan Well-Known Member

I realise I'm seconding what a bunch of other people have already said but I'd love to see infoboxes on the Crown Colonies and/or Commonwealth Realms (any of them really but perhaps some of the non-Rhodesian ones in Africa like Kenya or Equatoria?) and one on the Latin Union, if possible.

Loving this all so far

8. DPKdebator Hmm...

Yeah, that’s what it looks like from the map, and it also looks like there’s a lot of Irish in the Portland area, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

9. Goweegie2 Infobox posting transgirl

I love to see the Social Labor party winning my home county, however unrealistic it may be :p

Kanan and Gladsome like this.
  10. msmp Well-Known Member

@Kanan, what's Hong Kong like ITTL? I saw John Tsang was leader of one of the Commonwealth parties, so I'm guessing there was no handover, but what's the colony/territory like now? What are the political dividing lines if there isn't a pro/anti Beijing dynamic as IOTL? And any chance of a Suez-style election wiki at some point?

(Only asking all these at once since you asked us for questions/ideas--don't mean to impose!)

Kanan, Airesien, UrbanNight and 3 others like this.
  11. DimensionalZodiac previously VA1967

@Kanan The US southern border seems to be different between the world and US map - which one is correct?

12. Threadmarks: Hong Kong

Kanan Timeline Raises New and Troubling Questions Donor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:49 PM
  13. Ongo Certified Procyon lotor

AMAZINGGGGGG

14. Gladsome Well-Known Member

Oh, that's magnificent. I love these compilations of regional history.

Good to see Hong Kong doing well for itself.

What exactly was the issue with the Functional Constituencies that the July Revolution was spurred by? Going by the wikibox, it was something to do with a lack of Universal Suffrage, but in what regard?

15. Kanan Timeline Raises New and Troubling Questions Donor

Hong Kong is prosperous, democratic, and Britain leaves it the hell alone. Just like it wants it to.

The Functional Constituencies were established by the Governors of Hong Kong to give representation to industrial and commercial elements of Hong Kong. For instance, there would be the Functional Constituency of Engineers, which would elect a member of the LegCo among themselves with a franchise of only several thousand. By 2002, Functional Constituencies composed over half of the LegCo, which meant that the democratic will of the people was simply ignored, and it meant Hong Kong's government was more or less run by people against the majority. The revolution was the backlash against this. Britain finally realised this was not going to work for Hong Kong, and made the LegCo fully democratic elected from 100 geographical constituencies on a FPTP basis.

Since 2002, Britain has left Hong Kong alone. British Governors do very little, and functionally act like a Governor-General in former Dominion countries. However, Hong Kong maintains itself as an integral part of the United Kingdom, and does not engage in any foreign policy without representation by London.

msmp, Teiresias, Ferd42 and 6 others like this.
  16. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about the specifics of IRL HK, but how is the housing market there? Are the inequalities as high as IRL (iirc the gini coefficient of HK is higher than Brazil’s), are there more social protections?

Ferd42 likes this.
  17. Airesien Well-Known Member

How come China doesn't demand Hong Kong back as in OTL?

Love the work btw.

Kanan and Ferd42 like this.
  18. Pokemon Master What's it to you?

what's the ideology of Democratic Action HK?

Kanan and msmp like this.
  19. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

@Kanan - this kitty wishes to say thanks for the awesome.

[​IMG]

20. CanadianTory Moderation in all things

Thank goodness Hong Kong is still British