Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldoggus

Banned
Also let me say that on the literacy front, the Sovs goosed their numbers in a big way. I mean by the end the urban population was literate, but a in the rural or outlying regions, there were a lot of what we would call functional illiterates. Maybe they could read the Russian version of "Dick and Jane," but they didn't actually have enough literacy to improve day-to-day lives.

Colonialism industrialized Africa and India, but obviously we don't say that colonialism was only somewhat bad
THere's a difference: before communism, 95% of people in the now ex-Soviet Union were poor and illiterate, with sickness being common. Yes, tens of millions of them died for stupid reasons, but @Bulldoggus there is a reason that the ex-Soviet nations have literacy rates of 95-99%. COmmunism is built on good intentions (Cambodia and North Korea excluded), colonialism is built on evil intentions which only claim to be good. It's all a matter of principle. Also, Colonialism made India poorer (example) by draining resources, but when Afghanistan was communist, women were actually treated like PEOPLE! Now look at how they're treated. *sigh*

Now let's stop getting off topic. I had no idea this would happen from one thing I said.

Ok, so I was watching the movie Ethan Frome, which takes place in a fictional town in New England some time in the late 1800's. It's admittedly not the most exciting movie of all time, but it did a really good job recreating the old New England accent, which is possibly the weirdest accent ever (you know, the one that Lovecraft wrote his lower-class characters with? This is what that sounds like). Anyways, I was watching this scene, and I think I gasped out loud at 2:54.

Look what is before us, men, for what we see...

After reading the whole thread over the past week or so, I am finally caught up.

@Kanan, this whole project is so wonderfully done, I just don't know what to say. The world building is so deep and well thought-out, the writing is smart and engaging, and the graphic design and presentation is BEAUTIFUL. I seriously don't think I've ever seen anything on AH.com that both looks this good, and reads this well. I hope you can keep going with it. I also love how you're able to mix in the dynamic contemporary politics and current events that drive a story, while also running with the historical background.

I will probably ask some more specific in-universe questions later, but I just wanted to thank you first for creating this, and doing such a fantastically thorough and inspired job with it.

And now a few of my questions for @Kanan. Apologies if some of them have already been covered, but we are more than four and a half thousand posts into the thread:

• Is there any thought of creating a new province out of western Long Island? Brooklyn and *Queens (and maybe some of the LI suburbs) seem like they would do better not being governed from Southampton. Intranational secession is kind of a thing for me.
  • Is the city of Westchester all of OTL Westchester County? Or is it just the Bronx, Yonkers, and maybe some of the places in the south of the county?
  • It's interesting that the NE Speaker of the House lost re-election. In the UK Westminster system (and I believe in Ireland, too?) the Speaker is traditionally not opposed in the general election. New England seems to have a similar general role for the Speaker as the UK (as opposed to the partisan US system) but with contested elections. Is that correct?
  • What are the differences between the OTL and TTL US Constitutions? I know we've hit on a few more recently, and clearly the stronger Reconstruction had some differences, but I would love if you could explain the alt-Constitution a bit more. Did incorporation of the Bill of Rights still happen?

After reading the whole thread over the past week or so, I am finally caught up.

@Kanan, this whole project is so wonderfully done, I just don't know what to say. The world building is so deep and well thought-out, the writing is smart and engaging, and the graphic design and presentation is BEAUTIFUL. I seriously don't think I've ever seen anything on AH.com that both looks this good, and reads this well. I hope you can keep going with it. I also love how you're able to mix in the dynamic contemporary politics and current events that drive a story, while also running with the historical background.

I will probably ask some more specific in-universe questions later, but I just wanted to thank you first for creating this, and doing such a fantastically thorough and inspired job with it.

Hi! Thank you!! I've been seeing you name pop up in my notifications, I knew you were running through the thread! I am 100% still working on this. I have two big releases coming up for Our Fair Country, and they are taking a lot of time!!

And now a few of my questions for @Kanan. Apologies if some of them have already been covered, but we are more than four and a half thousand posts into the thread:

• Is there any thought of creating a new province out of western Long Island? Brooklyn and *Queens (and maybe some of the LI suburbs) seem like they would do better not being governed from Southampton. Intranational secession is kind of a thing for me.
  • Is the city of Westchester all of OTL Westchester County? Or is it just the Bronx, Yonkers, and maybe some of the places in the south of the county?
  • It's interesting that the NE Speaker of the House lost re-election. In the UK Westminster system (and I believe in Ireland, too?) the Speaker is traditionally not opposed in the general election. New England seems to have a similar general role for the Speaker as the UK (as opposed to the partisan US system) but with contested elections. Is that correct?
  • What are the differences between the OTL and TTL US Constitutions? I know we've hit on a few more recently, and clearly the stronger Reconstruction had some differences, but I would love if you could explain the alt-Constitution a bit more. Did incorporation of the Bill of Rights still happen?

1) Sure, there's a very strong movement for it. The issue is both the Province and the Federal Government need to approve a measure to carve a new province out of an already existing province. The Conservatives have no desire to go down that path, while Labour is equally as hesitant. Much of the focus has instead gone towards strengthening Long Island's counties (at the expense of the provincial government) to give the west more autonomy from the east.
2) The City of Westchester can be seen on this map of the Tri-City Region.
3) Normally - yes. However in principle the opposition party will run a weak candidate who does not campaign and will normally engage in riding-wide discussions about public policy (in sense, the race becomes a large town hall and the constituents engage in understanding their civic duties as being represented by "the speaker"). In this instance, the SDP threw all conventional norms out the window, campaigned heavily and toppled the speaker.
4) There's a fair amount of differences I'd say. I will try and touch on them soon. I have a lot on my plate doing the two large updates for OFC at the moment sadly, and am going to start to pivot to Europe for a bit this spring in terms of content. Hopefully this summer we can swing back to the United States!

And here we go. I'm going to start posting every Friday, one week per year, until we get to 2019, when I will post monthly, real time updates.

On opening day of the 2000 operating season, May 21, the fourth and largest coaster at Lake Compounce opened: Boulder Dash. This coaster goes on the side of Mount Southington in the same layout as ITTL. It opens to rave reviews by enthusiasts, praising the airtime and continual sense of speed with the forest flying past.

The announcement for 2001: A new waterpark will open named Soak City. The area will be included with admission to LC. It will open with a Wave Pool; Mammoth Falls, a family raft ride; Lights Out, an enclosed body slide that is themed to a lighthouse; Lake Plunge, 2 tube slides that end in the lake; Anchor Bay, a lazy river, and 3 soak zones: Buccaneer Bay, Clipper Cove, and Keeper's Cottage.

Next Friday: Soak City opens.

On the doc linked here, help me with ideas for the 2002 year, which will be a flat ride in Thunder River.

Note: Nickelodeon Land (to be named Universe) is now scheduled for 2003.

And here we go. I'm going to start posting every Friday, one week per year, until we get to 2019, when I will post monthly, real time updates.

On opening day of the 2000 operating season, May 21, the fourth and largest coaster at Lake Compounce opened: Boulder Dash. This coaster goes on the side of Mount Southington in the same layout as ITTL. It opens to rave reviews by enthusiasts, praising the airtime and continual sense of speed with the forest flying past.

The announcement for 2001: A new waterpark will open named Soak City. The area will be included with admission to LC. It will open with a Wave Pool; Mammoth Falls, a family raft ride; Lights Out, an enclosed body slide that is themed to a lighthouse; Lake Plunge, 2 tube slides that end in the lake; Anchor Bay, a lazy river, and 3 soak zones: Buccaneer Bay, Clipper Cove, and Keeper's Cottage.

On the doc linked here, help me with ideas for the 2002 year, which will be a flat ride in Thunder River.

This is 2019.

I legitimately thought I hallucinated this post at first. The hell is the context for these theme parks?

The South African Conflict
OjEReH5.png

3VJYfUu.png

ZaUVSmu.png

Last edited:
AWESOME. JUST AWESOME. Though Namibia has a gdp per capita of $51,000 which is too high for a HDI of 0.706.

Also would it be possible for you to do a wikibox of Israel?

Status
Not open for further replies.