Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you ask that?
On some of the old newspaper articles from the Hamilton post or Fox News they mention a amendment to ban guns and how the president has flip flopped on that, I was just wondering what is going on with that amendment and what exactly are the gun policy opinions in the US like how far has the Overton window gone?

I was looking back on some of the old newspapers and I gotta aka did the US repeal the second amendment?
I’m going to take a very wild guess on behalf of @Kanan here (this may or may not be true):

Though President Rubio supports the repeal of the second amendment, the majority of Nationals don’t. They control the Senate so I doubt that any repeal has been passed. If the Social Labor Party took both the Senate and the House during the midterms, a repeal could have happened.

I’m going to take a very wild guess on behalf of @Kanan here (this may or may not be true):

Though President Rubio supports the repeal of the second amendment, the majority of Nationals don’t. They control the Senate so I doubt that any repeal has been passed. If the Social Labor Party took both the Senate and the House during the midterms, a repeal could have happened.

The by-lines mentioned that it was sent to the states for ratification, though.

Personally, my guess is that SCOTUS ruled that states can regulate firearms (no DC vs Heller or similar, I assume), but that the 2nd Amendment prohibits (excessive) federal regulation, since the headlines imply that states are already regulating firearms to a large extent.

Hello!

Kanan's timeline Our Fair Country has inspired many users on this server to start their own graphic timeline, and with the current contest i wanted to make a tribute to the wonderful world she created.
This is the result of way more time than i'm willing to admit, and i'm quite proud of it even if it didn't reach the quality i hoped it would, i'll likely continue (slowly) working on it to improve the shading and other details, but a deadline is a deadline (i made this map for the monthly contest - with her agreement of course)
6QR26t5.jpg

This map was also inspired by the late Richard Edes Harrison's works, they are really diverse and show data in unexpected ways, i encourage people to check out his maps!

It was a very complex map to make, i used a variety of softwares, from blender to qgis to google sketchup to inkscape... It was very entertaining and instructive to make

Last edited:
Oh, Jesus. Well, at least ITTL the United States has learned from the example. I'm surprised that a Constitutional amendment was ratified by enough states to go into effect after just two-and-a-half months!

Only 4 states ratified by March of 2018. 29 states took action these past few months after another shooting and much debate over the issues (many were stuck in committees and tied up in legal affairs). The 33rd state needed for ratification, Ohio, did so with effect on 1 Jan 2019.

Only 4 states ratified by March of 2018. 29 states took action these past few months after another shooting and much debate over the issues (many were stuck in committees and tied up in legal affairs). The 33rd state needed for ratification, Ohio, did so with effect on 1 Jan 2019.
Oh, I see. So the amendment had already been introduced, but wasn't widely ratified until after the shooting.

EDIT: @Kanan which states are most steadfastly against the amendment?

Oh, I see. So the amendment had already been introduced, but wasn't widely ratified until after the shooting.

Until after the second shooting - correct. Before it there was estimated to be around 10 or so states that would have signed it in the spring legislative session (President Rubio was known for supporting the measure in the spring). A second assault (in July of 2018) acted as a catalyst for more states to push the legislation through.

Status
Not open for further replies.