Status
Not open for further replies.
Broke: Jeb Memes
Woke: Lowell Weicker's 800-year-old brain in a jar, serving as a minister.
MP Lowell Weiker speaks with students at an archeological dig in New New Haven, CT (2674, colourized)
020.jpg

On the subject of ol' Weiks though, is there much precedent amongst parliamentary democracies for former Prime Ministers to serve in the cabinets of future PMs, let alone to not resign once a new leader is chosen? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Additionally, @Kanan, not to be that guy again but the List of PMs of New England has Geoff Regan listed as the MP for Halifax West, MA as opposed to NS and while as a fellow Haligonian I would love to be a Massachusettsian as well, it would be something to fix if and when you add Elinor Carbone to the list.

Bulldoggus

Banned
@Seef there isn’t much prescedent, but it isn’t unheard of. Heath would have certainly been Tory cabinets after his leadership if it hadn’t been for the mutual loathing between himself and Maggie.

MP Lowell Weiker speaks with students at an archeological dig in New New Haven, CT (2674, colourized)
020.jpg

On the subject of ol' Weiks though, is there much precedent amongst parliamentary democracies for former Prime Ministers to serve in the cabinets of future PMs, let alone to not resign once a new leader is chosen? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Additionally, @Kanan, not to be that guy again but the List of PMs of New England has Geoff Regan listed as the MP for Halifax West, MA as opposed to NS and while as a fellow Haligonian I would love to be a Massachusettsian as well, it would be something to fix if and when you add Elinor Carbone to the list.

The MP list will be updated soonly, thanks for pointing it out.

Lowell Weicker is, pretty much, breaking all the norms here. His case is not the norm across any Westminster system or parliamentary democracy. It was a pretty big scandal after his defeat when he announced he would run for re-election in the next election after retiring to the backbenches. People in his riding didn't particularity care, so he came back again, and again, and again, and again, and again to become New England's longest serving MP. He is the longest serving MP by continuous service, at 63 years and 25 days, of any legislator in any Parliamentary Democracy.

is there much precedent amongst parliamentary democracies for former Prime Ministers to serve in the cabinets of future PMs, let alone to not resign once a new leader is chosen? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
@Seef there isn’t much prescedent, but it isn’t unheard of. Heath would have certainly been Tory cabinets after his leadership if it hadn’t been for the mutual loathing between himself and Maggie.

Also worth noting that Alec Douglas-Home served in Heath's cabinet as Foreign Secretary, though he did return to the House of Lords not long after that.

Can we not spam this thread with Jeb memes please?
You wound me; I'll have you know I made that meme myself as OC for a joke post, far above spamming. :p

Also not to sound too ignorant here, but when will leadership elections start for the parties out of power?

020.jpg

E T E R N A L W E I K E R

You wound me; I'll have you know I made that meme myself as OC for a joke post, far above spamming. :p

Also not to sound too ignorant here, but when will leadership elections start for the parties out of power?

That makes it even better!

Labour will choose an interim leader if they cannot hold an election before Parliament is seated. The Greens leadership election is this weekend.

Joe Kennedy III is pretty much one of the few guys that are more towards the left that remain in the Labour Party, correct? Honestly with Trudeau out (which would have been the logical choice in the first place), maybe Kennedy would be a good choice.

In all honesty though, i can't help but think, if Sanders had become leader, that Labour would have gotten at least 80 seats (even if some of the more moderate voters weren't happy with it), simply cause they would have gotten at least 35% of the vote, especially in a first past the post.

Joe Kennedy III is pretty much one of the few guys that are more towards the left that remain in the Labour Party, correct? Honestly with Trudeau out (which would have been the logical choice in the first place), maybe Kennedy would be a good choice.

In all honesty though, i can't help but think, if Sanders had become leader, that Labour would have gotten at least 80 seats (even if some of the more moderate voters weren't happy with it), simply cause they would have gotten at least 35% of the vote, especially in a first past the post.

He is a bit on the left, and currently the left-most leaning Kennedy in Parliament (Note that Patrick Kennedy is a Conservative). There's not really a deep bench for them to pick from. Word on the street is that Maggie Hassan, Chris Mattei, and David Cicilline are looking at the leadership race.

Had Sanders become leader, it's not really known how well they would do. Some interesting alt-history to explore here!

What are the vote tallies in Elizabeth May's former seat?

RIDING of PORTLAND
LABOUR - 10,568 (31.30%)
GREEN - 9,263 (27.44%)
CONSERVATIVE - 6,633 (19.65%)
SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC - 3,519 (10.42%)
FRANCOPHONE - 3,325 (9.85%)
OTHERS - 452 (1.34%)

Bulldoggus

Banned
Interesting list, beyond a doubt. A few notes.
  1. Those urban machines really do hold strong for Labour, hell, they keep it alive.
  2. That is a right-wing Labour party there, although I did find a couple moves there (Capuano stays Labour whilst Chokeley goes SocDem?)
  3. The Social Democratic growth has been wide but not deep. If they're not careful and diligent, they could conceivably crumple outside Vermont and the leftier wards of Brooklyn.
  4. So Salazar holds a seat now? I thought she lost to Bush.
  5. Sunununununununununununununununununu
  6. The MP of my home riding, Jon Purcell, has a truly appalling hairpiece.
  7. So I've been thinking about where I'd go to college in this TL. So, IOTL I'm at Fordham, but that's obviously less likely because ITTL that would be over the border. I chose Fordham over Union, so I was curious, is Union (or some very close equivalent) a thing ITTL? Actually, more generally, what is the college system like in New England, and how does it diverge from IOTL?

He is a bit on the left, and currently the left-most leaning Kennedy in Parliament (Note that Patrick Kennedy is a Conservative). There's not really a deep bench for them to pick from. Word on the street is that Maggie Hassan, Chris Mattei, and David Cicilline are looking at the leadership race.

Had Sanders become leader, it's not really known how well they would do. Some interesting alt-history to explore here!

RIDING of PORTLAND
LABOUR - 10,568 (31.30%)
GREEN - 9,263 (27.44%)
CONSERVATIVE - 6,633 (19.65%)
SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC - 3,519 (10.42%)
FRANCOPHONE - 3,325 (9.85%)
OTHERS - 452 (1.34%)

Geeze, I mean even out of the slim pickings remaining in Labour that isn't entirely an inspiring list of candidates. I mean i don't know how prominent they are in this tl but based on otl, they seem rather minor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.