Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still wondering what idiot politician decided the Zollverein flag should have a map on it. It's one of the crimes against vexillolatry!

Edit: in fact I'm wondering how that flag came to be. OTL when the EEC became the EU it adopted the flag of the Council of Europe, a similar design was used for the Western European Union that evolved from the Western Union aka Brussels Treaty Organisation that preceded NATO.
TTL the flag would likely have been formed after the German Civil War and expansion of the Zv to non former empire states (previously the customs mark would have included the reichsadler).
Blue would be a natural colour versus the Communist/Soviet Red but the design seems odd. I could possibly see them coming to same conclusion of using 12 points to represent unity in the way a clockface does and I could see the customs mark using a map but fully converting the customs mark to flag seems odd.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering what idiot politician decided the Zollverein flag should have a map on it. It's one of the crimes against vexillolatry!

Edit: in fact I'm wondering how that flag came to be. OTL when the EEC became the EU it adopted the flag of the Council of Europe, a similar design was used for the Western European Union that evolved from the Western Union aka Brussels Treaty Organisation that preceded NATO.
TTL the flag would likely have been formed after the German Civil War and expansion of the Zv to non former empire states (previously the customs mark would have included the reichsadler).
Blue would be a natural colour versus the Communist/Soviet Red but the design seems odd. I could possibly see them coming to same conclusion of using 12 points to represent unity in the way a clockface does and I could see the customs mark using a map but fully converting the customs mark to flag seems odd.

Well, given that it was originally a custom’s union the most wide-spread symbol of Zollverein would’ve been it’s custom mark. Then when they were deciding on a flag design they integrated that symbol. I thought it was odd the Zollverein’s flag featured a circle of stars when NE’s flag did too (or vice-versa depending on who’s flag came first) but in OTL New Zealand and Australia have similar flags, and Indonesia and Monaco have the same exact flag, so it happens.

I decided the Zollverein flag was too awful so made this from scratch:
Zollverein.png

And a summary:

Zollverein3.png

Please comment!

EDIT: just to be clear, these are suggestions, not a replacement of Kanan's work. Since I've managed to confuse some people I'll hold off until Kanan herself comments or makes requests.

Last edited:
My problem with all of those is that I feel like the eagle is a little too on the nose about German dominance. The existing flag shows a union of countries, Germany as well as everyone else. The eagle seems to state that Germany is the dominant country presiding over the others.

I like the top two best.
Thanks.

My problem with all of those is that I feel like the eagle is a little too on the nose about German dominance. The existing flag shows a union of countries, Germany as well as everyone else. The eagle seems to state that Germany is the dominant country presiding over the others.
Well it is the Zollverein. Only stopped being German after their Civil War. The Reichsadler has been recoloured in "European Blue" and isn't crowned so it's not German/Austrian but European.

I basically went: it's a customs union, what's on the money?
I got a little obsessed making exactly 12 oak leaves. Might have a play tomorrow shrinking them down abit!

Thanks.

Well it is the Zollverein. Only stopped being German after their Civil War. The Reichsadler has been recoloured in "European Blue" and isn't crowned so it's not German/Austrian but European.

I basically went: it's a customs union, what's on the money?
I got a little obsessed making exactly 12 oak leaves. Might have a play tomorrow shrinking them down abit!
Dont mean to pop your bubble but there should be 13... did you forget Lichtenstein?

Dont mean to pop your bubble but there should be 13... did you forget Lichtenstein?
No I was using the same reason the Council of Europe did with the 12 stars -
"Against the blue sky of the Western world, the stars represent the peoples of Europe in a circle, a symbol of unity. Their number shall be invariably set at twelve, the symbol of completeness and perfection.
— Council of Europe. Paris, 7–9 December 1955"

I find his tone is too dominant for that, he also never asked if it was okay to suggest something... but that's just my opinion
Perhaps if you reread my original posts with a different tone in mind?
I apologise if I've come across "dominant" rather than anything else. I was merely attempting to show what I thought could replace a rather ghastly flag. To show my opinion on a possible improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.