OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

These two links are very important too:
Pre 1900:
http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/resources/pre1900mapdump

Post 1900:
http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/resources/post_1900_w

-- Mind, I can't help feeling this won't work considering the sheer time we've been debating it.

If manage to get the ancient versions off the main page it would really help, especially for new people. They dont know which map is the best and newest version to use. They dont know about the wiki either.

Last edited:
Stop. The two links posted there are included within my singular link, and my singular link also includes things much further updated. Additionally, even better maps are present in the 550BC through modern day thread. Posting the worst of three sets is completely pointless.

I don't think this thread is necessary, since you can just go on to the wiki or to one of the other OTL map threads, but here is where the most up-to-date basemaps are.

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/resources/otl_map_database

The worlda maps here are all the most up to date versions

Newbies dont know about the wiki and are not going to search in a 200 page thread for the 'most up to date basemaps'. They open the thread and see basemaps from 2007, and they use those, why? Because they are on the first page. That's why we need a new thread.

Newbies dont know about the wiki and are not going to search in a 200 page thread for the 'most up to date basemaps'. They open the thread and see basemaps from 2007, and they use those, why? Because they are on the first page. That's why we need a new thread.

Which is why, IMHO, we simply need a short stickied stub informing people of the wiki Hubs (Base Map and OTL Map) and then desticky some of the current threads rather than having yet another one up here.

We did in fact discuss doing a new basemap thread a while back, and came to the conclusion that based on how frequently we're applying patches (In the process of doing a map of 1885 for example I've essentially redrawn the entre South Pacific) the maps at the start of the thread would very quickly become very outdated. Hence we use the basemap thread for discussion and post finished work on the wiki.

So no, posting all those maps from the wiki in this thread is not very helpful at all because you just perpetuate the issue rather than solving it.

Which is why, IMHO, we simply need a short stickied stub informing people of the wiki Hubs (Base Map and OTL Map) and then desticky some of the current threads rather than having yet another one up here.

We did in fact discuss doing a new basemap thread a while back, and came to the conclusion that based on how frequently we're applying patches (In the process of doing a map of 1885 for example I've essentially redrawn the entre South Pacific) the maps at the start of the thread would very quickly become very outdated. Hence we use the basemap thread for discussion and post finished work on the wiki.

So no, posting all those maps from the wiki in this thread is not very helpful at all because you just perpetuate the issue rather than solving it.

Which is why I am not following Partypiratists his orders.

So why is there no stickied 'map wiki hub' on this page and why are the old, super ancient outdated threads still stickied? What's stopping it? At there should be moderator able to unsticky all those uneeded threads.

Yes I think the wiki is more suited to stand as a centralized hub for all graphics resources (not just maps, also tutorials and links) and stickied forum threads need to reflect this. Threads are very bad for finding specific items.

Which is why I am not following Partypiratists his orders.

So why is there no stickied 'map wiki hub' on this page and why are the old, super ancient outdated threads still stickied? What's stopping it? At there should be moderator able to unsticky all those uneeded threads.

It's a one-step thing though not a two-step. There's no value to unstickying the current depositories before we've got the replacement system ready to step in immediately. Partially it's because the discussion on that got buried beneath discussion on map creation. Partially there was a desire to have the wiki better organised and updated first (which it now is but I'm pretty sure wasn't at the time). Partially it's because there wasn't agreement on how to reorganise the stickies (I think it was before the BaM/MaG split as well which lessened the situation somewhat for a while) in the wider community though those of us actually working on the basemaps had already reached agreement on the futility of a new thread. Personally I also think that the stub thread should be posted by a mod and then locked (like the thread on Evolutionary/Geological PoDs in pre 1900) rather than created by someone else and stickied.

It's a one-step thing though not a two-step. There's no value to unstickying the current depositories before we've got the replacement system ready to step in immediately. Partially it's because the discussion on that got buried beneath discussion on map creation. Partially there was a desire to have the wiki better organised and updated first (which it now is but I'm pretty sure wasn't at the time). Partially it's because there wasn't agreement on how to reorganise the stickies (I think it was before the BaM/MaG split as well which lessened the situation somewhat for a while) in the wider community though those of us actually working on the basemaps had already reached agreement on the futility of a new thread. Personally I also think that the stub thread should be posted by a mod and then locked (like the thread on Evolutionary/Geological PoDs in pre 1900) rather than created by someone else and stickied.

Any chance there is a mod following this thread? ;)

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Any chance there is a mod following this thread? ;)
Actually since there has been a report there is now.

I agree that there are way too many threads stickied. Problem is that all seem to have purpose.

Be glad to unstick all of them if they are causing discord.

Life's too short & all that.

Actually since there has been a report there is now.

I agree that there are way too many threads stickied. Problem is that all seem to have purpose.

Be glad to unstick all of them if they are causing discord.

Life's too short & all that.

Hereby, I formally request unstickying the following threads in the Maps and Graphics forum:

All the OTL Maps from 500 CE to 2007
Map Series Thread
A Blank Map Thread
Base Maps from 550 CE to 2007, all in UCS

which will all be replaced by this thread, and another Blank Map Thread. However, these two will only serve for discussion and the finished works will be updated on the Wiki, to which newbies (and some "oldies) must be convienently redirected.

The Map Series will now go in the regular Map Thread.

Unstick any other thread at your discretion...

Can you do all this formally, with the tools and power of moderation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hereby, I formally request unstickying the following threads in the Maps and Graphics forum:

All the OTL Maps from 500 CE to 2007
Map Series Thread
A Blank Map Thread
Base Maps from 550 CE to 2007, all in UCS

which will all be replaced by this thread, and another Blank Map Thread. However, these two will only serve for discussion and the finished works will be updated on the Wiki, to which newbies (and some "oldies) must be convienently redirected.

The Map Series will now go in the regular Map Thread.

Unstick any other thread at your discretion...

Can you do all this formally, with the tools and power of moderation?

No. This thread serves no real purpose, and new threads simply perpetuates the current problems rather than giving an actual solution. They should be replaced with a single stub thread containing links to the wiki's Blank Map Directory, Revised Worlda Database and the Resources Hub. Links to those threads can also be put in with emphasis on the fact that they are discussion threads (you could add the QBAM work updating thread as well). Except the Map Series thread, that's got absolutely nothing to do with this at all.

We do not need new discussion threads if these aren't stickied at the top of the page, and causing abrupt breaks in the ongoing discussion from the current basemap workthread is not a good idea either.

See? That's already bloody outdated! That is most certainly not the most recent 1000 AD map; maybe not even the second most recent.
Just out of curiosity, how come India's colour has been changed?
Assuming you're talking about the map I posted, 'tis because the darker purple is for Muslim Indias and the lighter Hindu. Our modern India is a bit more tolerant then that, so gets 'Other India' colour. At least, as far as I know.

Side-note: Which piece of literature is your location referencing?

Last edited: