OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

Just a random webfind:
alps2.jpg

Florida not being alligators is baffling to me

But on the other hand I can totally see the headline “Florida man dies after trying to eat entire nest of fire ants”

Maybe because people in Florida might expect alligators to be dangerous but non-venomous insects to be less so. And the map says that it depicts death couses above the national average. Maybe there are numerous deaths by alligator in Florida but Missouri and Illinois raise the median so much that Florida just happens to be below the average, who knows? (well, apparently the map makers would know)

next map rather unrelated:

korridor.jpg

A question, I am trying to find a detailed map of all administrative divisions of Apartheid South Africa, but I was unable to find them (only for South West Africa/Namibia), so for my large map I am simply using modern-day subdivisions but with only the four provinces highlighted as first-level divisions.

However, is this electoral map showing the second-level administrative subdivisions of Apartheid South Africa, or is it just an electoral map? do not even get start with trying to find maps of the internal subdivisions of the Bantustans, these seem to be the hardest of them all to find

684px-South_Africa_1992_referendum_results_by_region.svg.png

Crazy Boris

Banned
unknown.png

Updated QBAM present day map

List of updates from my last one:

-Russo-Ukrainian War
-Hans Island split
-Pakistan claim on Junagadh
-New Indonesian Provinces in Papua
-New Ethiopian regions
-New Kazakhstan Regions
-New Philippine Provinces
-Wa State de facto independence
-Myanmar rebel control
-Afghan resistance
-Yemen Civil War
-Ethiopia Civil War
-Somalia Civil War
-Sudan Civil War
-South Sudan Civil War
-Boko Haram
-Mali Civil War
-Cabp Delgado Insurgency
-CAR civil war
-Red Dragon rebels
-Kivu rebels
-Zapatistas

Attachment-1 (8).jpeg

(Probably) the best Iranian linguistic map on the internet. Even as a person who is highly interested in the country, I never knew here were so many ethnicities in Iran.

Last edited:
I never knew the north east and isolated areas near Pakistan were Kurdish. What is somali doing in Iran? im scared now tbh

The reason that there are Kurdish areas up there is because they were deported: in the early-to-mid 1500s, Esmail I and Tahmasp I, of the Safavid dynasty, transported hundreds of Kurds to Khorasan. There are now about 1 million of them in a total population of 83 million.

As for the Somalis...I couldn't find anything about them.

The reason that there are Kurdish areas up there is because they were deported: in the early-to-mid 1500s, Esmail I and Tahmasp I, of the Safavid dynasty, transported hundreds of Kurds to Khorasan. There are now about 1 million of them in a total population of 83 million.

As for the Somalis...I couldn't find anything about them.
Slavery.

Attachment-1_11_2_32.jpeg

A large Geological Map of Iran made in the 1950s...there's a 3D version of it somewhere in the world, but you can't find it anywhere. It's incredibly detailed, but, unfortunately, due to the image size limit, you can't see all of it.

Major Non-NATO allies of the US (source: @AnnelleSheline, twiter)
View attachment 779268
Afghanistan is no longer designated as an ally.
That depends. The U.S. does not recognize the Taliban government. So in essence, the "Islamic Republic of Afghanistan" is still recognized as an ally, not the Islamic Emirate.

Also not in the list is Saudi Arabia which is an ally and partner but has not been designated as a MNNA.

That depends. The U.S. does not recognize the Taliban government. So in essence, the "Islamic Republic of Afghanistan" is still recognized as an ally, not the Islamic Emirate.

Also not in the list is Saudi Arabia which is an ally and partner but has not been designated as a MNNA.
CNN disagrees.

Which name for Occitan?

Occitan (and its dialects) isn't spoken by many people in France anymore, and many of its remaining speakers are old and do not recognise their mother tongue as being Occitan first of all.

This map, based on a number of surveys done over the past 20 years, depicts the relative popularity of Occitan compared to 'Patois' (meaning dialect, vernacular, a word with usually mild negative connotations in France, but not everywhere, like in the Antilles) as well as the other main names used by the locals and the occitanophone to name their local language, as every studies show a widespread agreement on the name "Occitan" for the group of languages spoken in southern France.
g3.png

Patois is usually slightly prefered by older persons and by native speakers across most regions. As one can see Occitan is usually prefered within the borders of historical Languedoc; In Creuse, Creusois is more popular than Occitan.

Sources:
LANGUE OCCITANE :ÉTAT DES LIEUX 2020, the most recent region-wide study on occitan in Occitanie and Nouvelle-Aquitaine
complemented with
PERCEPTIONS DE LA LANGUE OCCITANE (2008, Aquitaine and 2010, Midi-Pyrenées)

Le volet linguistique du recensement français de 1999 résultats et analyse appliqués à la Provence plurilingue et au provençal; 2003, based on the widest study of occitan.
Francoprovençal et occitan en Rhône-Alpes, 2009
présence, les pratiques et la perception de la langue béarnaise / gasconne / occitane sur le territoire des Pyrénées‐Atlantiques; 2018, specifically about Bearn
Le dialecte niçois : usage consacré et parler de la rue, 2014
PRATIQUES ET REPRÉSENTATIONS DES LANGUES RÉGIONALES EN AUVERGNE, 2006

Last edited: