OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

We need more my OTL maps!
de1ltxp-51f2bd69-8a63-4d70-8b95-e9a5297dc87d.png

de1m026-e79fb9ea-4dd2-43e4-9178-f5394554b6b7.png

blank linguistic map of Europe with country borders.... (map is editable)
This is an interesting mix of very modern lines and ancient lines. Also a lot of back-and-forth on representing presence of minorities over majorities.

Some examples:
in France occitan has been virtually extinct for decades, and even when it was still was spoken it's been a minority language for over century in its own heartland. Alsacian has a much smaller range and is a minority language, not a majority.

Meanwhile, Russian is underrepresented in Ukraine, Kurdish and others are underrepresented in Syria, Non-arabic is also absent in North Africa. Maybe have africa/middle east be a different color if you're excluding them and only doing Europe.

Last edited:
Seen at reddit:

VCNDjP00tDc5QG6SPPP45aIUyfjKMJMm-TnEMhBsoqA.jpg

Despite being a Germanophone map this 1847 one does show significantly less German settlement in Eastern Europe than what later on Imperial (and Nazi) Germany would depict (although it does seem to place the Dutch in the German language continuum).

If the image didn't work here is the link:

3T-xN-eTw92_dD2ZhHxZ5555b.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
least populated US.png

least populated canada.png

A couple maps I put together of the least populated municpalities (unincorporated communities are excluded) in Canada and the United States by Province/Territory/State

Crazy Boris

Banned
Somebody from HGO bought all the maps and released them for public use, should I post the Drive link here?

I’ve been trying to find these maps for years (and have managed to find about 20 of them). I’d really appreciate being able to have the rest of them on hand, they’re incredibly useful.

I’ve been trying to find these maps for years (and have managed to find about 20 of them). I’d really appreciate being able to have the rest of them on hand, they’re incredibly useful.
Seconded. They're great basemaps for virtually anything.

Crazy Boris

Banned
(The high resolution ones are marked as .gif)

These are awesome and I really can't thank you enough, but with a lot of the larger-scale PDF files (such as the continental-scale maps of Africa and Oceania), the text is hard to read and blurry even zoomed in 1000%, is there a way to fix this?

These are awesome and I really can't thank you enough, but with a lot of the larger-scale PDF files (such as the continental-scale maps of Africa and Oceania), the text is hard to read and blurry even zoomed in 1000%, is there a way to fix this?
I’ve never encountered that problem when opening the PDFs, so I don’t know unfortunately

Crazy Boris

Banned
I’ve never encountered that problem when opening the PDFs, so I don’t know unfortunately
I’ll experiment with opening them up in different programs, maybe it’s a problem with my default. Alternatively, is there a way to turn PDFs into images so I can view them normally?

Last edited:
I’ll experiment with opening them up in different programs, maybe it’s a problem with my default. Alternatively, is there a way to turn PDFs into images so I can view them normally?
I just take screencaps and use those instead of just converting them... I haven’t been able to find any good converters out there