OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

now with updated wars and more claims™

upload_2018-4-23_21-57-0.png

now with updated wars and more claims™

View attachment 383618
Probably should do something with Myanmar, even if their fifty year civil war is winding down and, as always, has been the central government doing all the attacking. Maybe also added the Special Economic Zones to China? And if the Syrian claim to the Golan Heights is shown, maybe their claim to Hatay should be as well. I also think the grey line around Tyrol is too long. If it were erased it would show East Tyrol and North Tyrol as connected, with they are not in real life. I am imaging some of those pixels should be black. And I can't tell from my screen, but is Greenland and the Faroes a slightly different shade of blue from Denmark? As it should be, of course. And does the UAE still claim that bit of land the Saudis bullied out of them? And did the Chinese get that bit of Bhutan they claimed? This is the first map I have seen showing them owning it, rather than claiming it. Ahh, and Rocksll isn't shown. A very minor island (or sea rock), but having it is an easy way for people making AltHist maps to wank Ireland. Ahhh, and Bourgainville in Palau New Guinea is autonomous, as is an island inthe Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

Last edited:
For etymology maps, have now some Jaws

sharkmap.jpg

Personally I think the Welsh morgi looks somewhat cute, but given that it is Welsh this word might be pronounced completely different

Probably should do something with Myanmar, even if their fifty year civil war is winding down and, as always, has been the central government doing all the attacking. Maybe also added the Special Economic Zones to China? And if the Syrian claim to the Golan Heights is shown, maybe their claim to Hatay should be as well. I also think the grey line around Tyrol is too long. If it were erased it would show East Tyrol and North Tyrol as connected, with they are not in real life. I am imaging some of those pixels should be black. And I can't tell from my screen, but is Greenland and the Faroes a slightly different shade of blue from Denmark? As it should be, of course. And does the UAE still claim that bit of land the Saudis bullied out of them? And did the Chinese get that bit of Bhutan they claimed? This is the first map I have seen showing them owning it, rather than claiming it. Ahh, and Rocksll isn't shown. A very minor island (or sea rock), but having it is an easy way for people making AltHist maps to wank Ireland. Ahhh, and Bourgainville in Palau New Guinea is autonomous, as is an island inthe Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The Chinese SEZs shouldn't be shown, since the central government in Beijing granted itself the power to make decisions that normally belong to the provincial government, and China isn't the only country to have created such zones.

I made this Roman expansion map using the QBAM. I like the format and I've been working to correct errors and improve the color scheme, but I'm not totally satisfied yet. Macedonia especially needs more nuance.

Edit: There are actually several rather careless areas that will require more reading on my part to correct. Besides Macedonia, Spain and Cisalpine Gaul are kind of a mess. I need to confirm what it shows in Africa. Consider this a WIP.

rome expansion flat.png

Last edited:
I made this Roman expansion map using the QBAM. I like the format and I've been working to correct errors and improve the color scheme, but I'm not totally satisfied yet. Macedonia especially needs more nuance.

Edit: There are actually several rather careless areas that will require more reading on my part to correct. Besides Macedonia, Spain and Cisalpine Gaul are kind of a mess. I need to confirm what it shows in Africa. Consider this a WIP.

View attachment 395814
Great!

View attachment 396060
Good map. Most noticable: Arabian coast 25 BC??

Good map. Most noticable: Arabian coast 25 BC??

That's the campaign of Aelius Gallus. It was a total failure, so I wasn't going to include it, but he did capture some towns on the way and so it falls under a broad definition of "temporary conquest." When I made the key bigger and found that it extended the map exactly that far to the south, I decided that I may as well include that expedition.

I'm continuing to tweak the map. It's difficult sometimes to say when exactly an area was Romanized. In almost every territory that Rome conquered, it spent time as a client state before being completely annexed. Clientage meant very different levels of independence depending on the time and place, so it's a judgment call when to call a place "Roman". In general the map shows annexation, but that seems misleading in some cases.

Here's a somewhat fine-tuned map. I'm still not completely happy using annexation as the main criterion, but I don't know of any better way to show it that's anything but "when False Dmitri feels like considering it Roman." The one exception is Crimea, which was not annexed until the 6th century. The date indicates the arrival of a permanent Roman garrison. This may be a better criterion to use, but it's difficult to find that information in all cases.

rome expansion flat.png

Last edited: