OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by SaveAtlacamani, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Alex Richards Still, at least we're not Heanor UDC Donor

The Malvern Hills are given a mountain overlay.

I mean don't get me wrong, they're rather prominent from the landscape, but they're not exactly mountains.
    [​IMG]

2. VT45 Cartographer Extraordinaire

Languages of the British Isles and the Channel Islands.
    [​IMG]

3. Utgard96 Chattanooga or Bust

What does the blue signify, and why is it anywhere near as strong in northeast Scotland as it is in North Wales?

4. VT45 Cartographer Extraordinaire

They're two different shades of blue. The blue in Wales is the Welsh language, and the blue in Scotland is the Scots language.

5. Utgard96 Chattanooga or Bust

It's not a great colour scheme then, what with Welsh being significantly less clear despite being significantly more spoken. Also, how are you even defining Scots? It's not a very cohesive thing as far as everyday speech goes.

6. Clandango Well-Known Member

is Gaelic really that prevalent in Ireland? The majority seems to be green-majority striped. Rather more than I expected, though I suppose that those areas are mostly the countryside and spots far from English and Scottish colonies anyways. Almost ominous how pink the Highlands are, though Lowland Scots and Highlander Chiefs are more to blame for the depopulation of the area than the English.

7. VT45 Cartographer Extraordinaire

Hey, they're both that way in the UCS.

As for Scots, I'm using the demographic data found on Wikipedia, coming directly from the 2011 census data. So basically it's defined by whether or not people say they speak Scots or English.

Utgard96 likes this.
  8. Clandango Well-Known Member

Aaaah, right. Scots of the Lowlanders if Germanic, while the Highlanders spoke Gaelic Scots. I would be surprised if the first Scots was still around, given how it had centuries to integrate into British English.

9. Utgard96 Chattanooga or Bust

I assume it's from the RoI census proficiency figures, which are, AFAIK, self-selected. And since Irish is taught in school in the RoI, a lot of people would be inclined to think they're proficient.

KorgusCyborgus, VT45 and Clandango like this.
  10. Alex Richards Still, at least we're not Heanor UDC Donor

UCS doesn't really work when you're doing that sort of fine pattern effect, it was never designed with Linguistic maps in mind (in which case we'd have gone with a very different colour scheme).

Utgard96 and Clandango like this.
  11. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

I'd go further, and say for any context in which gradient differences between multiple points are required, no standard colour scheme can universally cover every scenario, or even merely the more well-documented OTL scenarios. Something as basic as expressing level of support for various parties in multi-party democracies will require serious compromises in what is actually shown. Throw in linguistic and religious maps (the other two data sets most commonly drawn with gradients), and it's an impossible task for any standard colour scheme to represent with gradients.

Utgard96 likes this.
  12. VT45 Cartographer Extraordinaire

Sorry, been a bit out of the loop on that. What's the accepted colour scheme for languages?

13. Thande At the psephological moment Donor

I think it's a bit confusing to use the same colour for Welsh and Scots. Welsh and Scots Gaelic would make some degree of sense, but not Scots. I assume there isn't data for Northern Ireland or you could use one colour for Scots and Ulster Scots.

14. VT45 Cartographer Extraordinaire

There is data, but no municipality had more than 20% reporting speaking Ulster Scots, which kinda surprised me.

15. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

I don't think there is one. In as much as there is any, it generally seems to be "from the colour scheme of your choice, use the national colour corresponding to the primary (historically-speaking) country that uses that language". However, none of these really work when striping is considered as a method of displaying primary/secondary language usage.

16. Alex Richards Still, at least we're not Heanor UDC Donor

There isn't one, a lot of people try applying the relevant national colour from one scheme or another, but you'd be better off just doing your own one.

They are actually different- RCS Purple Wales and Blue Scotland, the problem is that you really can't tell this at all when you then crosshatch everything with British Pink.

Utgard96 likes this.
  17. VT45 Cartographer Extraordinaire

Cool. I'll tweak it.

18. BryanIII Well-Known Member

So uhm... legit question, is Manx like extinct or what gives!?

19. Alex Richards Still, at least we're not Heanor UDC Donor

It's very moribund, they're attempting a revival at the moment, but you'd probably need to include things like Punjabi or Kashmiri in Leicester or Birmingham if you were going to include it.

20. VT45 Cartographer Extraordinaire

Only 2% of the population of the Isle of Man speaks Manx.