OTL Election maps resources thread

The election we've all been waiting for.

St Kitts & Nevis.png

Sources: Results · Constituency boundaries · Colour scheme

Well, here's something.

Vermont's Democratic Gubernatorial Primary in 2010 was a tight four-way race, with eventual three-term governor Peter Shumlin eking out a win due to his strength in the usually progressive county of Windham, as well as remaining competitive in the rest of the state.

Peter Shumlin: 18,276 (24.8%) -- VT Senate President Pro Tempore
Doug Racine: 18,079 (24.6%) -- state senator, fmr. Lt. Governor
Deborah Markowitz: 17,579 (23.9%) -- VT Sec. of State
Matt Dunne: 15,323 (20.8%) -- Google exec, fmr. state senator
Susan Bartlett: 3,759 (5.1%) -- state senator

VT 2010 Dem Gov .png

Last week's Democratic Primary for Senator in TN, where DSA-backed Marquita Bradshaw won (after spending $5,778 compared to establishment-backed Mackler's $1.5 million) in a surprise upset.

Marquita Bradshaw (117,389 votes, 35.5%)
Robin Kimbrough (87,965 votes, 26.6%)
James Mackler (78,515 votes, 23.8%)
Gary Davis (30,673 votes, 9.3%)

Made with mapchart, results from NYT.

m6UHiB6.png

I might have just ended up redoing an election that's been done in the past, but since I hadn't seen it before and Wikipedia had an easily editable map of Greek regions sitting there I mapped the January 2015 Greek election.

1599404001147.png

I tried to make it so the islands that are part of the numerous seats can all have their majority colour changed with one mouse click. If anyone wants to use it as a basemap themselves they're welcome to!

Last edited:
Results of the 30 August referendums in Liechtenstein by municipality.
  • HalbeHalbe: a proposal to promote "[t]he balanced representation of women and men in political bodies"
  • Doppelte Staatsbürgerschaft: a proposal to allow dual citizenship
  • S-Bahn: a proposal to dual track the Tisis–Nendeln railway
I should note that the election website claims that the Rheinau-Tentscha exclave is part of the municipality of Mauren, even though from what I can tell from Wikipedia it's part of Eschen, so I coloured it based on the results in Eschen.

Sources:
https://www.abstimmungen.li/resultatestart/27
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Liechtenstein_referendum

WbQ1Ofx.png

Results of the 30 August referendums in Liechtenstein by municipality.
  • HalbeHalbe: a proposal to promote "[t]he balanced representation of women and men in political bodies"
  • Doppelte Staatsbürgerschaft: a proposal to allow dual citizenship
  • S-Bahn: a proposal to dual track the Tisis–Nendeln railway
I should note that the election website claims that the Rheinau-Tentscha exclave is part of the municipality of Mauren, even though from what I can tell from Wikipedia it's part of Eschen, so I coloured it based on the results in Eschen.

Sources:
https://www.abstimmungen.li/resultatestart/27
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Liechtenstein_referendum

WbQ1Ofx.png

So, what you're saying is, if I'm understanding these maps correctly, they possibly don't like those proposals, maybe? :p

The much-followed MA Democratic US Senate primary between Rep. Joe Kennedy III and incumbent Sen. Ed Markey.

Sen. Markey: 55.4%
Rep. Kennedy III: 44.5%

Perhaps the most shocking thing to me was Kennedy not sweeping all of Cape Cod. In fact, Markey won Barnstable County, and Kennedy nearly lost the town of Barnstable, where the Kennedy compound sits.

MA 2020 Democratic Senate Primary.png

The less-consequential MA Republican US Senate primary between attorney Kevin O'Connor and "creator of email" Shiva Ayyadurai.

O'Connor: 59.7%
Ayyadurai: 39.5%

MA 2020 Republican Senate Primary.png

Here's a graduated majority map of the New Zealand electorates from the general election a couple of days ago.

1603142436713.png

Apologies if the map is a little weird, I basically took the one from Wikipedia, converted it to an editable one without antialiasing with some fiddling on GIMP and Paint, and changed the inserts around a bit (I got rid of the Tauranga and Palmerston North ones since I didn't see the point in having inserts for cities that only have one electorate, and made the Wellington insert into a Wellington & Hutt insert since leaving half of Hutt out of it didn't make much sense to me). I also gave the pink scale to the Maori Party since the Greens won an electorate.

A few random observations I feel like adding:
  • The electorate results this year were almost an exact reversal of 2017, as Labour picked up 14 seats and National lost 15 (14 to Labour, and Auckland Central to the Greens). Ironically, despite Labour winning a bigger margin, they won two electorates less than in their 2002 landslide, though they won 3 times as many list seats as that election and thus won an overall majority for the first time since 1987 and the first time any party has done so since the mixed-member system was introduced in 1996 (though apparently Jacinda Ardern is likely to enter a coalition with the Greens to shore up her majority).
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time the Greens have won an electorate in New Zealand rather than just list seats at a general election?
  • Obviously you can't see on an electorate map (if anyone wants to map the List vote, I'd be curious to see it), but New Zealand First fell below the 5% threshold and lost all their seats. It makes a change to see an ardently nationalist party losing support in a recent election.
  • The Northland seat their leader, Winston Peters, won at a by-election in March 2015 and held until 2017 came less than 2% away from going Labour for the first time since 1938.
  • In general it's quite striking to me how most of the countryside was decided by margins of under 15 points (the only exceptions are Waikato for National and Whanganui for Labour), and the only rock-solid National electorates are around Auckland while the only rock-solid Labour seats are in the major cities (I'm surprised West Coast-Tasman, for example, gave Labour less than half the vote and only about a 14-point margin over National).
  • Ironically, despite their landslide Labour couldn't sweep the Maori electorates this time, and lost Waiariki to the Maori Party, which re-entered Parliament after being shut out in 2017.
  • This doesn't really have anything to do with the election, but it's very weird to me how Dunedin doesn't even have a big enough population for two seats of its own anymore. Any New Zealanders know why it's become relatively less populous in recent years?
I'd also like to give props to AJRElectionMaps and their colleague David Hoggard for their excellent series on historic New Zealand elections, which helped convince me to give mapping the current election a go.

Last edited:
  • Obviously you can't see on an electorate map (if anyone wants to map the List vote, I'd be curious to see it), but New Zealand First fell below the 5% threshold and lost all their seats. It makes a change to see an ardently nationalist party losing support in a recent election.
They lost seats because they supported Arden's government, which alienated their base. They've moved to the ACT I think.

• In general it's quite striking to me how most of the countryside was decided by margins of under 15 points (the only exceptions are Waikato for National and Whanganui for Labour), and the only rock-solid National electorates are around Auckland while the only rock-solid Labour seats are in the major cities (I'm surprised West Coast-Tasman, for example, gave Labour less than half the vote and only about a 14-point margin over National).
Democracy in action! Another thing which New Zealand has on us.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the election, but it's very weird to me how Dunedin doesn't even have a big enough population for two seats of its own anymore. Any New Zealanders know why it's become relatively less populous in recent years?
The South has been bleeding off seats for a while now. They're still represented fairly well (the number of seats in parliament is capped based on how many the South Island has, which stays constant while the total seat number changes), so I'm guessing that in Dunedin specifically, it's just that more people are moving to cities like Christchurch. I'm not a Kiwi so I'll let them explain.

Democracy in action! Another thing which New Zealand has on us.
This is highly unusual, most of the time most of the countryside is rock-solid for National. You see the same thing in reverse with places like South Auckland, so I don't really think "NZ has no safe seats" is an argument that really holds up for scrutiny.

2018 congressional districts. To my knowledge a map like this (though this is by no means perfect) hasn't really been done much.
I'll be printing this for election night. Be warned that the electoral districts for North Carolina (though similar) are outdated for 2020.
puTb0v8.png

Last edited: