OTL Election maps resources thread

Thande

Donor
UiPwjdb.png

(Source)
Interesting, I wouldn't have expected local-specific parties would be that big in the Netherlands.

Not the Chamber's uninominal districts but still interesting: how Italians abroad voted. That is, for as far as it's been counted.

Again, the three main colours are self-explanatory, but in some countries Italians voted differently:
  • In the Dominican Republic, Argentina and Uruguay, Italians voted for the Associative Movement Italians Abroad
  • In Venezuela, Paraguay and Chile, they voted for the Tricolour Union Latin America
  • And, my favourite, in Myanmar Italians voted for More Europe

rxJUzq0.png
New Zealand voting for the 5-star movement for some reason gave me a laugh.

Thande

Donor
Have finally managed converting all the data for the last 54 years' worth of London local elections to spreadsheet format.

Now I can actually make some more maps...

Here is the results of the 2017 general election on the notional boundaries of the Sixth Periodic Review of Westminster Constituencies (which will reduce the number of MPs from 650 to 600):

upload_2018-3-29_21-11-18.png

I made this map using information from this website for the actual boundaries and Electoral Calculus for the winning party in each constituency.

Here is what the actual result of the general election on these boundaries is:

Conservative: 301

Labour: 240

SNP: 31

Liberal Democrat: 7

Plaid Cymru: 2

Green: 1

Speaker: 1

Meanwhile, the results in Northern Ireland (which I haven't included in the map, as the first website, which was my source for the shape of the constituencies, did not show the updates boundaries for Northern Ireland) would be:

DUP: 10

Sinn Fein: 7

Doesn't that count as an alternate electoral map?
Now that you mention that - I'm not sure. I assumed it would qualify for this thread as it is of an OTL proposal for UK constituencies and an OTL general election. Although if it is an Alternate Election Map I will gladly delete the post and move it to the proper thread.

Now that you mention that - I'm not sure. I assumed it would qualify for this thread as it is of an OTL proposal for UK constituencies and an OTL general election. Although if it is an Alternate Election Map I will gladly delete the post and move it to the proper thread.

I say it counts as a OTL map, since I can ask OTL questions like this:

I was under the impression that the main constituency being discriminated against on the current map is the London metro, the growth in the region since the last review has left those seats overpopulated. However, with the cutting and redrawing of seats, the Tories gain seat % from about 96% of a majority to 101%. Is this because of the suburban spawl growing as well and keeping their SE seats, or is it because the map is a soft tory gerrymander? Or is it because of something else?

I also thought that the reason the review was cancelled right now was because it carved up the unionist seats in North Ireland. However, your numbers don't appear too bad for the DUP, so maybe this was political spin?

A comment - It looks like Labor won the City of London/Westminster seat on the new lines - when was the last time that happened? This is like one of the safest tory areas inside the city limits - discounting the suburbs of course.

I was under the impression that the main constituency being discriminated against on the current map is the London metro, the growth in the region since the last review has left those seats overpopulated. However, with the cutting and redrawing of seats, the Tories gain seat % from about 96% of a majority to 101%. Is this because of the suburban spawl growing as well and keeping their SE seats, or is it because the map is a soft tory gerrymander? Or is it because of something else?

London's about the only major city where the inner city seats are too large. Most of the others- especially places like Derby, Luton, Reading, Coventry and so forth- the city seats are too small so need to take in more suburban/semi-rural areas.

Also the commission's decisions on lack of ward splitting and the 5% deviation from the mean make things pretty silly in places.

Thande

Donor
A small preview of how far I have got in my London local elections project (showing 2014, but I'm doing all elections 1978-2014 at once - though some of the earlier ones need tinkering with due to inter-borough boundary shifts etc)

upload_2018-4-6_15-23-47.png

Hungary had their elections yesterday, and I don't really have much to say, since I have not followed this one as much as previous elections. (even Chile) Viktor Orban won reelection and improved on his vote share from 2014, even with record turnout. The election was marked by reports of traditional Eastern European 'campaign tactics' including vote buying. This is of course happening of Fidesz's malapportioned and gerrymandered electoral map, and by Fidesz's electoral rules, so there was never really a chance of them losing reelection. The election reminded me of Japan, with a dominant right wing party and a fragmented opposition. The electoral system is the same, the problems with apportionment and fair districts, the forced coalitions between the opposition parties to get the best chance at winning seats - it is all very similar.

8588Xt1.png

nwSsUv4.png

OzpVDa7.png

tGwPRio.png

q43yaRy.png

me: so we should probably do some reading this morning, there's two lectures today and an entire book that needs to be read by wednesday

me, two hours later:
val-1952-preview.png

Map I did for election Twitter - the 2010 Attorney General Race by Township. As I stated there, this is very relevant since the two candidates are probably going to be the two November gubernatorial ones.

Vote_Town_Countyborders.png