OTL Election maps resources thread

@Thande I'm also making a margin map, but based off of how many raw votes each candidate won the town by. To show population/where each candidate got substantially more votes compared to everyone else.

Thande

Donor
@Thande I'm also making a margin map, but based off of how many raw votes each candidate won the town by. To show population/where each candidate got substantially more votes compared to everyone else.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea, looking forward to seeing that.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea, looking forward to seeing that.
Here are both maps, side-by-side. I think the raw vote map does a better job of showing how many votes each candidate gained over the others, as well as better representing population.

NH 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary.png
NH 2020 Dem Pres Primary Raw Vote.png

Thande

Donor
Here are both maps, side-by-side. I think the raw vote map does a better job of showing how many votes each candidate gained over the others, as well as better representing population.

View attachment 523652View attachment 523651
Raw vote is definitely a good idea for something like a US state where the subdivisions don't have anything like equal electorates. I've considered myself how to do that in the past, but ended up just doing a population map alongside the usual maps. The only disadvantage to your method is you'll have to recalibrate your scale with each state's wildly different population/distribution, so it'd be hard to do a map covering more than one state at once.

Raw vote is definitely a good idea for something like a US state where the subdivisions don't have anything like equal electorates. I've considered myself how to do that in the past, but ended up just doing a population map alongside the usual maps. The only disadvantage to your method is you'll have to recalibrate your scale with each state's wildly different population/distribution, so it'd be hard to do a map covering more than one state at once.
Yeah, would be tough to see a comparison among different states. But I like this method and will probably use it for the other primaries, even if I have to change the scale.