OTL Election maps resources thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Thande, Sep 10, 2011.

1. OwenM Red Tory Scum Gone Fishin'

I'm not entirely sure I can see the difference between the SAP and Open Church colours.

2. Derper Active Member

So is the Assembly composed entirely of laity and has it always been that way?

3. Utgard96 Karlskroniter First-partiet

It is today, yes. Historically, it was formed as a replacement for the discretionary power the Estate of the Clergy had used to have over Church matters, and was composed of an equal number of clergymen and laymen (32 each). In 1949 the system was changed to 43 clergy and 57 laymen, who became more and more political as the parish councils changed into elected bodies, and in 1982 the current directly elected body of 251 members was introduced (from 2013, two of these have been elected indirectly to represent parishes abroad, which is why I'm only showing 249 seats on the maps).

Damian0358 and Derper like this.
  4. Uhura's Mazda This Absurd Society of Envy

Obligatory.

NZ GE 2017 (Electorates).png

5. Thomas Johnson Well-Known Member

2008 by CD.png
    The 2008 Democratic Party Presidential Primary by Congressional Districts (almost every state is real data from atlas). Colorado and Alabama are the only questionable ones.
    Of note is the fact that Hillary Clinton managed to win a substantial majority of congressional districts while losing the primary.

6. Thomas Johnson Well-Known Member

MO, GA and NJ were best guesses, too.

7. Oryxslayer Electoral Calculator

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

I see that the tradition of Bavaria gotta Bavaria is still going strong.

Heat likes this.
  9. shiftygiant cliquey clean Gone Fishin'

It's not like there is any other game in town. Though the CSU did absolutely die in the levelling, mind.

Heat and Analytical Engine like this.
  10. Bjornhattan World's Worst Psephologist

Looking at the map, did the Rügen CDU nominate the world's most popular candidate for the direct mandate? It looks like there's been a lot of people splitting their ticket there, and I can't see too many other examples of that.

11. Oryxslayer Electoral Calculator

Funny you should mention it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Merkel#Early_political_career

12. Oryxslayer Electoral Calculator

Wrapping up the Germany maps, unless anyone specifically wants anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    By far the most boring map, why does your vote have to be so evenly distributed FDP?​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As we can see, there was quite a lot of vote splitting between the first and second ballot, particularly in seats where an incumbent was well known/part of the government. However, it appears the SPD was the most affected by this from the maps, as left leaning voters went to one of the minor parties on the second ballot. The CSU also faced a turnout boost as voters to the right went to the AfD.

I used the margin of victory key previously used on similar maps for these two.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  13. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Is the former East Germany only able to vote for parties on the more extreme ends of politics or something? And what's with Saxony anyway?

14. Uhura's Mazda This Absurd Society of Envy

I was going to ask for Freie Wahler, but judging by your reaction to the FDP map I think it might kill you.

15. Bjornhattan World's Worst Psephologist

Are there any margin of victory maps based on state-level data?

16. Utgard96 Karlskroniter First-partiet

[​IMG]

17. Thande At the psephological moment Donor

Very good work @Oryxslayer , especially the margins of victory maps. Striking how the SPD fades in the secondary vote map compared to the first, which is pretty much the opposite of the situation with the Conservatives and Labour in London under a similar voting system (i.e. here Tory voters generally are or were more inclined than Labour ones to vote for a different party with their list vote).

18. Thande At the psephological moment Donor

Nowhere near as detailed as @Oryxslayer 's maps, but here is my own contribution to the German election mapping, using the same pie chart style as I do for London and county council elections. (Weirdly, I didn't even have to change the dates on my spreadsheets, as English county councils are elected in the same years as German federal elections...odd coincidence).

Germany list 2009-2017.png

19. Grand Prince Paul II. Xenophobic Russian Agent, pro-Europa

More dissatisfaction with the political system, less presence of the old parties.

The Bavaria of the former GDR.

Ind89 and Analytical Engine like this.
  20. Nanwe Socioliberal guay

Or rather, the Saxony of Weimar and the Empire.