OTL Election maps resources thread

Unlike unopposed elections on the council level here though, they do still actually have people voting for the one name on the day (remember there will be other offices on the ballot at the same time) and they can write-in an alternative. So I can actually produce statewide popular vote figures, I just don't quote them because they'd be a tad misleading.
Often done for internal stuff within parties (eg selection votes in Labour) - though usually with RON rather than write-ins.

Thande

Donor
2016.png

I fixed up the 2016 House election map (added PA counties and tidied up the key). Eventually, I'll do more maps like this.
Very nice work, that man. Noticeable difference between 'properly' unopposed elections and those with a third party candidate; Arkansas in particular barely stands out at all...

I have produced New Jersey General Assembly maps for 2013 and 2015. @Zaffre

Thande

Donor
On belatedly realising that NJ like WA uses the same boundaries for state house and state senate, I've also mapped the most recent election for the latter (also on the ballot this Tuesday) from 2013.

So I finished mapping the ILGA/RIWI poll's question on transgender people and it seems as though attitudes are different than on gay people. The global north has a generally less positive opinion than on gay people, but the global south is more mixed. East/South Asia and Sub Saharan Africa is more positive towards trans people, but the Middle East and North Africa is less so than gay people.

TransMap.png

So I finished mapping the ILGA/RIWI poll's question on transgender people and it seems as though attitudes are different than on gay people. The global north has a generally less positive opinion than on gay people, but the global south is more mixed. East/South Asia and Sub Saharan Africa is more positive towards trans people, but the Middle East and North Africa is less so than gay people.
Although there's obviously a massive difference between how Iranians would read that question and how an American would.

I don't know if you are aware, but someone put this map on the Wikipedia page for the Japanese General Election:
WUjGUTB.png

Bwahahaha. Guess I should have slapped my name on it - I didn't because I knew someone else had made the basemap and might have wanted to use it.

Very nice work, that man. Noticeable difference between 'properly' unopposed elections and those with a third party candidate; Arkansas in particular barely stands out at all...
As the person who made it, indeed.

I have produced New Jersey General Assembly maps for 2013 and 2015.
Nice! It'd be interesting to see elections going farther back, but you'd be hard-pressed to find all the data.

---

2014.png

2014 is done! For nominees of the same party, I tried horizontal striping (so as not to be confused with eventual ties). Differences I noticed:
  • Less unopposed districts
  • Democrats actually exist in Arkansas and North Dakota
  • Democrats in the Texas panhandle are less anemic
  • Can't see any overall swing just from the map, though the overall swing was 4.65% toward the Democrats from 2014 to 2016.

Thande

Donor
As the person who made it, indeed.
If it wasn't clear, 'well done that man' is a phrase up here used to praise someone to their face, I hadn't considered it might not come over clearly to others.

Nice! It'd be interesting to see elections going farther back, but you'd be hard-pressed to find all the data.
Yeah, often it's not so much finding the data (though that's certainly hard) as finding the boundaries.

Great work on the 2014 map. If you want to see real contrast, it might be worth doing 2008 rather than 2012 next if you have the data.

Yeah, often it's not so much finding the data (though that's certainly hard) as finding the boundaries.
Indeed; you're lucky to find boundaries before even the 2000 redistricting.

Great work on the 2014 map. If you want to see real contrast, it might be worth doing 2008 rather than 2012 next if you have the data.
The SoS' office in most states seems to go back to at least the 1990s, so data isn't a problem. I've already started on 2012, though.

I wonder if this shapes legislators' and judges' views of how districts "ought" to look. Presumably, they have better records than we do, but what if they don't? Or never bother to check?
I mean, they have old Congressional district boundaries, still, which didn't look nearly as ugly.

Anyone know where to find a map of UK constituencies in 1970 in which the constituencies are labeled? I want to make a map for a timeline I'm doing, but I am not sure which constituency is which on the basemap.