OTL Election maps resources thread

On another forum there was a joke attempt to set up a party called "Psephologists First" once which, if elected, would campaign to have all voting data as granular as possible released to mapmakers via a user-friendly website. (You can tell this is by people who make UK council election maps, can't you...)
As someone who's been doing state legislature election research for my TL and can't many times not find decent maps or result tables with vote numbers and %s from as recently as 2006, I fully support this.

As someone who's been doing state legislature election research for my TL and can't many times not find decent maps or result tables with vote numbers and %s from as recently as 2006, I fully support this.
US state legislatures? What states are you looking for results for?

Here are two more quick maps that focus on my local elections.

vswwplf.png

Here is the current party affiliation of Monroe County's mayors and supervisors (red for Republicans and blue for Democrats). The Republican machine, led by Greece town supervisor Bill Reilich, has had a pretty strong hold on the Rochester suburbs for decades. However, there have been scandals this past year that have hurt his reputation. We'll find out on Tuesday whether or not this will change anything.

1woWfPu.png

This map shows races which are being contested by multiple candidates in green (shading for third parties). I have labeled Greece with a star. This is more competitive than most years, and the first time a Republican has run for mayor of Rochester in over a decade.

Edit: removed political stuff.

Last edited:
US state legislatures? What states are you looking for results for?
More recently, basic results have been uploaded on Ballotpedia which is nice. But I'm more thinking like the Maine Secretary of State site doesn't have them before 2006 unless you specifically request them and things like that. When I made the New York D and R removed county maps I had to start with 1994 because the NY elections site doesn't have gubernatorial results before 1994 and I couldn't find anywhere else with party line breakdown by county.

More recently, basic results have been uploaded on Ballotpedia which is nice. But I'm more thinking like the Maine Secretary of State site doesn't have them before 2006 unless you specifically request them and things like that. When I made the New York D and R removed county maps I had to start with 1994 because the NY elections site doesn't have gubernatorial results before 1994 and I couldn't find anywhere else with party line breakdown by county.
Have you checked OurCampaigns?

Vaguely related to the above, the apportionment for the first Colorado State Legislature as set down in the state constitution.

CO-leg-1876.png

County boundaries are approximate; the big gray box in the west is the Ute Reservation, which wasn't organized into counties and thus didn't elect members to the legislature.

It does make a lot more sense in light of this that Golden was considered an equally viable state capital - it would've been more or less at the state's center of population.

Thande

Donor
I have uploaded US general maps for 2005 (nothing much there) and 2004.

Do you have a key for the British election maps that includes the unopposed shades?
This one by Alex has them all: https://ajrelectionmaps.deviantart.com/art/Cornwall-CC-UA-Elections-2005-2017-678567997
Vaguely related to the above, the apportionment for the first Colorado State Legislature as set down in the state constitution.
Oh, very nice find/work. I suppose it's a bit easier to work out back when it was more based on counties.

Thande

Donor
The Dave Leip site has a few county maps for NY-Gov before 1994: https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=36&f=0&off=99 You can hover your cursor over the map to see the results in each county (or click it)

Otherwise, as said above, OurCampaigns - for a site whose format looks like it was last updated in 1996 - has a number of really random election results you wouldn't expect listed there.

Oh, very nice find/work. I suppose it's a bit easier to work out back when it was more based on counties.

The constitution actually expressly forbids dividing counties, as originally passed. Hence the floterial district in the San Luis Valley. Of course, with the way Colorado (and most other western states) works, I wouldn't be surprised if it's been amended literally several hundred times, so the document as passed in 1876 is unlikely to be very similar to the current constitution.

Thande

Donor
As it's election day for Virginia's House of Delegates on Tuesday, I have updated that 2013 map I did and also done one for 2015.

Now I remember why I've not tried to upload US state legislature maps before--it takes me too much effort to hold back the snark in the write-ups.

Thande

Donor
It's the fact that this was the first elected legislature in North America and that it was probably more democratic in 1619 than it is now. (Unfortunately I could not find details of the electoral process back then to explicitly say so; however there were two elected burgesses excluded on procedural grounds to do with the company charter, so in some ways American politics has not changed that much).

The Dave Leip site has a few county maps for NY-Gov before 1994: https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=36&f=0&off=99 You can hover your cursor over the map to see the results in each county (or click it)

Otherwise, as said above, OurCampaigns - for a site whose format looks like it was last updated in 1996 - has a number of really random election results you wouldn't expect listed there.
The atlas site has never worked with seeing the county results for anything before 2000 for me, and still only shows the candidate breakdown, not the party line breakdown

And OurCampaigns, yeah, it will sometimes have a random election I'm looking for, but navigating the site is awful and it's pretty much a crapshoot on if it will have it.

Thande

Donor
Well, I think declaring the winner in most of those seats was fairly simple...
Unlike unopposed elections on the council level here though, they do still actually have people voting for the one name on the day (remember there will be other offices on the ballot at the same time) and they can write-in an alternative. So I can actually produce statewide popular vote figures, I just don't quote them because they'd be a tad misleading.

Unlike unopposed elections on the council level here though, they do still actually have people voting for the one name on the day (remember there will be other offices on the ballot at the same time) and they can write-in an alternative. So I can actually produce statewide popular vote figures, I just don't quote them because they'd be a tad misleading.

America loves democracy so much they do it even when they don't actually need to.

2016.png

I fixed up the 2016 House election map (added PA counties and tidied up the key). Eventually, I'll do more maps like this.

Last edited: