OTL Election maps resources thread

I don't mean to overgeneralise (and apologise to any Americans present) but their elections seem so much more negative than the ones on this side of the Atlantic, even the recent UK elections. It came across in the campaigns this time round.

Indeed. That's what happens when you have only two parties who hate each other's guts but aren't necessarily extremely different in terms of ideology (although these days there's more of a divide than in the past).

Oh, it'll be back Monday morning - and your profile and posts should hopefully be waiting on the new board, if all goes right.

However, how long this thread lasts on the new board is for anyone to say, because Alex, Thande and I are launching a new election maps database as soon as we can work out the kinks of it.

[LAUGHS HOLLOWLY]

Going to cross-post this from the British Politics and PMQs thread

Figure this is probably the most promising place to ask but happy to relocate the question if somewhere else is more appropriate. I have been trying to research the 1832 Great Reform Act for an alternative version in a timeline I am planned and came across an interesting possibility. The source I was looking at was discussing Thomas Drummond's Boundary Commission and how his initial response to the problem of increasing the size of surviving ancient boroughs to incorporate at least 300 properties of £10 worth was to adopt the Scottish method of pairing the borough with nearby but non-contiguous settlements of similar socio-economic profile. The source mentioned 26 such proposals but only cited Droitwich and Bromsgrove as an example. Does anyone happen to know what the other proposed pairs are or, if not, where I might find that information. I have tried trawling Hansard but can only find the initial Drummond's List.

Thanks in advance!

There were several districts of boroughs in England and Wales later on. I had come up with that thought myself previously.

Sorry to ask but were the districts an attempt to expand Schedule B boroughs to incorporate previously unrepresented towns or groupings of Schedule As? Presumably they were on something like a county basis as on the Welsh model. The source I was reading was I think referring to bringing new settlements into existing boroughs and thus the map would include towns that were not previously electing their own MPs.

Sorry to ask but were the districts an attempt to expand Schedule B boroughs to incorporate previously unrepresented towns or groupings of Schedule As? Presumably they were on something like a county basis as on the Welsh model. The source I was reading was I think referring to bringing new settlements into existing boroughs and thus the map would include towns that were not previously electing their own MPs.

Couldn't rightly say. Actually, I seem to have been mistaken about England, sorry :oops:, but they were used in Wales. See here and here for more details.

This one is an IRL example: Beaumaris was a constituency from 1536 to 1885. Following the 1832 Reform Act, it incorporated several other towns, and became known as the Beaumaris District of Boroughs.

I could definitely see the Rotten Boroughs being "preserved" in some way by folding them into districts of boroughs, especially in places like Cornwall (Truro District of Boroughs, anyone?), which had a tonne of them.

Couldn't rightly say. Actually, I seem to have been mistaken about England, sorry :oops:, but they were used in Wales. See here and here for more details.

This one is an IRL example: Beaumaris was a constituency from 1536 to 1885. Following the 1832 Reform Act, it incorporated several other towns, and became known as the Beaumaris District of Boroughs.

I could definitely see the Rotten Boroughs being "preserved" in some way by folding them into districts of boroughs, especially in places like Cornwall (Truro District of Boroughs, anyone?), which had a tonne of them.

For my timeline I was thinking of adopting the concept wholesale; a significantly watered down version which had dubious Schedule Bs grabbing 'nearby' towns of relatively similar socio-economic profile in just that kind of manner, whilst also grouping the herds of Schedule As into just that kind of District. Thanks for the help its been really heavy going trying to get into information. Lots of references like the 'Droitwich & Bromsgrove' proposal but frustratingly little else.

EDIT - the top 25 or so of Drummond's List seems fairly doomed either way.

For my timeline I was thinking of adopting the concept wholesale; a significantly watered down version which had dubious Schedule Bs grabbing 'nearby' towns of relatively similar socio-economic profile in just that kind of manner, whilst also grouping the herds of Schedule As into just that kind of District. Thanks for the help its been really heavy going trying to get into information. Lots of references like the 'Droitwich & Bromsgrove' proposal but frustratingly little else.

I would like to see what you have in mind, in the form of a map, when you have finished. ;)

This source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-2281.12180/full has basically been the only useful one so far; its told me that 1 of the 26 proposals was Dorking and Reigate but that is as far as I have got. Seriously frustrating because there must be a list I can find somewhere that isn't in a collection of private papers you can only obtain by visiting Staffordshire in person.

Were Rochester and Strood and Dorchester and Fordington also proposals or am I reading that wrong?