OTL Election maps resources thread

Thande

Donor
There's definitely an argument for both sides - I prefer a mix of the two usually, but it's good for an alternative perspective.
You will have noticed on Andrew Teale's site that he does it through a conventional map and also a cartogramme, which looks a bit blobby but also more recognisable than the hex-style map.

I think there is a place for the hex-style map, though as I've said before, the ones of the UK make it look like it has a fat bum and a tiny head.

Thande

Donor
I should have Durham finished today, but it's a right pain in many respects.
Thanks. I showed a composite map to some of the others yesterday and while it is true that Labour barely shows up in most of the country (partly due to small urban divisions), it was slightly misleading because it lacked the big Labour strongholds in Durham.

I think there is a place for the hex-style map, though as I've said before, the ones of the UK make it look like it has a fat bum and a tiny head.
johnbullbumboats.jpg

County Durham is now also uploaded.

Interestingly enough the Conservative area there exactly corresponds to the combined areas of Barnard Castle UDC, Barnard Castle RDC and that bit of Yorkshire they added to the county in 1973.

I'm actually mildly disappointed because the 2005 era East/West division follows the old county border until that point where it turns NE.

County Durham is now also uploaded.

Interestingly enough the Conservative area there exactly corresponds to the combined areas of Barnard Castle UDC, Barnard Castle RDC and that bit of Yorkshire they added to the county in 1973.

I'm actually mildly disappointed because the 2005 era East/West division follows the old county border until that point where it turns NE.

Though I find it amazing that the solidly Labour former mining villages, many of which will have likely gone on to vote 70% or more for Leave (for example by the looks of it Esh Winning), voted for the Liberal Democrats in 2009. You know it's bad for Labour when they can't win in places like Esh Winning.

Though I find it amazing that the solidly Labour former mining villages, many of which will have likely gone on to vote 70% or more for Leave (for example by the looks of it Esh Winning), voted for the Liberal Democrats in 2009. You know it's bad for Labour when they can't win in places like Esh Winning.

Probably a case of Labour voters just staying home in droves.

Though not Esh Winning Actually- that's the small labour margin with the Derwentside Independents in second.

Probably a case of Labour voters just staying home in droves.

Though not Esh Winning Actually- that's the small labour margin with the Derwentside Independents in second.

I thought that division was Esh? I'm on about Deerness Valley though that only includes part of Esh Winning. Though having said that Deerness Valley appears to include places like Ushaw Moor which would probably have Lib Dem overspill from Durham City itself, so that's maybe more understandable.

The names are very confusing to be fair. We have a habit of just using a few village names and then sticking "Winning", "Mill", "Colliery" or "Grange" on the end to distinguish between villages with the same name.

I thought that division was Esh? I'm on about Deerness Valley though that only includes part of Esh Winning. Though having said that Deerness Valley appears to include places like Ushaw Moor which would probably have Lib Dem overspill from Durham City itself, so that's maybe more understandable.

The names are very confusing to be fair. We have a habit of just using a few village names and then sticking "Winning", "Mill", "Colliery" or "Grange" on the end to distinguish between villages with the same name.

Ah, I thought Esh Winning would be in Esh.

Silly me.

Thande

Donor
Excellent work Alex. I see what you mean about headaches - that whole 'let's make the county council into a unitary authority and abolish the district councils', 'OK, how do we make the new UA cope with the greater responsib--' 'MOAR COUNCILLORS!!!!" thing.

As Alex says, you see this in 2009 in loads of places, sometimes with the Greens or the BNP rather than the Lib Dems - it's a case of "nearly all the Labour voters stayed home, so whoever else happened to turn up won it". Obviously in many other places this was the Tories, so the ones we're talking about are the ones where the Tories were unelectable.

Last edited:
As Alex says, you see this in 2009 in loads of places, sometimes with the Greens or the BNP rather than the Lib Dems - it's a case of "nearly all the Labour voters stayed home, so whoever else happened to turn up won it". Obviously in many other places this was the Tories, so the ones we're talking about are the ones where the Tories were unelectable.

And of course it's particularly noticeable in Durham where it's the whole county where the Tories are unelectable rather than just a small settlement or portion.

Though of course what with Easington and the like Labour still had a small majority in 2008.