OTL Election maps resources thread

I mean, it's a PR jurisdiction, so the only thing that would really have changed if those two votes went the other way is that Saarbrücken would've had the other colour on maps.
Yeah but SPD would have won the other day because of i n c u m b e n c y.

But the main thing is the MAPS, yeah.

Thande

Donor
Map of the recent Bulgarian election, made with help from @Southpaw.

Not sure but it looks like some of the constituencies didn't match up on the results map he showed me with the regions they're derived from and I used a map of the latter (excluding Sofia which I already knew was divided into three constituencies) but the differences look fairly minor anyway.

Bulgaria 2017.png

Thande

Donor
It's amazing how flat the support is for everyone bar the DPS.
That's proportional representation for you I suppose.

It's partly also the colour scale which means there's no distinction between 30% and 39% for GERB, but still.

The reason why the DPS is the exception (you may know this but others might not) is they're the Turkish minority interests party so it's basically just a map of where the Turkish minority lives in Bulgaria.

That's proportional representation for you I suppose.

It's partly also the colour scale which means there's no distinction between 30% and 39% for GERB, but still.

The reason why the DPS is the exception (you may know this but others might not) is they're the Turkish minority interests party so it's basically just a map of where the Turkish minority lives in Bulgaria.

True, but even compared to the PVV and VVD Dutch maps it's pretty flat.

Deleted member 6086

Burgas (the large province in the Southeast Black Sea shore) used to be a Patriotic Front stronghold (the leader of one of the parties is from there), but the United Patriots seem to have done less well there this year, though better than the national average.

Thande

Donor
Burgas (the large province in the Southeast Black Sea shore) used to be a Patriotic Front stronghold (the leader of one of the parties is from there), but the United Patriots seem to have done less well there this year, though better than the national average.
IIRC they came just under the 15% threshold that would have given them the darker shade.

Thought I'd share something on here in spite of myself - it's well known that many Asian countries tend to have malapportionment issues, so simultaneously with my map of the last Japanese election I thought I'd make a map of constituency size in the country.

It's worth noting that this is the situation after the passage of a law intended to deal with malapportionment by removing districts from five rural prefectures, which is why there are 295 FPTP districts now rather than the former round 300. It is however likely that the actual intention behind this law - passed, we must remember, by an LDP government - was to make it look as though the problem was being dealt with to low-information voters while also letting them get away with as little actual change as possible. After all, they're the ones who stand to benefit from all this.

val-jp-2014-pop.png

That's just incredibly blatant. They probably don't even need to e v i s c e r a t e Sapporo and Tokyo like that because of the long-standing LDP machines that will guarantee them victory in their heartlands. (For those who don't know, the Japanese electoral system is parallel voting, people get two votes like in Germany but seats are distributed only half-proportionally unlike MMP)

(have i mentioned that i really want Our Father's Stars to do a thing on Japan?)

That's just incredibly blatant. They probably don't even need to e v i s c e r a t e Sapporo and Tokyo like that because of the long-standing LDP machines that will guarantee them victory in their heartlands. (For those who don't know, the Japanese electoral system is parallel voting, people get two votes like in Germany but seats are distributed only half-proportionally unlike MMP)
Yeah, the thing is both Sapporo and Tokyo tend to be opposition (or non-LDP, I should say) strongholds, so if anything keeping it like this is actively good for them.

(have i mentioned that i really want Our Father's Stars to do a thing on Japan?)

It's not like he'd need to, Japan is already one of the most OFS-esque countries in existence.

Yeah, the thing is both Sapporo and Tokyo tend to be opposition (or non-LDP, I should say) strongholds, so if anything keeping it like this is actively good for them.
I knew that, and of course the LDP is gaming the system to benefit themselves, they're the LDP. I was just wondering if the party (or rather their coalition with Komeito) would achieve successive majorities if constituencies were apportioned to a minimal deviation standard.

I knew that, and of course the LDP is gaming the system to benefit themselves, they're the LDP. I was just wondering if the party (or rather their coalition with Komeito) would achieve successive majorities if constituencies were apportioned to a minimal deviation standard.

Oh, oh, you were talking about a hypothetical. Forgive me, it's quite late :biggrin: I do think you're right, the majority is large enough that they'd be home free even if the seats weren't so lopsided. Of course, Russia last year gave us some insight into what that might look like, and it seems the answer is just hideously blatant gerrymandering.

Oh, and you're right in saying the LDP-Komeito coalition rather than the LDP, because they do actually stand aside for one another in the FPTP seats, hence why the Komeito almost never get more than about 2% in that vote despite regularly polling five to six times that in the PR vote.