OTL Cities which could have been great?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6086
  • Start date

Deleted member 6086

Something that popped into my head. Which OTL cities of small or medium size could have become large global cities, either in their country's OTL borders or in an ATL's?

CaliGuy

Banned
After 1900, but if Germany had won World War I, Posen (Poznan) might have become somewhat larger over the next century than it is today in our TL due to the possibility that it would have become a trade hub due to its central location between Germany and Germany's Eastern European puppet states.

I know that it's already a global city, but San Francisco, especially in the absense of LA ever developing (which IMO was flukey OTL), could be absolutely MASSIVE.

Deleted member 6086

I know that it's already a global city, but San Francisco, especially in the absense of LA ever developing (which IMO was flukey), could be absolutely MASSIVE.

I presume you mean the Bay Area, as San Fran proper is just too geographically limited to expand - like Seattle as opposed to its area.

LA County has a large amount of flattish land in a not-so-flat larger area, plus a port. Same reason Tokyo grew so much.

I presume you mean the Bay Area, as San Fran proper is just too geographically limited to expand - like Seattle as opposed to its area.

LA County also has a large amount of flattish land, plus a port. Same reason Tokyo grew so much.

Right, Bay Area Metropolis all amalgamated together.

CaliGuy

Banned
Pyongyang would probably be a fair bit bigger than today had the Korean War somehow ended in reunification under the South.
Actually, I'm not so sure about that; after all, Pyongyang's status as a capital allows it to receive migrants from other parts of North Korea (well, presumably those whom the government approves of, that is).

Elsinore could have ended up Danish capital instead of Copenhagen, in which case it would likely be the same size as Copenhagen.

Flensburg would likely have three times as many people if Schleswig had stayed united. If Schleswig hadn't become a independent duchy Ribe would likely age ended up a major North Sea trading port.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Galveston, Texas, but for the 1900 hurricane, would have been what Houston is today. But for a railroad sighting decision, Jefferson, Texas, would be what Dallas is today.

I've always thought Genoa never lived up to its potential.

In ancient Greece, one would have expected Corinth to be right up there with Athens, Sparta, and Thebes in the struggle for power, but it always was second-tier.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm not so sure about that; after all, Pyongyang's status as a capital allows it to receive migrants from other parts of North Korea (well, presumably those whom the government approves of, that is).

North Korea has most of the coal and iron of the peninsula IIRC, depending on how United Korea's economy develops Pyongyang can overtake Seul.

CaliGuy

Banned
North Korea has most of the coal and iron of the peninsula IIRC, depending on how United Korea's economy develops Pyongyang can overtake Seul.
I don't think that Pyongyang would have been able to overcome the pull of the capital Seoul, though. Indeed, Seoul looks like it's (South) Korea's version of Moscow.

I think Toledo could have had a go at being a major city, with more favourable circumstances (quicker Reconquista) and as it could have kept its role as capital. I don't think a city as important as Paris (which always was a demographical monstruosity since the XIIth century at latest), but one of the leading cities including demographically in western Europe, maybe the double of Barcelona.

Deleted member 6086

I think Toledo could have had a go at being a major city, with more favourable circumstances (quicker Reconquista) and as it could have kept its role as capital. I don't think a city as important as Paris (which always was a demographical monstruosity since the XIIth century at latest), but one of the leading cities including demographically in western Europe, maybe the double of Barcelona.

What about Cordoba absent a Reconquista?

I always thought Zaragoza had the potential to become something like OTL's Madrid had the Spanish dynastic politics gone different.

What about Cordoba absent a Reconquista?
The city began to decline by the IXth century (while remaining important). Letting alone the question of an absent Reconquista (which I admit find unlikely), Kurtuba held the main role because it was the head city of the emirate/caliphate : but I think it would have been nevertheless outgrown by Isbiliya in the XIIth especially if Kurtuba loose his political importance (as it began to did historically).

I always thought Zaragoza had the potential to become something like OTL's Madrid had the Spanish dynastic politics gone different.
It suffered from being a border town, IMO, set on a variously navigable river and a bit too close from Catalonia being an economical/demograhical hub.

Maybe, but I don't think it's overly likely, a TL where Saragossa is conquered by Charlemagne, and turns out to be a main region of settlement by Hispani (roughly, refugees from Spain that settled in southern-western Carolingia, forming a strong demographical base in Languedoc and Catalonia in the VIIIth and IXth century). But even from this departure point (which could arguably diminish the role of Gothia Lunga (Languedoc and Catalonia)...I don't know, honestly.