How's the Start?

• Total voters
“Literally speaking, Ra’y in Islam means opinion and judgment. But the Arabs had used it for several centuries before Islam itself to denote well-considered opinions and skills in affairs. A person having mental perception and sound knowledge was known as Dhu Al-Ra’y by the Arabians and was adopted by the Turks soon after. The opposite of the given word was Mufannad which was meant to denote a man who was weak in his judgment and unsound in mind. The epithet is reported have been applied to man alone and not to a woman, because according to the Arabs, the woman who was the mother, taught Ra’y to young children and thus could not be devoid of it. Ra’y also implied intellectual perfection and maturity in judgment and has since its creation as a concept been a criterion of greatness. The Quran itself time and again exhorts to deep thinking and meditation over its verses. The Prophet Muhammad himself set examples by accepting the opinion of his companions in matters that he was directed to by his revelation. On the occasion of the Badr, for example, Muhammad chose a particular place for the encampment of his troops. A companion of his, Hubab al-Mundhir asked him whether he had chosen the place of his own wisdom or from advice from God. Muhammad told al-Mundhir that he had done so out of his own judgment and wisdom. When al-Mundhir pointed out that the place was easily detectable to enemies, the Prophet replied that ‘You have made a sound decision’ and he moved his troops to the place that al-Mundhir pointed out was a better resting spot.

During the lifetime of Muhammad, Ra’y remained a powerful doctrine, but after his death, the doctrine of the Hadith began to overtake Ra’y and while it remained a part of the Hanafi school doctrine of Islam, it remained so as a very minor point and was largely forgotten in Islamic theology. [2]

I am not exactly sure where you are going with this. While the prophet (PBUH) certainly used the suggestions of others on topics he was not as knowledgeable on in his decision making, none of these matters were related to divine revelation or theology. I guess you wish to introduce some sort of Neo-Mutazilte strand of theologians who emphasize "logic." However I am not seeing how the passage you've quoted provides enough substance to suggest that there would be any such shift in the attitudes of modern day Islamic theologians, regardless of whether the current Caliph fancies such views. There is a reason these early strands died out and I don't see them coming back, especially considering its current champion is a caliph that is continuously secularizing public institutions and limiting Islam's sway in public life based on previous posts.

I am not exactly sure where you are going with this. While the prophet (PBUH) certainly used the suggestions of others on topics he was not as knowledgeable on in his decision making, none of these matters were related to divine revelation or theology. I guess you wish to introduce some sort of Neo-Mutazilte strand of theologians who emphasize "logic." However I am not seeing how the passage you've quoted provides enough substance to suggest that there would be any such shift in the attitudes of modern day Islamic theologians, regardless of whether the current Caliph fancies such views. There is a reason these early strands died out and I don't see them coming back, especially considering its current champion is a caliph that is continuously secularizing public institutions and limiting Islam's sway in public life based on previous posts.
Ra'y is.........not a defunct strand of Islamic doctrine. It has become increasingly sidelined by the Wahhabbis in the past two or three centuries but the doctrine remains a part of the Hanafi School of Sunni Islam. Giving more focus onto it is not going to be out of the ordinary at all.

Thoughts?
Bulgaria and Greece might prolly be less abrasive towards Ottomans from here on otherwise it's good. However, not without dramas.

Good rural developments of the Ottoman Empire. If it works well, bit more prosperity for the Sublime State and more people happy and fed.

Also, love how you implement your research in regards to the religious sphere for this TL. Thanks to this, everyone can learn better about it.

Bulgaria and Greece might prolly be less abrasive towards Ottomans from here on otherwise it's good. However, not without dramas.
indeed.
Good rural developments of the Ottoman Empire. If it works well, bit more prosperity for the Sublime State and more people happy and fed.
Yes, without a developed rural society there can be no developed urban society
Also, love how you implement your research in regards to the religious sphere for this TL. Thanks to this, everyone can learn better about it.
Thank you!

Any predictions?
1: I think when the British start to pull out of Egypt there will be a republican movement/rebellion/revolution based around a mix of Wahhabism and left/right ideals with a core foundation based around Egyptian/Arab nationalism. they will try to remove the old Turkish blooded monarchy and nobility from power in Egypt either replacing it with a Tyrannical Republic or its own Arab monarchy (maybe a Mamluk pretender or a successful Arab warlord). if they succeed they will call for the Arabs to rise up against the Turkish "oppressors" who are "obviously" collaboration with foreign powers, Jews, and Slavs to destroy Muslim society with its liberal policies. The Egyptians Turkish, Copts, Nubians, and Baha’i racial minorities and oppressed Arabs following the wrong religious and political leaning will flee to the ottoman empire. other Arab and Muslim nations will be forced to look between Egypt and the Empire for leadership.

2: Japan and the Ottomans will come to have a very close relationship, IE The Ottomans are Nihon oil daddys

3: the Princely Sultanate of Aceh will start trying to build a strong connection with other Muslim dynasties, houses, communities, and organizations in southeast Asia. like trying to marry into Brunei, Shelter Muslim Philippines lords, founding Islamic education or aid of lower class, acting as a conduit for ottoman aid for Islamic freedom fighters. when decolonization comes around Aceh will be in a position to try to unite most of Indonesia with parts of Malaysia and the Philippines. some other parts of OTL Indonesia will be independent, probably the eastern islands that follow other religions like Christianity, Hinduism, pagan, or Buddhist faiths.

4: historians and alternate historians will look at the point of divergence of what if the ottomans had chosen the central powers and make it an alternative history novel. (This would be super funny, like an alternate history within an alternate history)

Last edited:
1: I think when the British start to pull out of Egypt there will be a republican movement/rebellion/revolution based around a mix of Wahhabism and left/right ideals with a core foundation based around Egyptian/Arab nationalism. they will try to remove the old Turkish blooded monarchy and nobility from power in Egypt either replacing it with a Tyrannical Republic or its own Arab monarchy (maybe a Mamluk pretender or a successful Arab warlord). if they succeed they will call for the Arabs to rise up against the Turkish "oppressors" who are "obviously" collaboration with foreign powers, Jews, and Slavs to destroy Muslim society with its liberal policies. The Egyptians Turkish, Copts, Nubians, and Baha’i racial minorities and oppressed Arabs following the wrong religious and political leaning will flee to the ottoman empire. other Arab and Muslim nations will be forced to look between Egypt and the Empire for leadership.

2: Japan and the Ottomans will come to have a very close relationship, IE The Ottomans are Nihon oil daddys

3: the Princely Sultanate of Aceh will start trying to build a strong connection with other Muslim dynasties, houses, communities, and organizations in southeast Asia. like trying to marry into Brunei, Shelter Muslim Philippines lords, founding Islamic education or aid of lower class, acting as a conduit for ottoman aid for Islamic freedom fighters. when decolonization comes around Aceh will be in a position to try to unite most of Indonesia with parts of Malaysia and the Philippines. some other parts of OTL Indonesia will be independent, probably the eastern islands that follow other religions like Christianity, Hinduism, pagan, or Buddhist faiths.

4: historians and alternate historians will look at the point of divergence of what if the ottomans had chosen the central powers and make it an alternative history novel. (This would be super funny, like an alternate history within an alternate history)
Hm, the last option seems fun really

You covered China long ago but how goes with it? Still an empire or have it fall apart into warlodism?
For the moment it's a dangerous game of the Emperor trying to commit reforms, but not too much so that he doesn't piss of the independent warlords who are more in line ittl due to the presence of an emperor.

Ra'y is.........not a defunct strand of Islamic doctrine. It has become increasingly sidelined by the Wahhabbis in the past two or three centuries but the doctrine remains a part of the Hanafi School of Sunni Islam. Giving more focus onto it is not going to be out of the ordinary at all.
I was not referring to the concept of ijtihad by Ra'y, I was referring to mu'tazilism. What I am trying to say is that I think you are blowing this particular concept out of proportion and In no way do I see it superseding the Quran and the Sunnah when it comes to jurisprudence; all of orthodoxy is not just gonna back down because an Ottoman Caliph has a different view on things, he isnt the pope. Maybe i read that particular section wrong, but that's how I took it. Also, you keep referring to Wahhabis, but it isnt like the entirety of islam here is wahhabbis vs reformists. Once again, this is your TL so I am not gonna demand you change anything, however you're kinda playing fast and loose when it comes to the development of modern day Islamic jurisprudence and theology, and I am not seeing how the changes you're making would become widely acceptable to a number of groups within and outside Ottoman territory, and I am not talking about wahhabis.

I was not referring to the concept of ijtihad by Ra'y, I was referring to mu'tazilism. What I am trying to say is that I think you are blowing this particular concept out of proportion and In no way do I see it superseding the Quran and the Sunnah when it comes to jurisprudence; all of orthodoxy is not just gonna back down because an Ottoman Caliph has a different view on things, he isnt the pope. Maybe i read that particular section wrong, but that's how I took it. Also, you keep referring to Wahhabis, but it isnt like the entirety of islam here is wahhabbis vs reformists. Once again, this is your TL so I am not gonna demand you change anything, however you're kinda playing fast and loose when it comes to the development of modern day Islamic jurisprudence and theology, and I am not seeing how the changes you're making would become widely acceptable to a number of groups within and outside Ottoman territory, and I am not talking about wahhabis.
Mu'tazilism is certainly not making a comeback. It's too old and unlike Ra'y not and existing doctrine. Something derived or influenced it like Ibadi Islam could form but it is highly unlikely.

Is "pagan " a good choice of words ? Shoud'nt it be animistic ?
Iam saying “pagan” for Chinese folk religion, Japanese Shinto faith, Polynesian belief systems, and other “native” people with older faiths that were not overwhelmed by foreign religions like Hindu, Buddhist, Islam, Shintos, Chinese folk religions, and Christianity