How's the Start?

• Total voters
What an interesting detail of Ben Gurion to hire palestinians to complete yemeni infrastructure. I assume palestinians are the closest of the skilled workers required for this project, unless theres another goal.

Ottoman (Edit: ) Muslims did not have surnames. Surname Law was passed in 1934 under the Republic.
Actually Orbay took the name during the Italo-Turkish War iotl. Saw no need to change that ittl. Turks generally didn't have surnames, but there were few cases like Orbay taking on surnames.

What an interesting detail of Ben Gurion to hire palestinians to complete yemeni infrastructure. I assume palestinians are the closest of the skilled workers required for this project, unless theres another goal.
Well they're the closest really, that's it

Ethnic Makeup of the Ottoman Military
do the Ottomans have Marines? What does the ethnic makeup of the ottoman military look like?
Like most pre-cold war marines, they're only small detachments and units in the army.

Ethnic Makeup of the Ottoman Military would (approximately be):-
1. Turkish: 35%
2. Arab: 30%
3. Greeks: 10%
4. Slavs: 10%
5. Armenians: 5%
6. Rest: 10%

A/N: Its approximate and not totally accurate

Like most pre-cold war marines, they're only small detachments and units in the army.

Weren't there a decent amount of Albanians? Or is that just a Officer Corps thing that does not apply to the military as a whole?

Are arabs also a large part of the officer/leadership role or are they mostly grunts? Also what language does the military use?

any predictions?
The Russian Civil War will be messy. Very messy.

I'm predicting a mix of rightist, leftist, and independence factions. Depending on what happens early on Nicholas could face trouble from the right as well as the left and ethnic minorities as rabid nationalists try to seize control in opposition to Nicholas' clear incompetence.

For independence factions there could be anything from a resurgent Central Asian movement, to Ukranians, Baltics, Finns, and Caucasians.

This isn't taking into consideration the possibility of foreign intervention as well. The French, British Danubians, Ottomans, Germans, Swedes, Chinese, and Japanese all have possible reasons to launch interventions in support of one faction or another and having typed that out I realize that that's just about every major power on the planet.

New prediction, the Russian Civil War will either lead into or help directly set the ground for the Second Great War.

ahmedali

Banned
great season

And Nicholas proves every day that he is a fool and I will not grieve for him if he is executed in the Civil War

I feel that Russia will lose a lot later

Montenegro is now in fact an Ottoman puppet and an ally like Bulgaria.

I feel that Vladimir Purishkevich will be Hitler in this timeline. He might do a foolish act against the Ottomans, start a second war and make an entente (with Germany) with the Ottomans against Russia.

How will the Qajars and Afghanistan deal with this rebellion in Central Asia (will we see Persia expand its ancient borders and be an ally of the Ottomans?

Are there any plans for the Ottomans to construct more battleships soon, seeing as Russia and Italy possess large fleets (or are actively expanding their existing fleets)? Also, I think that aircraft carriers would make sense for the Ottoman Empire, seeing as it has a rather lengthy coastline (Black Sea, Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Aegean Sea, Ionian Sea, rest of the Eastern Mediterranean) and area of interest with respect to its ocean-going trade.

I would guess that the next class of Ottoman capital ships will likely be more practical than the Kaysar-class (which seems to have been cancelled owing to its impracticality/being infeasible). The gun calibre that would seem logical would be around 15in(380mm), as the Suleiman class already uses it and so this keeps logistics simple, though having more than 4 guns (ideally around 8-12 in a twin and/or triple turret configuration) is necessary, in addition to better armor. The Suleiman-class drew inspiration from OTL Courageous-class battlecruisers which were woefully under-armored with a main armor belt of merely 3 in (76mm) at most. This hypothetical class could likely use oil-fired boilers as opposed to coal (the Ottomans will have oil in meteoric abundance), and a design that is basically a fast battleship seems like it would be a good choice, with maybe 2 to 3 being built.

A real life ship that may be useful as inspiration could be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Caracciolo-class_battleship - Italian battleship class that started construction in 194, but was delayed due to WW1 and was never finished in OTL.
Another might be to do a fast Queen Elizabeth class design..

As this is Sarthaka's timeline they ultimately decide what is featured/explored within it, but if they want some minor help or recommendations on the naval side of things then I would gladly offer some input.

Are there any plans for the Ottomans to construct more battleships soon, seeing as Russia and Italy possess large fleets (or are actively expanding their existing fleets)? Also, I think that aircraft carriers would make sense for the Ottoman Empire, seeing as it has a rather lengthy coastline (Black Sea, Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Aegean Sea, Ionian Sea, rest of the Eastern Mediterranean) and area of interest with respect to its ocean-going trade.

I would guess that the next class of Ottoman capital ships will likely be more practical than the Kaysar-class (which seems to have been cancelled owing to its impracticality/being infeasible). The gun calibre that would seem logical would be around 15in(380mm), as the Suleiman class already uses it and so this keeps logistics simple, though having more than 4 guns (ideally around 8-12 in a twin and/or triple turret configuration) is necessary, in addition to better armor. The Suleiman-class drew inspiration from OTL Courageous-class battlecruisers which were woefully under-armored with a main armor belt of merely 3 in (76mm) at most. This hypothetical class could likely use oil-fired boilers as opposed to coal (the Ottomans will have oil in meteoric abundance), and a design that is basically a fast battleship seems like it would be a good choice, with maybe 2 to 3 being built.

A real life ship that may be useful as inspiration could be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Caracciolo-class_battleship - Italian battleship class that started construction in 194, but was delayed due to WW1 and was never finished in OTL.
Another might be to do a fast Queen Elizabeth class design..

As this is Sarthaka's timeline they ultimately decide what is featured/explored within it, but if they want some minor help or recommendations on the naval side of things then I would gladly offer some input.
Thats an informative post! @Gman based on the developments so far, what kind of fleet being prepared by the OE by 1940 (ttl's start date for WW2) would be most advantageous for the Ottoman State? Like i have stated multiple times in this thread naval matters is simply not my cup of tea, though i have done my best regarding them.

Thats an informative post! @Gman based on the developments so far, what kind of fleet being prepared by the OE by 1940 (ttl's start date for WW2) would be most advantageous for the Ottoman State? Like i have stated multiple times in this thread naval matters is simply not my cup of tea, though i have done my best regarding them.
I might have a few ideas but what's the budget and what are the Italians and Russians up to? Also an order of but for the current fleet would help.

I personally do not believe carriers to be a worthwhile investment for WW2.

In the Mediterranean land based airpower can reach you pretty much everywhere.

Post WW2 a few (one or two) carriers might be a good idea for mostly service in Indian Ocean.

I think Ottomans should focus on decent destroyers, some decent cruisers, a pair of new capital ships at most and submarines. As for numbers, something similar to OTL Italian Navy, Ottomans could probably do with a somewhat smaller navy as well.

Regarding the Ottoman Navy, It currently has 4 Battleships, 10 Light Cruisers, 0 Heavy Cruisers, 28 Destroyers, 10 Submarines, 9 Minesweepers and 7 Minelayers. 8 Destroyers from Imperial dockyards and 4 Aegean Class Heavy Cruisers (in development & Construction alongside Greece who has ordered 2 along the way to replace Navarchos Miaoulis) have been ordered for the Ottoman Navy by the end of 1930(the long time duration due to payment for naval loans). Considering the UK's economy is far stronger ittl than otl and with Ahmet riza's economic reforms in the OE, I would say that as a rule of thumb in 1914 Pound Terms, the Ottoman Navy Budget is 1/5 - 1/4 of the UK Naval Budget on average. Naval Expenditures of the RN otl in 1925 was £60 million pounds according to Brassey's Naval Manual so i would wager the Ottoman Naval Budget strays at £10 million to £14 million.

Regarding the Italian Military, i would say its 20% weaker than iotl, whilst the Russian Navy is going on the same pace as it did before ww1 otl.

Last edited:
Where do the 10 heavy cruisers come from? I understand that 4 of them are the Aegean-class, are some of the other 6 older armoured cruisers and perhaps the old 2 pre-dreadnought battleships that were reclassified?

Where do the 10 heavy cruisers come from? I understand that 4 of them are the Aegean-class, are some of the other 6 older armoured cruisers and perhaps the old 2 pre-dreadnought battleships that were reclassified?
Sorry mistype. 0 heavy cruisers.