How's the Start?

• Total voters
Enjoyed the cuisine and cultural updates of Ottoman Empire here. It's also a nice change of pace from usual political stuff.

Didn't really expect West Australian seccessionist part but not surprising because it's where I live as home. I doubt independent West Australia would be successful.
Hello,

I agree with the food and cultural developments. One wrinkle to the food aspect is the Ottomans' trade relations with Mexico. Certainly tequila and pork products have no chance in the Empire, but corn products, vegetables unique to Mexico, and the variety of chili peppers may make inroads to Turkish, Arab, and Jewish kitchens. I cannot help but speculate on how Ottoman and Mexican cuisines may fuse together.

Enjoyed the cuisine and cultural updates of Ottoman Empire here. It's also a nice change of pace from usual political stuff.

Didn't really expect West Australian seccessionist part but not surprising because it's where I live as home. I doubt independent West Australia would be successful.
thanks i will be adding more cultural updates soon as well.

Hello,

I agree with the food and cultural developments. One wrinkle to the food aspect is the Ottomans' trade relations with Mexico. Certainly tequila and pork products have no chance in the Empire, but corn products, vegetables unique to Mexico, and the variety of chili peppers may make inroads to Turkish, Arab, and Jewish kitchens. I cannot help but speculate on how Ottoman and Mexican cuisines may fuse together.
certainly. the various spices and vegetables of Mexico could make important headways into the OE

I gotta say. As a Jew, I am personally loving how this TL unfolds for us. I can firmly say that I would be on the side of the Ottomans were I in this situation.

What’s the status of Ottoman Libya ATL?
It's still a part of the OE much like a large Kaliningrad really
It was covered in these chapters

I gotta say. As a Jew, I am personally loving how this TL unfolds for us. I can firmly say that I would be on the side of the Ottomans were I in this situation.
Thanks! Though the Pro and Anti Ottoman Jewish conflict will rage on in the OE for some time before the rise of DBG as Grand Vizier cements the pro-Ottoman forces.

Deleted member 157939

It's still a part of the OE much like a large Kaliningrad really
It was covered in these chapters
Super interesting read! I should of specified, I. meant more specifically aspects like do Ottoman administration continue to utilize the Senussi in Cyrenecia etc

Really interesting read. Seeing how the Ottomans ITL have survived to the modern day, I wonder about how appropriate would be for it to still officially name itself an Empire in the modern day. Since the previous decades of global decolonization, independence and anti-imperialism made the terminology of "Empire" a rather dirty word in the 21st century. Would the Ottomans really continue to be called Ottoman Empire in 2021? Or would the terminology shift into the more neutral Sublime Ottoman State?

Really interesting read. Seeing how the Ottomans ITL have survived to the modern day, I wonder about how appropriate would be for it to still officially name itself an Empire in the modern day. Since the previous decades of global decolonization, independence and anti-imperialism made the terminology of "Empire" a rather dirty word in the 21st century. Would the Ottomans really continue to be called Ottoman Empire in 2021? Or would the terminology shift into the more neutral Sublime Ottoman State?
the Ottoman 'Empire' is a colloquial term. The official name of the Ottoman Empire since 1453 is the The Sublime Ottoman State

Yes, I am aware. I was just wondering from the news snippets of your timeline that the Ottomans were still referred to as an Empire, which would make the term rather politically charged in the 21st century context.
its more like that of a Japanese context of otl. In some Taiwanese, many Korean and Chinese, Far East Russian, and even more than a few SEA media still call Japan an Empire, due to its 'Emperor'. The Ottoman Padishah, which is an Islamic term for Emperor directly corresponds with this. So it really depends on the media that you read it. The Ottomans simply call themselves the Ottoman State

Great update! That Ottoman cuisine sure does look appetising. Also interesting to see the development of Ottoman Zionism, though the “Butcher of the Middle East” leaves me very much worried.

Great update! That Ottoman cuisine sure does look appetising. Also interesting to see the development of Ottoman Zionism, though the “Butcher of the Middle East” leaves me very much worried.
Indeed, the Second World War is going to be extremely........complicated to say the least.

Sarthaka, may I ask what the Ottoman Empire's population looks like in 1924? I understand that a previous chapter indicated that previous censuses under-counted the population (due to ignoring certain individuals), and that where the 1919 census indicated a population of 24.7 million, the actual population was in the low 30 million range.

I would guess that the population is presently in the mid 30 million range, and likely growing at a healthy rate for the early 20th century (likely faster than France, and at a rate that i suspect will enable Italy to be overtaken in population sometime in the 1930s).

Sarthaka, may I ask what the Ottoman Empire's population looks like in 1924? I understand that a previous chapter indicated that previous censuses under-counted the population (due to ignoring certain individuals), and that where the 1919 census indicated a population of 24.7 million, the actual population was in the low 30 million range.

I would guess that the population is presently in the mid 30 million range, and likely growing at a healthy rate for the early 20th century (likely faster than France, and at a rate that i suspect will enable Italy to be overtaken in population sometime in the 1930s).
Pretty much. The Ottoman population is around near the mid-30 million mark.