Optimal Post-WWI Polish Borders Map Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's, uh, frankly balls. What's destabilising about German Breslau? What's tantamount to genocide about a shit record of minority rights?
Because if Even a Single German Community, Remains Outside of The German Sphere of Influence ...

ATL-Hitler, is Going to Demand to Have it Back!

Plus, While Forcing People from their Homes is Not in itself Full-on Genocide, Particularly if Judicious Methods are Used to be as Humane as Possible, Under The Circumstances ...

You're Going to Have to do it at Gun-Point, And if you Start Shooting them, That Tantamount has a Way Evaporating, Pretty DARN Quick!

My previous comments regarding Lithuania (19, 20 and 22-24; with 18, 21 and 25 optional), the Ukraine (36, 37, 40-43, 46, and 47; with 28 and 29 optional), White Russia (32-35, 39 and 45; with 21 and 25-27 optional), and Baltic access (12 with northern 13 optional or 18) still stand.

Edit: On 2nd thought, 4 should be green, 5 should be yellow and 9 and 37 should be blue.

Map_Survey_Mk_II_by_Magnificate.png

Because if Even a Single German Community, Remains Outside of The German Sphere of Influence ...

ATL-Hitler, is Going to Demand to Have it Back!

Because the Germans are just destined to go Nazi. Damn Krauts. :rolleyes:

This, of course, ignores two key facts:

-Hitler deliberately exlcuded German communities from his sphere of influence on severel occasions.

-The presence of Germans in Breslau and other place "east of the Oder" is hardly destabilising: the Corridor and Upper Silesia were the only real areas of contention.

Plus, While Forcing People from their Homes is Not in itself Full-on Genocide, Particularly if Judicious Methods are Used to be as Humane as Possible, Under The Circumstances ...

You're Going to Have to do it at Gun-Point, And if you Start Shooting them, That Tantamount has a Way Evaporating, Pretty DARN Quick!

You don't seem to understand what actually caused the demographic change in the provinces in question, which was gradual and complex.

it IS Destabilizing to Have Any German Communities East of The Oder, And it IS Tantamount to Genocide to Force them to Move!

Don't remember about the other person, but I said none of this. I'll repeat: East Prussia, as an area inhabited by Germans who want direct land connection with the rest of their country through Polish populated land which the Poles need to have access to the sea is a destabilizing factor. Also, removing them is not necessarily a genocide.

I will now prepare a new map...

EDIT:

...and here it is. For a situation like OTL, that is - there is no independent Ukraine, Lithuania is hostile, and there is no Shiny Federation on the horizon. Colors are different than on the first map, because I took it that yellow is useful, but troublesome, and there is no "take if free" option, so most of those went red. In before "Masuria still green" - I think it would not be troublesome. Purple represents a basic Poland, blue - with lands that it can and should get, but it would anger the neighbours, green - lands with less Poles and Masuria, yellow - lands Poland would best be without but they would be useful in one way or another.
#34 is blue because it has Poles, it's easy to take and without it, this asks to be invaded. #35 & #36 could serve as a buffer, but they are near worthless. #41 & #42 have some Poles and are useful. If Poland has them, who will have #43? There, though, Ukrainians are a solid majority. Plus, it's beautiful there. :)

Last edited:

Susano

Banned
My take, using the smart new map.
-Lvov and Wilno are major Polish centres. Who else should have them?
Well, that seems to be a bit of a double standard. The Lvov region is a historical Polish centre, but (except for the city itself) ethnically Ukrainian. Vilnius is a historically Lithuanian centre, but ethnically Polish. So if either standard is coherently uses, Poland should only get one of the two (preferably Vilnius IMO). That being said, I have them both as blue on my map, too ;) But thats mostly because IOTL theres no independent Ukraine around...

-Bully Germany for valuable things, but not territories containing nothing except Germans.
For some reason that formulation cracked me up :D

it IS Destabilizing to Have Any German Communities East of The Oder,
East of the ODER? You are either ignorant or lunatic, I cant decide which.

Well then, here is my take on it. Maybe its just because Im constantly being contrarian :D , but I still included striping. However, the base colour should be clear in every case, so this doesnt meddle with point calculation ;)

Point by point:
West Prussia/Pommerelia: A sea access is paramount, and the Pommerelian coast seems to be the only viable way for it. Hence, if the anchor is purple, the Putzig/Puck area (12) needs to be, too. A territorial access to that area would then be the next highest priority, logically, and its best done via Culm/Chelmo (10). An access via Bromberg/Bydgosz (9) would be beneficial, but it isnt necessary, hence thats green. The striping in 11 is meant to represent a sub-area that can also be considered to be green ;)

As for East Prussia, its outer territories (15, 16) are as IBC has said: Nothing in there except for Germans ;) If it falls into Polands lap, bad for them and great for Poland, but it shouldnt be actively pursued. Core East Prussia (17/18) has too many Germans and is just trouble. Gdansk/Danzig (14) of course has value, so that is at least Green.

Posen/Greater Poland: Taking Posen/Poznan itself (7) is top priority - it is as much core territory as territory 0. Beyond that, however, again there are only Germans and nothing more. 8 is ethnically mixed, so that justifies green, but beyond that (13) - historic justifications can be used, but it shouldnt be actively pursued. And of course, going even further into Germany is just asking for trouble.

Upper Silesia: Oppeln (6) is German, period :p And as it has also more inhabitants as the Posen borderlands, and isnt protected by the "historic borders" justification, already taking that would be too much trouble, maybe except for the northern parts of that zone. 5 had actually more votes for Poland than 4 - so like 8, it is an ethnically mixed zone with not much of interest in it. It can be taken, but it doesnt need to. And 4, well, there is a value in the Industrial area, and the southern parts of it actually voted pretty clearly Polish, so thats blue priority.

Northeast and "Vilnius Corridor" (I like that term :D ) : The Bialystok area (24-26) is geographically important for Poland. Try to imagine Polish Vilnius but Belarussian Bialystok :D I think for all practical purposes it can be counted as core territory. As for the Vilnius corridor - it (21, 22, 33, 34) is ethnic Polish in majority and somewhat coherent territorially. Why shouldnt it be pursued with high priority?

Central Galicia+Chelm: Hrm. I am in doubt about my judgement there, because I fear being hypocrite - seeing as how looked on ethnic borders at the Polish-German frontier, but less so here. Those areas have an Ukrainian ethnic majorities, after all. And yet, they are probably better off under Poland, and also, are of strategical value (Chelm (28), so that at least the Bug can be border) or historic value (Lvov (37), of course). And they are relatively easy to take for Poland. So, blue, but the green stripings indicate that if Poland due to some diabolic scheme had to choose between the Northeast and the Southeast, then it should choose for Vilnius and against Lvov - even if virtually every Pole posting here or colouring in the map elsewhere so far has said the exact opposite :D

Baltic: Core Lithuania (19/23) simply doesnt work. It doesnt want to be a part and would simply be trouble. The OTL border was sufficiently close to the ethnic border, so that works. Poland can accept a slightly more favourable border (20), but it isnt really necessary. In Latvia, even if Dyneburg/Daugavpils (30) has a Polish plurality, such a small territory is simply not worth pissing off Latvia. Also, Im not even sure about that Polish plurality thing. Lattgallia (31) seems absolutly unjustifiable then.

Eastern Lands: East Galicia (41, 43), West Volhynia (36) and East Podlachia (35) would make for a nice territorial aroundment. That justifies some action, but not much. The OTL eastern border (32, 39, 40, 42) is acceptable if it falls into Polands lap, I would say. Even if most polled Poles seem to have an absolute horror of that region :D But even IMO it is the easternmost Poland should go. Beyond that is red, in every sense of the word :D I striped East Belarus (45) yellow, because it is thinkable that Poland annexes it if for some reason it is not possible to build up a buffer state - then it is better its annexed then let it become Soviet. Of course, if Poland controlls Minsk then it should be able to build up a buffer state, which then ideally also would include 32 and 39...

Southern Lands: Bukovina and Ruthenocarpathia would be lunatic ideas, and so would be even further expansion southwards. And as said, those Slovakic border villages, taking them is just just low. Now, Cieszyn, thats something else. It should be blue or even purple, but alas, as its so small, its just not worth pissing off Czechoslovakia. It should still tried to be gained, but not immediately after WW1 when the Czechs need that railroad against the Hungarians..

Colonial expansion/PLC restoration: Hahahaha.

I also included a "German view" to the right of my file. Well, purely GErman view, my main map for Polish Germany is of course already influenced by German bias :D And no, colouring in Upper Silesia is not a mistake ;) As said 5 voted more German than 4, so 5 should be kept only as route to 4...
Generally, the core German priority would be to stop Entente demands and stabilise its borders somewhere. If things are worse than IOTL, then that somewhere would be the historic borders of the Provinces of Posen and West Prussia, or only retaining Core East Prussia. However, beyond that, of course all German-majority areas in Posen, West Prussia and East Prussia should also be tried to be kept, as should the Upper Silesian industrial area. And if that is somehow managed, then third priority would be keeping East Prussia linked up with the rest of Germany, hence green 10. 11 and 12 are less important, the green striping simply indicates 12 would be more valuable than 11 (more stable link to East Prussia, while a Polish coastal enclave is not much pain). In either case, though, if by some miracle Germany also has a link to East Prussia, they arent that valuable anymore. Sure, it would be nice to keep them, but that would require a miracle (well, so would 10 already...), and really isnt worth any effort.
As for Posen/Poznan, Germany shouldnt even try. Only Poles and trouble there ;)

pol2.gif

Susano

Banned
Also, removing them is not necessarily a genocide.
Well, no, but thats a technicality. It would be ethnic cleansing, and thats also an atrocity. Really, I dont think its possible to remove all possible points of tension. What remains is to keep them at a minimum.
And yes, yes, I wont say anything about green Masuria. I mean, I myself have said it wouldnt cause any trouble. It just isnt really... justifiable. But meh, yellow Gdansk/Danzig is ample compensation for that :p

Susano

Banned
Here's my two grains of salt of a conflict-minimized Poland... ;)

Youre running way behind the times :p Heh, your basemap didnt even yet have the Upper Sielsian split... but atm, as you can see on this page of the thread (basemap is on the page before that), were currently running on a 47 territories map :D

Youre running way behind the times :p Heh, your basemap didnt even yet have the Upper Sielsian split... but atm, as you can see on this page of the thread (basemap is on the page before that), were currently running on a 47 territories map :D

Sorry, yeah, I only have irregularly internet at the moment... :p;)

My entry with the new version of the basemap.

My only problem is the precise nature of the difference between priorities 1 and 2, I haven't seen it precisely defined. To me priority 1 is territories making Poland's survival in the long term possible, while 2 means areas which, while of lesser importance, ought to be tried for if it is physically possible, barring the most freakish of circumstances, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Map_Survey_Mk_II_by_Magnificate.png

Sea access by actual borders is somewhat overated.
You could always have Danzig remain German and give the Poles the same rights the Czechs had in......Bremen IIRC? (could be another city).

Though of course the Polish nationalists wouldn't be happy.

Here's some help for a post-WWII survey. Combine this map (with its divisions) with the one posted below (with 13 and 25 divided). Make the following modifications to the linked map:

(1) Draw in the borders between Pomerania, the Neumark and Silesia.

(2) Separate Stettin.

(3) Divide East Prussia along the OTL line.

(4) Draw in the Eastern Neisse, the Queis and the Bober downstream from the confluence with that river (the Oder-Eastern Neisse and Oder-Bober-Queis lines were alternate proposals for the German-Polish border).

(5) Separate Ratibor, Glatz and Leobschutz, demanded by Czechoslovakia in '45.

(6) Add Upper and Lower Lusatia.

Or you could just forget about it, I guess.

postwwii.png

Susano

Banned
A post-WW2 border seems pointless. This wouldnt figure in any Polish OR German interests after all, merely allied and especially Stalins interests...

Just to confirm: Is it clear that 20 is inside OTL interwar Lithuanian border?

Yes - I included it since Lithuanians will be pissed no matter what if Poland takes Wilno. Same logic is behind my choices regarding Polish-German borderland. Germans would be warmongering/pissed if anything beyond Congress Poland is lost to inferior Poles, so better to grab anything possible before inevitable confrontation.;)

Susano

Banned
Yes - I included it since Lithuanians will be pissed no matter what if Poland takes Wilno. Same logic is behind my choices regarding Polish-German borderland. Germans would be warmongering/pissed if anything beyond Congress Poland is lost to inferior Poles, so better to grab anything possible before inevitable confrontation.;)

Oh, for fucks sake, you, too?:rolleyes:
Outside the DNVP, most German politicans had no desire to regain Posen, for example, and I think most were also quite willing to come to compromise arrangements elsewhere.

Oh, for fucks sake, you, too?:rolleyes:
Outside the DNVP, most German politicans had no desire to regain Posen, for example, and I think most were also quite willing to come to compromise arrangements elsewhere.

Well, I included smiley, but yeah - I think that anything beyond Posen would be regarded as unacceptable loss by Germans, and another reason why unjust Versailles should be contested. (I also think that OTL interwar Polish-German border was fair compromise).

EDIT

Tolls War initiated by Weimar Germany on Poland in 20s makes me sceptical about prospect of getting normalised relations during interwar period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.