Christory's Optimal Borders Surveys (curent maps: China, Russia, Turkey/Ottomans)

So, you may recall that a while ago there were a few surveys seeing what people thought the ideal borders of some European nations should look like, for example:

In light of recent events I decided to make my own version, this time for China. I didn't have any specific time period in mind, besides either the near future or sometime within the last hundred or so years.

Chinese_borders_survey (1).png

I've already seen some interesting perspectives on this on reddit and discord, but now I'd like to see what all of you think. Once I have a lot of results, I may come up with some clever way to show all the data.

I feel like there should be options including regions with Cantonese/ Min Chinese populations in Malaysia, as well options to separate the Tarim Basin and Dzungaria. Anyhow:
46wnv1jh3go41.png

Last edited:
I’d set the context as a fractured China after some sort of revolution, and I’m in the shoes of the leader of this new revolutionary state with at least a province on my hand. With French revolutionary wars and Napoleonic Wars as an analogy.

Purple: Manchuria, Hainan, Yunnan and “China Proper”, without those I’d not have the industrial and population base for a war of (or political maneuver for ) unification.

Blue: Qinghai, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia and Tibet. There would be no real international opposition to this, despite what Western countries may say now, and whatever token support they may give to the independent states.

Green: Aksai Chin, Xisha and Nansha Islands (Spratly and Paracel), South of Tibet (Arunachal Pradesh), Taiwan. Gaining these lands means that this new revolutionary government in China have gained a far better strategic position than the fallen PRC Ever could.

Yellow: Lost Qing territories in the former Soviet Union. I do not foresee how Russia would fall in such a scenario. but if she does, a new revolutionary government in China would try to set up some multicultural buffer states in these regions, without annexing them.

Red: Korea, and Vietnam. Potential allies to be won over. Further integration is possible, but annexation seems outlandish.

Crimson: Nepal, Laos, Cambodia.