Open the Gates!

GQMZuYR.png

Last edited:
MATT LAUER: So, we know that you were one of the only celebrities attending Barack Obama's inauguration to survive the subsequent attacks. What was your experience like?

MICHAEL J. FOX: Well, I was horrified. My son and I, we were listening to President Obama's inauguration speech, and then when the bomb went off, there was just so much screaming and chaos.

MATT LAUER: Did you vote for Obama?

MICHAEL J. FOX: Yes, I did. It made it all the more harsh. President Obama promised that he would work to further stem-cell research, a topic all the more personal to me, and now, we have someone thrust into office that doesn't see it as important.

MATT LAUER: I see. What did you do after the bomb went off?

MICHAEL J. FOX: When people started screaming and running, I threw myself and my son behind a bench. We knew that if we ran with the crowd and tripped, well....they say over fifty people were killed that way.

MATT LAUER: And what did you do when you heard that Robert Gates was sworn in?

MICHAEL J. FOX: We were back at our hotel. At first, I was glad to have someone that I trusted to handle the crisis. Gates is a good man, and he handled everything pretty well. But, Gates was a Republican, like Bush, and he followed the previous Bush administration's policies in regards to stem-cell research, so I can't say he has been perfect, either.
-NBC News interview with Michael J. Fox, 4/13/2009

Last edited:
¨LIST OF SUPREME COURT NOMINEES:
Deborah L. Cook(Judge for the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit) as Chief Justice
Consuelo M. Callahan (Judge for the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit)
Danny Boggs (Judge for the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit)
Raoul G. Cantero III (former Florida Supreme Court Justice)
Alberto Gonzalez (former US Attorney General)
Sonia Sotomayor (Judge for the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit)
Johnnie B. Rawlinson (Judge for the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit)
Samuel Alito (in hospital, expected to make full recovery)
Antonin Scalia (did not attend inauguration)

If all the nominees are confirmed by the Senate, this will result in a conservative majority at 7-2. Names italicized are those that were already members of the Supreme Court prior to the Gates administration.

NEW SENATE CONFERS

Washington,D.C.: 10 days after the Inauguration Day attacks that killed President Obama and many members of the Senate and House of Representatives, the newly appointed members of the Senate have officially met in the Walter Washington Convention Center, after the Capitol building and the National Mall remain closed off due to the still-fading radioactivity of the detonated bomb. The Senators and Representatives that did not attend the inauguration are "tragically few", in the words of President Gates. The party makeup is similar to that which was elected in November, which occurred due to President Gates's wishes for the Governors of various states to appoint Senators of the same party that was elected. Special elections for House members are yet to take place.

Last edited:
So, celebrities that attended the inauguration include: Will Smith and his wife, Michael J Fox and his son, Alicia Keys and her mother, Dustin Hoffman, Aretha Franklin, P Diddy, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Samuel L. Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Steadman Graham, Anne Hathaway, Spike Lee, Kerry Washington, Susan Sarandon, Jane Krakowski, Alfre Woodard, Barry Levinson, Dana Delany, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Wendie Malick, Josh Lucas, Matthew Modine, Rachael Leigh Cook, Alan Cumming, Connie Britton, Richard Schiff, Ellen Burstyn, Giancarlo Esposito, Gloria Reuben, Lynn Whitfield, Tamara Tunie, Tom Fontana, Usher, Jamie Lee Curtis, Denzel Washington, and Maria Shriver. The bombing itself and the fact that several of these people are dead will have an effect on the popular culture. Will you address popular culture changes in this timeline or will it only focus on the Gates Administration?

So, celebrities that attended the inauguration include: Will Smith and his wife, Michael J Fox and his son, Alicia Keys and her mother, Dustin Hoffman, Aretha Franklin, P Diddy, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Samuel L. Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Steadman Graham, Anne Hathaway, Spike Lee, Kerry Washington, Susan Sarandon, Jane Krakowski, Alfre Woodard, Barry Levinson, Dana Delany, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Wendie Malick, Josh Lucas, Matthew Modine, Rachael Leigh Cook, Alan Cumming, Connie Britton, Richard Schiff, Ellen Burstyn, Giancarlo Esposito, Gloria Reuben, Lynn Whitfield, Tamara Tunie, Tom Fontana, Usher, Jamie Lee Curtis, Denzel Washington, and Maria Shriver. The bombing itself and the fact that several of these people are dead will have an effect on the popular culture. Will you address popular culture changes in this timeline or will it only focus on the Gates Administration?
Mostly it will focus on the Gates Administration, but I will add some pop culture tidbits here and there. I have already shown that Michael J Fox survived the attacks.

Is Gates currently living in the White House or is that too close to the site of the accident to be considered safe?
The White house is fine, but Gates is living at the Vice President's home as a precaution by the Secret Service, and will move into the White House February 1st.

NEW SENATE & HOUSE CONFERS

Washington,D.C.: 10 days after the Inauguration Day attacks that killed President Obama and many members of the Senate and House of Representatives, the newly appointed members of Congress have officially met in the Walter Washington Convention Center, after the Capitol building and the National Mall remain closed off due to the still-fading radioactivity of the detonated bomb. The Senators and Representatives that did not attend the inauguration are "tragically few", in the words of President Gates. In fact, the only Senators to not be present at the inauguration are freshman Minnesota Senator Al Franken and Arizona Senator John McCain, who became the Senate Majority and Minority leaders, respectively. The party makeup is similar to that which was elected in November, which occurred due to President Gates's wishes for the Governors of various states to appoint Senators and Representatives of the same party that was elected.

Minor quibble: but in most states, a governor can only appoint senators. Elections would have to be held to reconstitute the House.

"I would like to announce that I am officially nominating Thomas Kean as Vice President of the United States. Tom Kean's experience as Governor of New Jersey as well as the Chairman of the 9/11 Commission will prove invaluable to this administration."
-President Robert Gates, announcing former Governor Thomas Kean as Vice President.

The Sean Hannity Show, with former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, March 16th, 2013

HANNITY: So, in your opinion, why do you think President Gates chose Thomas Kean as Vice President?

GINGRICH: Well, Kean was an interesting choice. At the time, his experience chairing the 9/11 commission was helpful as the President worked hard after the attack that killed Obama, and his executive experience as Governor was a factor as well.

HANNITY: Yes, but some sources state that Colin Powell was the favorite of Gates to become Vice President. What happened there, do you think?

GINGRICH: That I'm not sure about. Why Colin Powell wouldn't accept it, I just don't know.
_____

"When I was approached by the President to serve in the administration as his Vice President, I was honored. I knew what a hard job being Vice President would entail, considering the terrorist attack that brought fear to our nation unseen since 9/11, and I thought he went to me for my experience as chairman.I was willing to work for the Gates administration, and I immediately accepted the job."
-from A Long Walk by Thomas Kean (pub. 2019)

The stock market most probably plunges into the abyss. If it recovers is up to you, but I can imagine the great recession getting worse unless Gates concedes to the Democratic congress on economic issues, making his despised by Fiscal Radicals in the GOP, while Fiscal Conservatives get annoyed, and Fiscal Moderates-Liberals don't care

The stock market most probably plunges into the abyss. If it recovers is up to you, but I can imagine the great recession getting worse unless Gates concedes to the Democratic congress on economic issues, making his despised by Fiscal Radicals in the GOP, while Fiscal Conservatives get annoyed, and Fiscal Moderates-Liberals don't care

I would imagine that Gates has enough sense to close the stock market for an indeterminate term as well as call for bank holidays in order to stop runs from occurring.

STATUE ERECTED IN OBAMA, JAPAN
Obama, Japan: After an unanimous vote from the citizens of the obscure city of Obama, Japan, the Obama city council has voted to erect a new statue of the slain former President Barack Obama. Obama was killed when a white supremacist terrorist detonated a dirty bomb at his inauguration ceremony. "We were all excited to have an American named Obama as their President, and we were absolutely devastated when he was killed." said Obama citizen Isoroku Yakashima. "We are glad to be able to memorialize him with this statue." Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso visited the city upon the dedication of the statue, and stated that "the Japanese government will continue to stand with the American people".
-The New York Times, 7/4/2013

MEMORIAL OF DENZEL WASHINGTON VANDALIZED
Los Angeles, California: The memorial to deceased actor Denzel Washington was vandalized yesterday. His tombstone had the words "Denzel my man" spray painted across his headstone. Denzel Washington was a victim of the tragic Inauguration Day attacks. The widow of Washington, Pauletta Pearson, has decried the vandalization, and has stated that she will soon be planning to exhume Washington's body to a more private estate.
-The National Enquirer, 11/18/2011