Once again; Germany wins WWII

Alright, I'm new here, and while I've had a long time interest in WWII, I haven't started looking into the specifics untill recently. So, if I appear like an ignorant fool, I can only apologize. Also, I don't know all your the Alternate History lingo, so try to keep that down in this thread...

Ok, my basic premises:

- Hitler actually listens to his generals, which leads to less moronic mistakes

- Hitler orders a full scale attack on Dunkirk.

- No Battle of Britain, in order to preserve pilots and aircraft for Barbarossa

- Closer cooperation between Germany and Italy, resulting in the otherwise useless Italian soldiers having better training.

- Rommel getting additional forces and supplies in Africa (though I suppose the British would have fewer troops considering their loss at Dunkirk)

- Germany recruiting soldiers from the slavic and other populations bordering Russia (more on this further down).

- War production peaking much earlier than 1944.

- More efficient use of propaganda. In other words, it would allow the German army to recruit soldiers from slavic countries and countries close to Russia, where they were often seen as saviours. If they were so keen on treating them badly, they could dispose of them after the war was over, or alternatively use them as cannon fodder (like the Russians), or to create diversions (like Rommel did with the Italians), while the real force heads in from a different direction.

- More efficient use of propaganda #2. In Norway and Denmark, the Germans weren't exactly welcomed, and their treatment of the people didn't help much. Generally, they weren't cruel to the public, but the denial of using the nation's flag, the reputation that Gestapo had, and the generally bad treatment of anyone who went against the Germans, really made them hated. With a little bit of work from the propaganda machine, the occupants could be intstructed to treat the Norwegians and Danes better, and simply arrest dissidents, instead of torturing them or sending them to work camps. Granted, they were instructed to approach the Norwegians and Danes with a friendly attitude, considering they were "aryan", but it must be used to a much greater degree, in order to gain their trust, or at least appear friendlier to the public. On a side note, my grandmother told me not long ago that the soldiers often talked about how much they missed their homes back in Germany, and how they would regularly give my father candy (he was 3-8 years old during the occupation). Overall, she perceived them as friendly and polite, not much different from Norwegians in their early 20s. My grandparents lived not 100 meters from some German barracks, so they had somewhat regular contact with them. On the other hand, my grandfather on my mother's side was chased off by the Gestapo for printing illegal newspapers. He escaped twice, just hours before they came knocking on his door. While he was fleeing, the boat he was on got shot to pieces by the RAF by mistake, killing several Norwegian fishermen as well as a horse tied to the deck, and he had to swim ashore. Eventually he hitched a ride to England, and joined the RAF (not as a pilot). A bit off track, but what the hey...

Anyway, I'm not sure what the victory conditions would be, but I suppose taking Moscow and killing Stalin would be a step in the right direction, as well as making peace with England. As for Pearl Harbor, I'm undecided on that. Assuming Pearl Harbor did happen, it would have to destroy most of the American fleet (meaning all ships were in port), as was intended by Japan. If Germany actually managed to get control of Russia, Europe, Northern Africa and parts of the middle east, and make peace with England, they would have vast resources, and should be able to produce a fleet to defend its shores (no invasion of the US) as well as aid Japan in their eventual battle with the US. Not to mention the US wouldn't be able to use England as a base in order to invade Europe.. and if they did, they would be crushed by the superior German army, which is still intact as they haven't been destroyed by Russia's cannon fodder Red Army in this timeline.

If the US still managed to take Japan, would there be any chance of them trying to use Japan as a base for attacking Europe, by invading from the east?

As mentioned, I'm still green in this area, so any corrections and additions would be very welcomed. My idea is to use this as a backdrop in a comic I've been planning, about a German SS Officer. I've barely begun planning it, but I figured if I was going to create an alternative timeline, I had to get advice from people who know what they're doing...

Not bad, but I don't see the Soviet Union surrendering just because they lose of Moscow and the death of Stalin. In my opnion, Germany would have to hard press the UK for them to surrender. Oh yeah, in the east, the best thing Germany could hope for would be a stand still. That might last for a couple years, and If Germany wants to really try and knock Britain out of the war, they will eventually lose to Russia. Declaring war on Russia and or the USA is the end. Unless Germany can get the UK to give in by 1941 and then declare war on Russia, it's all over. But thats just my opinion. Your ideas are pretty good.

i don't see why a blitzkrieg on russia is impossible. best would be to give rommel major resources, have him smash thru north africa, on to the middle east then up into russia simultaneously w/ another attack aimed at moscow. i doubt they would kill stalin as he would be relocated to the other side of the urals to fight on or make peace (doubtful) but i don't see why russia can't be completely crippled. (though i believe they did relocate a lot of factories to the west of the urals irl, how i have no idea)

i think GB and US are much bigger problems than russia actually. with a good plan and lots of oil and other resources hitler could've taken stalin to the mat. the problem is making peace with GB and keeping the US out of the war.

federationX: Well, if the UK loses 350.000 troops at Dunkirk, as well as the battle for North Africa, I think they'll be willing to at least consider peace. As for Russia, I know taking Moscow isn't going to instantly win Germany the war, but if nothing else, it will severely cripple their ability to rebuild their forces in number, as well as organize a successful counter-attack (just look what happened to the Russian forces after Stalin killed off his generals). It would also destroy the morale of the people, having lost both their leader and their capital. I guess the fighting wouldn't end, but it would definitely buy Germany time to further strengthen their forces, as well as reinforcing Europe.

czarist: Actually, Stalin was present in Moscow during the battle of Moscow. So it's very likely they would have captured him.

I could see the UK dropping out of the war if Churchill was not in charge, maybe have him fall to a no confidence vote after the BEF gets destroyed at Dunkirk? As I recall he was not terribly popular in Parliament and his military reputation was still tarnished by Gallipoli. If Hitler offers a lenient peace deal, maybe just Britain returning the colonies they gained in WW1 and an alliance against the Soviets, the new government might well accept. With the resources of the British Empire behind them, no distractions or firebombed cities from Britain, and all their forces focused on it Germany is definately going to win against the Soviets

I don't know the details around the battle of Dunkirk, so someone has to fill me in here... but if the Germans had attacked at full force at Dunkirk, what resistance would the British have put up? If they had given up fairly early, they wouldn't have suffered too many deaths, and the Germans would have 300.000-350.000 British POWs to bring up while negotiating for peace. If nothing else, it might push the British people into opposing a continued war with Germany, wanting their sons and husbands back safely.

czarist: You mention the GB and the US. Well, the GB topic is being dealt with, but as for the US, I doubt they would pose too big of a threat. In the original timeline, the US only attacked Europe when Germany's forces were already occupied or dwindling, and never had to face the real power of the German military. Other than that, they supplied their allies with resources, which would be of no use in the above scenario, with Russia close to being defeated, and with GB no longer at war with Germany. Alone, the US have no way of attacking Germany, other than with nuclear bombs in '45. And that requires carriers close to Germany, which would be a big risk at that point. Taking that into account, the Germans had rocket technology, and once they got the bomb as well, who's to say they're not going to launch nuclear missiles at the US? The US was behind Germany in this area. In fact, Walter Dornberger, the man behind the V-2, was one of the main forces behind the US space program, as well as various US missile projects.

Chastain said:
- Hitler actually listens to his generals, which leads to less moronic mistakes

But which also means listening them over CS issue. So no Munich, no occupation of entire Cs, no Skoda works for Germans, no CS tanks for Wehrmacht and hence less tanks for blitzkrieg.

i just do not see GB making peace w/ a germany that dominates all of europe and n. africa + middle east + russia (or even just all europe + russia). esp. with hitler's history and as power mad as he was. their best hope was always to lure the US into full scale war mode on their side.

I don't know the details around the battle of Dunkirk, so someone has to fill me in here... but if the Germans had attacked at full force at Dunkirk, what resistance would the British have put up? If they had given up fairly early, they wouldn't have suffered too many deaths, and the Germans would have 300.000-350.000 British POWs to bring up while negotiating for peace. If nothing else, it might push the British people into opposing a continued war with Germany, wanting their sons and husbands back safely.
1. The terrain around Dunkirk was less well suited to the use of tanks.
2. You don't need all 350,000 men to hold the perimeter so you probably can get at least 200,000 off with out weakerning the perimeter.
3. Who said the 350,000 men would calmly surrender? Dunkirk can readily be supplied from the sea so you could perhaps see a very extended seige...

czarist said:
i just do not see GB making peace w/ a germany that dominates all of europe and n. africa + middle east + russia (or even just all europe + russia). esp. with hitler's history and as power mad as he was. their best hope was always to lure the US into full scale war mode on their side.

Even if Germany defeats SU, sucesfully blockades UK Isles and with churchill oremoved?

Valamyr

Banned
aktarian said:
But which also means listening them over CS issue. So no Munich, no occupation of entire Cs, no Skoda works for Germans, no CS tanks for Wehrmacht and hence less tanks for blitzkrieg.

Listening to advice doesnt necessarly mean being spineless. :) Clearly he was right in the case of the Sudentenlands.

Valamyr said:
Listening to advice doesnt necessarly mean being spineless. :) Clearly he was right in the case of the Sudentenlands.

Yes, and if you are proven right once and your advisors wrong will you trust their advice next time they tell you (not) to do something?

IMO, the only way for Germany to win the war would be for them to not go into Russia and concentrate on beating Britain first... which is tough. They still don't have the means to invade there, although they could certainly win in N. Africa and take over the Middle East (no need for Caucausus oil then). Meanwhile, they beg Japan frantically not to provoke the US into the war, if that's possible. With N. Africa and the ME gone, Britain just might sue for peace.
Of course, being Hitler, he'll want to go after Russia anyway, and Stalin has had an extra year to arm and bring more T-34's on line. So, Hitler will need to promote some frantic R&D to get Germany's tanks up to par with them before he does...

If Germany, after the fall of France, had let the UK alone (not waging the aerial Battle of Britain and the Atlantic submarine warfare), declaring an unilateral cease-fire in the West, eventually UK would come to the negotiations table.

stalin would attack germany if germany did not attack russia. therefore a quick early strike on the soviet union is essential.

i still do not see GB (especially churchill) coming to terms w/ a germany that dominates say, all of europe + n. africa + middle east + european russia (which actually seems the most realistic scenario imo). they will wait out for the us to enter the war on their side.

if dunkirk were to prove a disaster for the british and germany successfully conqurered the territories above would churchill likely fall?? if so who would replace him? a peace agreement still sounds like an unrealistic possibility. they would know quite well how power mad hitler is and they'd think its only a matter of time before they're next regardless of what comes out of his mouth.

Chruchill would definately fall if Dunkirk was a disaster. He was not popular at all in Parliament, he just got into power because he was essentially the only qualified person left after Halifax took himself out of the running. I would say getting rid of Churchill is a pre-requisite for Britain making peace with Hitler.

If Churchill falls that might make Halifax come back to take over, or perhaps they would choose someone else. Hitler probably would keep his treaty with Britain, since he regarded the British as "Aryan" and thus equal to Germany.

The Soveit Union was disliked enough that a common war against them would not be too badly disliked by many in the UK, especially as such a war would not threaten Britain so badly as a war with Hitler. There is little Stalin could do to hurt Britain, so the British role in the war would mostly be trading lots of valuable resources to Germany and maybe some naval support to the German army.

I would say the key is for Hitler to make this deal with Britain before he deals with the Soviets, that way Britain can hope the two just smash each other to nothingness and leave the door open for Britain freeing the continent later. If Germany beats the Soviets first and controls the whole continent Britain probably would not make peace.

well again i think the most realistic scenario is germany overruning n. africa + middle east (hopefully forcing peace w/ britain) than striking at the soviet union. the US of course must be kept out of the war. some think that if hiter didn't declare war on the US after pearl harbor then the US would've magically left him alone but i very much doubt this.

i can see churchill falling then britain losing the cairo-suez canal-middle east and hitler offering a very generous peace to GB (giving back most conquered territory but allowing for german use of suez + lots of the oil) which hallifax accepts. but that would have to occur before pearl harbor. with GB at peace w/ germany the US would not declare war. then hitler could turn the USSR.

Even if Germany defeats SU, sucesfully blockades UK Isles and with churchill oremoved?
1. This post makes you look completely illiterate.
2. I assume by "blockades" you mean the Germans wage a sucesful battle of the Atlantic

aktarian: That was what happened in OTL. Since Hitler was in control, and Germany had so much success early in the war, it gave Hitler the illusion that they were invincible, and that all his plans were going to work. As someone mentioned, listening to advice doesn't mean being spineless. He would still make decisions, but he would also listen to generals who had a good deal of battle experience and success, like Rommel, and the generals fighting on the eastern front.

czarist: If Germany took Europe, North-Africa, the Middle East and managed to control Russia, Great Britain wouldn't have any other choice than to surrender or make peace. Germany would have all the resources they'd need to build up a massive Navy and Airforce, and if they had, as in my original scenario, treated the slavic and Russian population better as part of their propaganda, they might even get recruits from their conquered areas as they wouldn't be as hated as they were in OTL. Stalin, after all, wasn't very well liked. Operation Sealion would be very likely in that case, and in the OTL, GB actually thought an operation like that would succeed. With all the resources and manpower (as well as lots of slavic/russian cannon fodder) they would have, Germany would have a very good chance of invading GB.

As for the US, what would they do? Where would they attack? Normandie would be a total failure, as the western Allies wouldn't have to fight a watered down version of the German military, like in OTL where the Germans were already fighting a losing war against Russia, and had little resources to spare. The invading forces would be crushed on the beaches and pushed back into the sea.