I wonder if J. Edgar Hoover and Joe McCarthy have more better reputations in this TL? I can picture them saying "See, we told ya all along and we were right!"

Hoover definitely. McCarthy may be remembered as a champion of civil rights. The country can't afford to isolate the Negro, he said in late 1951.

marathag

Banned
It rather seems to me like this war is going to go very badly for all involved....but worse for the communists.

Air Defense Command

The 5th Fighter Squadron provided air defense of the eastern United States coast, New Jersey. Aircraft included the F-94 and F-86 mid year
52nd Fighter Interceptor Wing operated at McGuire Air Force Base (New Jersey) with F-94 and starting the F-86
66th Fighter Squadron was the Alaskan Air Command, F-94, and the F-89C in September. Alaska
103rd Fighter Interception Wing got the F-84, New York, by summer.
137th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, New York, was transitioning from the F-51 to the F-94
142nd Air Defense Wing had the F-84, Washington State
354th Fighter Squadron was transitioning from the F-51 to the F-94 and F-86, California

Then some Naval Air Station, but I don't have a handy list

Tu-95 was still in testing, so it's all on the Tu-4 'Bull' aka B-29, to get to CONUS thru all that.

SAC

19,082 officers, 138,782 airmen
NameRolenumber
B-36Heavy Bomber185
B-50Medium Bomber138
B-47Medium Bomber329
B-29Medium Bomber110
RB-36Heavy Reconnaissance136
RB-50Medium Reconnaissance38
RB-29Medium Reconnaissance8
RB-47Medium Reconnaissance99
KC-97Medium Refueling359
KB-29Medium Refueling143
F-84Fighter235

Warhead count

yearUnited StatesUSSRUK
1953​
1,436​
120​
1​

Wouldn’t like to try getting through all that.

This will come in VERY handy.
Next part’s up in a couple of days. Thanks to all those who’ve replie
Is there a POD for the USSR's delivery of nuclear weapons? Because as of now in the TL, they only have the Tu-4 bomber in limited numbers to deliver to both Europe and America, while America has about ten times the amount of bombers and even more warheads on better aircraft. The USSR is going to get mauled but the USA will only suffer minor damage, probably mid-yield warheads in Alaska only, and military bases around Asia and Europe. Evidently though, it seems like Russia not only is completely and permanently destroyed, but also vilified, so they must have done some damage. It would be seen by today's standards as an act of Genocide if America plastered the USSR with nuclear weapons in 1953 and the USSR barely defended itself.

marathag

Banned
Besides the ADC and NAS fighters, Army Anti-Aircraft Command got the first Nike-Ajax SAM for Fort Meade in December, to replace the existing 120mm AAA batteries. 250 Nike Ajax sites were planned, most built by time they were being replaced by Nike Hercules in 1959.

I don't have exact dispositions at this time, but CONUS had 896 120mm and 75mm 'Sky Sweepers' in service in 1953.
Most were along the NE Corridor from Boston to DC and in Washington State on the other side ofbthe country.

250 Nike Ajax sites were planned, most built by time they were being replaced by Nike Hercules in 1959.
Central N.J. had 10 Nike Ajax bases in 1955, guarding the New York City area. Some, like Fort Hancock were upgraded to Nike Hercules. Growing up, I lived right next to one of the Ajax bases. As kids we use to dare each other to go up to the fence (the guard dogs we’d occasionally see looked as big as bears to us). It is now a public park/tennis courts. Just south of us is McGuire AFB, where that nuclear armed Bomarc missile caught fire.

ric350

Last edited:
So, the situation is that the Soviet Union and China have a major manpower advantage, and NATO has only just been created, so the integration of western nations is still an ongoing project.

Good news - the USN and RN have absurdly overwhelming sea power, the undisputed best tank in the world is British, the Hawker Hunter is on the point of ending the MiG scourge and the F-100 has just flown. The RAF is in the process of starting production and introducing strategic jet bombers and the B-47 Stratojet is in US service.

Bad news - the Soviets are getting Whiskey-class submarine production up and running, the American M48 tank has only just entered production and is very much still in the debugging phase, we don't have a heavy tank capable of reliably dealing with the IS series heavies, the Hawker Hunter is going to need a lot of debugging and the F-100 is a murdery bastard to fly at the best of times. The B-47 Stratojet is a horrible handling thing, and the British V bombers are not service-ready.

The good news is that the IS tanks will deal with themselves by breaking down constantly.

The good news is that the IS tanks will deal with themselves by breaking down constantly.
The IS-3 and 4? Yes, but the bad news is that the IS-2 is still around, which sports exactly the same armament, and generally in IRL tank battles, whoever hits first wins, so practically, armor is not as important. Their is also no L7 gun yet in 1953 so the 20 pounder vs. the D-25T is a pretty fair fight in my eyes. There is also the T-54, which entered production in 1947, which turned out IRL to be a very good tank (for the time) and quite reliable after the debugging. There were also many thousands in service, even by 1953.

I don't really think either the Centurion or the T-54 is going to make much difference though, the Soviets have a huge artillery advantage which was (is?) still the primary killer of tanks and AFVs, and generally just a huge numbers advantage.

This looks to be very promising; imo the premise of 'early nuclear war that sucks for everyone involved but doesn't collapse civilization' is very under-explored, and the tl is very well-written. I will say I'd expect Ike to be more popular than he seems to be; the Tuchman interview establishes that the consensus is that Stalin absolutely had to be stopped, and I doubt that the US will suffer much direct damage.

Last edited: